Rate member feature?

Grey

Rookie
I have a suggestion (duh) stolen from something already implement on the shoryuken.com message boards. Ratings. Every poster has a rate up and rate down button below their avatar, below that is the rate meter, represented with coloured pips. More pips, higher rating. The whole point is good posters generally get good ratings from the other members, its a way of letting somebody know they're a valued poster, or a visual cue as to 'who to listen to'. Bad idea? OK ima watch Jericho then.

I'd say that's a good idea, I'm pretty sure joeblow's perusing the boards at the moment so I'll direct him this way.

Sam

Would there be some limit as to how many ties you could rate a poster? Because I can see someone like Hellfire fucking it up for everybody.

I'm going to assume that it's one rating per poster, like it's one vote per poster per poll. Otherwise the system is far too open to abuse with petty grudges resulting in minus ratings.

Sam

used44 said:
Would there be some limit as to how many ties you could rate a poster? Because I can see someone like Hellfire fucking it up for everybody.

ROFL after the o.p. I was ready to make a joke about how low hellfire's rating would be, but you were the quicker gun.

I like the idea. My only concern is someone making a million alts and downvoting someone or upvoting himself, so if there'd be a way to police that...

/\ That would be where you lot come in to notify the mods, myself or any of the other admins of any abuse so we can sort it out. I'm sure that if Joe implements the hack he'll give us a way to control it just as we can control post counts and so on.

Sam

The_Joker said:
I like the idea. My only concern is someone making a million alts and downvoting someone or upvoting himself, so if there'd be a way to police that...

used44 said:
Because I can see someone like Hellfire fucking it up for everybody.

A certain April Fool's gag on the boards popped into my head after reading these two posts. Probably best to scrap the idea then. For each good poster we get five bad ones follow.

I thought people dislike the 'popularity contest' aspect of these boards? I don't mind the idea, but i think the system is too susceptible to abuse.

Why? Who gives a shit? It's not like a retarded post is any less retarded because of a few stars next to someones avatar.

If everyone is limited to one vote, what if some poster turns douchebag and needs a lower score than previously given? What if I changed my mind? WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE YOU ANYMORE??? You know, you gotta think about these things.

grandmagoodtimes said:
If everyone is limited to one vote, what if some poster turns douchebag and needs a lower score than previously given? What if I changed my mind? WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE YOU ANYMORE??? You know, you gotta think about these things.
The solution would be to adapt the gamespot system of rating games. You can always change the rating you give a particular game, but you can only rate it once.

I have reservations about this system due to the amount of abuse. Like the recommendation systems at other game sites, people usually give props to people who simply agree with them, not necessarily if that person speaks his or her mind. Surely, the ideal would be that only the best posters get thumbs up and the worse posters get thumbs down, but it boils down to becoming a general popularity contest (and assumes, rather economically, that people are all rational).

I'm gonna be honest. I don't like that idea very much. If everyone only has one vote, it would lose it's appeal (and usefulness) within a couple of months.

Why not a token system? Like LL... You receive tokens from reviews, blogs, every 100th post ect. You can use those tokens on things like giving someone a good token for being a good poster or bad token for being an asshat.

Just an idea.

FBF, I became an admin a couple of days ago, there's a topic in misc about it. I've changed your rank.

Sam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle