Orbis (and somewhat Durango) unmasked

GRColin

Rookie
The folks over at Eurogamer bring us an interesting article - Detailing the specs of the next gen consoles.

Distilled down to the fundamentals, these are the details we can share about the technological make-up of the next generation PlayStation.
CPU: Eight-core AMD processor running at 1.6GHz
Graphics core: Radeon HD hardware, 18 compute units at 800MHz
Additional hardware: GPU-like Compute module, some resources reserved by the OS
System-on-chip codename: Liverpool
Memory: 4GB GDDR5, 512MB reserved by the OS

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-ha ... en-console

madster111 said:
I hope that's not accurate, those specs are shit.

Thqat's kinda what I thought.Although the current gen systems didn't really have specs for a next gen console but...They seemed somewhat more impressive than this. At least there were no mobile GPUs in there of a video card from last year no less...

Lethean said:
Thqat's kinda what I thought.Although the current gen systems didn't really have specs for a next gen console but...They seemed somewhat more impressive than this. At least there were no mobile GPUs in there of a video card from last year no less...
Honestly, quickly browsing over those specs i'm kinda worried, because as far as i can tell a high clocked Haswell GT3 will almost be able to keep up, and 3.5gb of RAM for games? Shit, my version of skyrim uses more than that, and we're not even talking a next gen game.

It's especially bad if the durango/720 specs i've been seeing are accurate, because that means the PS4 will be outdated and outclassed before it even launches.

Sony, in their rush to put a cheap system on the market before microsoft, are going to fuck it up. They're already in trouble as it is - they're having to sell their buildings off - and i'm worried the PS4 will only make things worse.

My question isn't how powerful these are going to be, but instead how efficient they are. Are they going to be absolute hassles to develop for like the current gen, or are they going to be easy to make games for?

Because what we need right now isn't better graphics, more power, or any such useless additions. What we need is consoles that are easy and cheap to develop solid, well made games for. Right now, games are too power-intensive for their own good, which simply drives up costs of developing games, which creates a huge slew of other problems.

Well the PS4 is going to be much easier to develop for, and current companies who only make games for the 360 or PC are just a bunch of whiny little pussies. DirectX is easy as hell, and modern engines all have easy to use GUIs. If games are called 'harder' to make for this new gen - with all the improvements DX11 brings - you can sure that it's just a bunch of devs trying to excuse their greed.

Just look at the shit they're pulling to understand - trying to stop used sales, on disc DLC, always-online DRM. The only truly hard console to develop for is the PS3. You don't see indies complaining on XBLA or Steam, do you?
No. It's just a bunch of inefficient, greedy higher ups claiming it's hard. It's not. You don't need a multi-million dollar budget for sound production, or 50 artists. They even get to save money these days by all but eliminating play testers. When was the last time you played a game that didn't have a week-1 update?

Pretty good feeling a lot of Devs will just buy licenses to use the new unreal engine, frost bite engine, or crytek engine. All are really easy to develop in.

Hope these specs aren't true. If they are, Sony is going to get slaughtered by Microsoft next-gen and that is bad for everyone (except Microsoft). The only way I can see them making this console successful is by churning-out the absolute best library of Sony exclusives ever, and recent history leads me to believe that they can't/won't do this.

LawnGnome said:
Hope these specs aren't true. If they are, Sony is going to get slaughtered by Microsoft next-gen and that is bad for everyone (except Microsoft). The only way I can see them making this console successful is by churning-out the absolute best library of Sony exclusives ever, and recent history leads me to believe that they can't/won't do this.
They'll get a little bit of a boost from The Last Guardian and Gran Turismo 6, but i doubt it'll be enough when looking at the huge power gap between the durango. This new generation is looking bloody weird, but looking very good for microsoft because i'm betting games will be made for the 720 and ported down to the PS4 and WiiU.
At least it's not too bad - it's piss easy to port games from the xbox to the PC, so at least we'll be getting new DX11.1 games with huge, 50gb blu-ray disc textures.

The 360 used a ATI chip. The Wii used a ATI chip, The game cube used a ATI chip.
The xbox 1 used a Nvidia chip, The ps3 had a modified nvidia chip.

Consoles using ATI chips is nothing new nor is it necessarily bad.

48967_kind-of-want.jpg.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle