Limits to comedy

malakian

Rookie
So, I attended a screening and director/writer/cast Q&A of Chris Morris's four lions a week or so ago. It's a comedy about four aspiring terrorists who are all hapless and three of the four are outright imbeciles. Here's the trailer. I enjoyed the film a lot despite it's more farcical nature than Morris's usual stuff, which is largely incisive satire on the often absurd state of the media.

As terrorism is an issue which stirs a lot of feelings in many people, I think this and the predictable polarizing reaction to it is a good talking point for where boundaries should be in comedy. Should there be any at all?

I think that it depends on the intelligence behind the material, as someone like Morris tackling these subjects is a far more considered effort than some fat racist making black jokes in a club. However, I'm completely aware that such a view is quite subjective! Is it therefore flawed?

So yeah, drawing the line in comedy. Where and how?

I don't think you can, from the dead baby jokes to George Carlin's stint on how rape can be funny, there's not much left.

most alt comedy sucks, and most extreme alt comedy sucks (dick)

but nah, censoring is far worse. I say let them bomb (gET IT?!) because that'll always be funny.

I saw that film the other week, it was pretty hilarious!

I find that the line is being pushed back over time. More and more radical things are being accepted through the censors. I think it's just going to piss off the wrong guy one day. Hell, this film may have already done that!

That's an interesting question, Malakian.
To me, there seems to not be a defined line between what's funny and what's not; something black and white. It's blurred in all different ways because things that are funny to some are insulting to others.

I certainly agree with MattAY that boundaries have been stretched and this grey area seems to be expanding and shifting over time. What's comedy must be defined by each individual.

As long as it is obvious that it's a joke, and isn't directly malicious, then it's pretty much alright.

I blame the hippies. We weren't all touchy-feely towards Nazi's in World War II now where we!

You may think I'm a dick, but if dick's didn't fuck the assholes we'd all be covered in shit.

Warning: the previous post contained course language and should not have been read by children

Brass Eye, that's one of the best things I've ever seen, including Megan Fox's nipples.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod