HDTV Inquiry

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tom-, Nov 15, 2006.

1. tom-

tom- Rookie

I'm looking to make the leap to HD from SD. My spending cap is roughly $600, but its a TV for my room, so it doesn't have to be very big. Here are the 2 I'm looking at, but I'm open to suggestion.

http://www.beachcamera.com/shop/pro...m_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SYN527V&sku=SYN527V

and

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=7051687&Redir=1

I have an X2gen monitor, and it's awesome. It has a 8ms response time, though, and I'm concerned that the X2gen TV's 16ms response time will be too slow for next gen console gaming... ghosting and such. Does anyone know if that problem is as prevailant as its chalked up to be?

2. Lethean

Lethean Rookie

How big is your current monitor?

I'd say go with the first one as it doesn't have as high a response time, and yes...16ms is pretty high and noticeable.

3. tom-

tom- Rookie

My monitor is 19", 4:3.

Something I've also been wondering about... Contrast ratio.

I theorized that a lower contrast ratio would make a slower response time less noticeable in that there's less of a fluctuation between "active" and "black" for the screen to make... So maybe 16ms on an 800:1 screen wouldn't be as noticeable as 16ms on a 1000:1 screen?
    Just a thought... can anyone corroborate or disprove?

4. matdevdug

matdevdug Rookie

Some info

16 ms is still 16 ms, and while your theory is a good, sound idea, it has not held up in my limited experience. I have been able to see some, but its less of a big deal than some people make it out to be. I would go with the first one as well.