GMOs, yay or nay?

piracer

Rookie
So i was writing a paper on a pro or con of GMO and through my research i have yet to find a single case study where GMOs have benefited across the board without having some sort of nasty side effect. Can someone prove me wrong on this? Its making me wonder how the GMO companies ever got so much money/power to continue doing their experiments without being shut down.

All I'm saying is, i can't wait till people invent the ultimate GMO: a crop that can be planted ANYWHERE in the world no matter the season or climate, that is NUTRIMENT like F*** and taste great and that it's overproduction method will makes it CHEAP, closed to free even. It would be the ultimate food. Like soylent green!

But meanwhile... we got nasty S***y GMO that taste like bat crap, can only grow in certain areas, corporation makes it only available to some, destroys other businesses and the third world is still starving...

Why can't the future come a little faster?

Ah.

Well it's been said in the news here recently that a cow has been cloned, and its meat has been served to people, which they actually enjoyed.

To some though, the reaction has been a bit negative just because (and I agree with this) it is CLONED meat....CLONED. Just doesnt sit right to me, so I wouldn't eat it.

Not modified, but cloned....it's something right? ;)

I'd eat it if they managed to make a mass produce, cheap easy to produce food taste like porridge.
Providing they produce honey and sugar in equal proportion.

It helps feed the starving. A starving person could give a shit if it's GMO or not, unless they're hardcore stupid.

Monsanto, leader in GMO's, is headquartered in my hometown. Fun stuff. They have a building with no doors; it's the human research wing.

We talked about this in bio last week. Supposedly some scientists have genetically screwed with some salmon and managed to make some that are 2.5 times bigger, still follow the same breeding habits, and have shown no side effects in themselves or in eating tests so far. If that goes through, we could cut back on fishing significantly, and allow the salmon to repopulate while us humans don't have to suffer with having no fresh salmon for dinner. The whole class agreed that if GMO's could be used in this way, we could really benefit as a people.

I actually wrote a paper on this, if I find it I'll PM you for your email address. Most of the positive cases have some sort of negative backlash amongst the population that receives it (i.e. super-nutrition rice given back, or immunizing bananas rejected). It'll be hard to find a positive case.

I could be off on what you are getting at here, but unless you eat organically the majority of the food you eat is going to be some sort of GMO. Monsanto and DuPont both are very involved in genetically modifying crops, corn especially.

I mean... its not like they are putting genes in the genome of the corn so that it glows in the dark or something ridiculous like that. Its as simple as finding a gene that kills roundworms and putting that in all of their corn, or finding corn that is resistant to roundup or liberty.

I don't feel as if there is any problem with this, and like someone said earlier, if you are starving, food is food. I'm sure somewhere down the line genetically modified food is going to be linked to causing cancer in humans, but what hasn't been linked to cancer?

EvilCorn said:
I could be off on what you are getting at here, but unless you eat organically the majority of the food you eat is going to be some sort of GMO. Monsanto and DuPont both are very involved in genetically modifying crops, corn especially.

I mean... its not like they are putting genes in the genome of the corn so that it glows in the dark or something ridiculous like that. Its as simple as finding a gene that kills roundworms and putting that in all of their corn, or finding corn that is resistant to roundup or liberty.

I don't feel as if there is any problem with this, and like someone said earlier, if you are starving, food is food. I'm sure somewhere down the line genetically modified food is going to be linked to causing cancer in humans, but what hasn't been linked to cancer?

Seedless watermelon is GMO, although it can be sold organically. Weird case, they irradiate the seed before growing, stunts the seeds.

Also, hybridization is commonly mistaken as GMO. It's not. Pluots are a good example of it; it's a plum apricot cross, but it happens naturally, been around for thousand of years.

A large portion of crops like wheat and soy beans grown in the United States and Canada are genetically modified in some way; either to resist pests, drought, produce higher yields, etc.

That said, I think the worries people have over these things is a load of crap. GMO's are still natural organisms. Grafting is a form of genetic modification. Where did mules come from? Breeding which is genetic modification.

If changing the genetic code of corn or wheat or soy beans means higher profits for farmers and more food for the world then we should never look back.

See, this whole thing about getting rid of world hunger, cheaper more efficient crops have yet to bear fruit. From what i know only 2% of GMO research is being done on crops that are not subsidized. Again, all the players seem to be the most evil companies in the world, Monsanto, Cargill, etc.

You can often wax about how great a GMO is, but... theres always a but, and its usually a pretty big BUT. Bret, my email is [email protected] send it over, i would like to take a look

EvilCorn said:
putting genes in the genome of the corn so that it glows in the dark

...awesome...

Fine idea really, if all food was modified to glow in the dark refrigerators and pantries will no longer need lights, thus solving the worlds energy problems.

Another problem solved, we can all go home now.

Your welcome world.

EvilCorn said:
I mean... its not like they are putting genes in the genome of the corn so that it glows in the dark or something ridiculous like that.?

It's funny you should mention that. I read about a genetically modified plant which had a gene for bioluminescence added to it. The plant would only glow when a specific chemical from decaying land mines was present in its roots. They areal seeded fields with land mines in it and waited to see which plants glowed.

Pretty good use of GMOs.

GMOs aren't without their uses. Take you friendly neighborhood Spider-Goat for instance. I got to hear a lecture a couple years back from one of the guys who was participating in this project. There are tons of uses and we humans are good at figuring at good and bad applications.

Evil Corn said:
I don't feel as if there is any problem with this, and like someone said earlier, if you are starving, food is food.

You say that, but it's exactly what happened in China, Africa and Central America. One person would come in and tell a community that the corn/rice/whatever was made in an American lab and BOOM you had a surplus.

piracer said:
GMOs, yay or nay?

yayro.jpg

speaking strictly for the starving. of course no one is handing out free meals...so...well, damn. I'm sticking with for anyhow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle