Fighting Games..

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by MrHimashi, Sep 21, 2006.

1. MrHimashi

MrHimashi Rookie

are there any fighting games that require any skill.. i really just noticed while playing soul calibur 2 with my little brother that it requires NO skill. he beat me 2 times in a row just mashing buttons.. so really are there any fighting games out there that require skill?

2. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

skill involves blocking too :p

3. Dark_Legacy

Dark_Legacy Rookie

Yes. Especially with Namco games, blocking ascends the gameplay skill level to the next tier.

4. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

Soul Calibur does have skill to it. Mashing buttons will only get you so far, especially when you get someone who is ranked in the world.

I actually faced this guy who used the moniker DJLUVA. He is apparently ranked in the world in the top 10 a while ago. We played 10 games in a row, him winning 8 of them. Now i'm a ok player, especially with Kilik and Taki, but he kicked my ass a lot, and the times I won it was just real close and I was able to get a good enough hit on him.

I should also mention he was playing over 20 people that day. Me and 2 others were the only one who could beat him.

So Skill in Soul Calibur does exist.... button mashing isent the only way to go there.

5. Gumdrops11

Gumdrops11 Rookie

king of fighters is a great game, but it doesnt require skill. come to think of it, any fighting game thats still 2-d doesnt have much skill involved in them, its more of the combos you use. the 3-d ones i dont like, but if i got to pick, id say tekken is good, and you need skill for them. teeken i suck at, cause i know no combos or moves, and the other players kick me around in it almost every time.

6. kinkypanda

kinkypanda Rookie

yea its called DOA2U

The name of it is Dead Or Alive 2 Ultimate.It takes alot of skill to play that game.Its really hard to master that figting game try playing it on xbox live you will get your butt kick. The the games AI is really easy to play.

7. JCD

JCD Rookie

Mastering Dead or Alive's counter system is a definite show of skill and timing.

8. Guan_Yu

Guan_Yu Rookie

Virtua Fighter 4. If you button mash, you will get your ass kicked. It is so hard to master.

9. GodsNDevils

GodsNDevils Rookie

What about Mortal Kombat? Just recently Armagedon came out and there are a ton of combos you need to learn to be effective in that!

10. Guan_Yu

Guan_Yu Rookie

Mortal Kombat, while fun, is one of the easiest fighters around, right next to Street Fighter. That doesn't make it bad, it's just that it doesn't take as much skill as other fighters, like Tekken.

11. Grey

Grey Rookie

I would love to see you say that about Street Fighter at the Evo tournament.

12. Guan_Yu

Guan_Yu Rookie

I do not wish to be trampled by a bunch of skinny Asians. :(

I think that 3d fighters take more skill than 2d fighters because they allow you to sidestep attacks. It doesn't seem like much, but that adds a great twist to the game, giving the defensive player a much better edge.

I'm not saying that there is no skill in Street Fighter or 2d fighting games in general, but its pretty much a matter of block or attack, and the only way you can avoid attacks is by going up, down, or back, depending on the attack.

13. Flaming_Tiki_God

Yeah, if there is just one fighting game that takes skill, this is it.