Edit comments

Discussion in 'Support' started by UghRochester, Jul 10, 2011.

1. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

While reading some the haiku in the recent installment of "Haiku Friday," I came pass drathbone's comment. He/she was suggesting to have a edit/delete option. I don't feel too kind about the delete option, because it could cause chaos, but the edit option sounds pretty nice. I'm not a master of grammar and literature and I'm positive people hate it when I make a double post saying, "D'oh!" So going to suggest this as well. Is there a possibility we could have at least and edit option for the comments?

2. Not_Anthony_Sev

We're pitching the idea around internally. While it would be nice, it could be abused. Not just by users, but by spammers. Think how a spammer could post a normal post, then go back later and add spam links. That's just a tiny argument against it.

I also like the fact that when you post something, it's raw. Mistakes and all. It makes people think twice about what they're saying knowing they can't just go back and alter it.

That said, we're considering maybe adding the option to make a timed editing phase, something like 10 minutes after the comment is posted it can be edited, after that you're tuck with what you've got.

But even that we're not sure about. Not sure if it's a good idea, and not sure if it's something we should be focusing on programming-wise.

We have so many things we want to bring you guys, and I would hate for something like that (if it ends up being a programming clusterfuck), to slow down dev time spent on things that can propel the site and the user experience forward.

Keep the suggestions coming. Does anyone else want this feature? The more feedback we get, the better. We can't promise we'll do everything that people recommend, but we take everything into consideration.

3. NickKmet

NickKmet Regular

I don't think it's a bad idea, and at times I admit that it would be nice. But you're right, it does need to be balanced and preclude massive abuse. But you guys are smart. I'm sure you'll figure something out if you end up putting it in.

4. JunkyArd

JunkyArd Rookie

I think it would be nice to add. As for the spammer part I didn't think to much about that. Maybe make it so you have to enter one of those lame codes to be able to edit it..i dunno if that would help at all but its a thought.

5. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I think the bad outweighs the good. People could cause hell, and they will.

6. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Unnecessary. Just reply to your post with corrections if you must. The reply feature is all we needed.

7. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

And it makes it look like there are a lot more posts!

8. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Meh, if someone accidently says "awesone" instead of "awesome", people will figure out what you meant. For just grammar and spelling mistakes I dont see much of a point in it.

9. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

No.

I mean, no.

I mean, no.

I mean, no.

10. Daddio

Daddio Regular

having an admin be able to delete repeat posts would be great.