• Hamas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • USA

• Iran and Syria

• Total voters
MacPherson said:
I just think it is funny that; for thousands of years, the Palestinians and the Jewish people have been at each others throats for so long. I honestly think it is ingrained in these two cultures to hate each other.

As a Jew, these sterotypical statements piss me off. I do not hate Palestinians. I care about Palestinians as much as I care about Ugandans, Cambodians, and Luxembourgians - let them live their own lives so long as they let me live mine. We are all humans living on the only planet we have.

Also, for the record, I'm American. Just because I'm Jewish, it doesn't mean I automatically have to side with Israel on everything. In fact, I care about Israelis as much as those mentioned above. I refuse to take credit or blame for Israel just because of my religion.

I also hate when other Jews accost me because I think both sides are guilty. Quite frankly, the situation is the equivalent of a kid throwing rocks at a bee hive, and then blaming the bees for getting stung.

Quite frankly, the situation is the equivalent of a kid throwing rocks at a bee hive, and then blaming the bees for getting stung.

That is the best metaphor I have heard, explaining this conflict.

It's a well known fact that if you fuck with Israel, Israel will fuck with you 10 times harder. They're such a small country that is constantly under terrorist threat and they constantly have to send a message to their enemies that they will always get their revenge and then some.

Tylzen said:
Quite frankly, the situation is the equivalent of a kid throwing rocks at a bee hive, and then blaming the bees for getting stung.

That is the best metaphor I have heard, explaining this conflict.

This is, in fact, a horrible metaphor (and it's actually a simile).

I've been watching the forums for the past couple months and have been reluctant to post. However, the misinformation in this thread is too great considering the unfortunate topic. It would seem people would be less accepting of the points portrayed in the media regarding the Israel/Palestine conflict after the horrible debacle leading up to the USA's invasion of Iraq. Unfortunately this is not true.

We've heard of what militants in Israel and Palestine are doing and neither side is defensible. However, what has been less heard about is:

a) the disproportion of Israel's offensive. Over 700 have been killed. Approximately 500 of that is civilians, and a third of those deaths are children. People have stated this is because Hamas hides behind civilians. This is no justification when civilians are killed at a ratio of 5:1, when known UN targets such as schools are bombed.

b) Israel's embargo on Gaza. This embargo was enacted shortly after Hamas came to power in Palestine. This is perhaps the grossest and ugliest reason why the above simile is horrible. People in Gaza (mostly non-militants) are not kids throwing rocks at bee hives. They are people deprived of all but the bare minimum to live. They are deprived access to food, water, shelter, and escape. The news stories of Israelis and Egyptians guarding the borders of Gaza and sniping, gunning, and shooting down civilians trying to get to food and shelter are horrifying.

c) the ever gradual encroachment of Israel on Palestinians. Ever since Israel was founded as a state following World War II, the powers of Israel have been slowly seizing land from Palestinians. These actions have been critically deemed illegal by the United Nations and widely criticized in the international community. People argue the Israelis will be peaceful when the governors of Palestine seek peace. It is absurd to think that the people who are being plundered must be peaceful to receive peace from the thieves and murderers.

d) the rockets of Hamas and their inabilities. The terrifying rockets so widely mentioned by detractors of Palestine are so crude, especially when compared to the might of Israel's aerial bombardment. These rockets are incapable of being aimed. The Palestinian militants fire these rockets away at Israel out of rage, anger, and believing they can do little else. They fire them at Israel hoping they do damage. They have done little. Since being unleashed earlier this decade these rockets have killed no more than 30 Israeli civilians. In the period leading up to Israel's invasion they had killed none in the preceding weeks. Why Israel suddenly decided to invade Gaza after nearly a decade of receiving rockets (and you should see just how ineffective some of these rockets are), and when no one had been killed after the ceasefire expired on Dec. 19th, is up for debate. It is interesting that Israel is approaching elections and the party responsible for invading Gaza was severely lagging in the polls. That party is now gaining ground with its opponents.

e) the involvement of the USA. To the tune of $3 billion dollars in aid each year, nearly all spent on military, Israel is aided and funded by the USA. It is illegal for weapons sold to Israel to be used in the manner in which they are. However, the Congress remains silent on the matter just as Barack Obama has.

It is frightening to see the overwhelming support for Israel, by the USA, the media, and this forum. Neither Israel nor Palestine is justified. But it is grossly inhumane to think that Israel has the right to self-defense it has exhibited. This is the truly ugly aspect of modern war. After the trenches were left in World War I, the horrors of war took to acts such as the abominable fire bombing of Dresden and atomic bombs on Japan. The role of civilian has gone from detractor of war to war's most popular body bag.

Self-defense allows for the right of the person who has been harmed to face his aggressor. War is completely at odds with this notion. If Person B harms Person A then Person A is only justified in retaliating against Person B. If Person A attacks or harms or kills Person C then Person A is morally indefensible. Unfortunately today, Person C is a sickening number of Palestinians.

Israel seized lands after it was created because they were attacked, fought back and won, which got them more land; they didn't just go out and take it for no reason.

Israel is surrounded by its enemies and they're so damn small. If they fuck up just once Israel could easily cease to exist. I know it's very bad, but they're doing this for their survival as a nation.

I'm very tired of this war. People constantly slam Israel for many reasons, but just because the Holocaust opened many people's eyes to antisemitism, it didn't stop. It is very rampant in the world, especially in those areas. As a jew, I don't side with Israel simply out of pride, or the fact that a suicide bomber nearly blew up my grandma. I think that a country needs to deal with terrorists. There will casualties on either side, Israel just has the power to choose. We have to just wait if Hamas is OK with that.

If you don't pick a fight, there won't be one. But it will be a long time before people realize that.

Ted_Wolff:
I don't know where you have you numbers from ,or fact.

But I have people from Israel on my MSN, who I speak with on a regular basis, plus they are all or have been in the army.

But even most european news confirms that 1/4 of the casulaties are civilians.

Plus that UN school that was bombed, it is surprisingly few news site that actually tell that Israel actually have FOOTAGE of morter grenades being fired from the building.

Hamas are known for using civilians buildings as their launch sites.

They have been seizing land from the Palestine because they kept getting attacked by them, also they have removed settlements on the West bank, and they left Gaza in 2002.

Because Hamas can't afford laser guided missiles, it is okay for them to send rockets from their borders into Israel.
Trying to targetting the civilian population.

Israel are trying to prevent civilian casulties, with more than 750 airstrikes, and 1000 buildings put down in one of the world's most densly populated area, only 400 or so were killed,
100 of them were civilians (by numbers that have not been confirmed by any western media).

Hamas does not wear any colours, when they are brought to hospitals, you can't see them apart from any other civilian.

Latest news is that rockets are now being fired into the northern parts of Israel from Lebanon, probably Hezbollah,.

Rofl at all this stupid bs people are posting. Britain gave the land to the jews. The jews just got slaughtered 6 million of them so they accepted that land from the British. Who wouldnt? Now that land was also promised to the palistinians, they got screwed over.

If you are north american and disagree that the jews have the right to live on that land, you can leave, because if you did not know this land was taken from native americans.you living on it and disagreeing would make you a hypocrite.

People come on. If my neighbour threw pebbles at my house and threaten to kill me and my family. how long would it take for me to do something?

Hezzbolah does not speak for all the palistinian people. Most want peace and have no hope for a good life. Because the terrorist organizations convince people with religion and other propaganda to do their will so they can make profit and have lots of power.

Hezzbolah or however u spell it is mainly a syrian terrorist group that wants this wants this war to continue. Because as we all know they all want the jews gone. Palistinians are not only treated bad by israel ( Israel gives palistians electricity and food and schooling , the U.N also gives them food and schooling.) Almost all other arab countries do not take care of the palistinians its all propaganda and hate. Religion shouldnt be use for these purposes but that is the main reason for all this war. Religion can be a scary thing because people will use it so they can get power.

It is Hamas in Gaza (Palestine)
Hezbollah is in Lebanon :) The northern country, they hold the southern region. They had a minor war with Israel in 2006.

I am with Tylzen on this one.

the UN is to blame the let Israel being born on the are and stealing of the Palestinians land.

Israel was ready to accept peace but the Hamas who are too extreme wants everything back (which is not happening and unreasinable) so the Hamas is to blame.

The Hamas is not all evil and Israel is not all white.If the Fatah was still in power, peace would have been achieved already.... Hamas don,t want peace, they want Israel destroyed.

Damn it's the same thing as if The United State Declared their independance and 60 years later, UK wants their lands back by killing your civilians and not fearing to kill any civilians of it's OWN people to succeed......

The Hamas, in time of Truce, showed to be kind to it's people in some way (corruption is very low, criminality dropped a lot.... funny what you can do with a gun hu?) and some jobs were made. But the Hamas knows that Israel hold their lifelines.... If Israel make a blockade, then Gaza will not hold a month.... Even though they hate Israel....Israel have the upper in military might and ressources...it would be foolish to try to oppose the sleeping Lion.

Now, Israel decide to go to War and everyone talks about how bad they are. do you know many country who will tell their enemy population WHERE they are going to bombard?

Didn't think so. I am sure many atrocities will be done by both side in the conflict (you cannot control all men..... just look at SOME ,and I underline SOME, USA troops in Irak).

I would cooperate with Israel but then again, even though I work with fine and funny muslims at my job (yes, who go pray everyday) who are very religious and love them.... The poverty and harsh life in that area is so great that the only hope people have is to believe in God.... and try to twart his words into what you want them to mean for your own gain. The people of Gaza are desesperate (hell, even the people of most of the Arabic nations) and resort to the only mean to have to be heard....violence.

As one of my blog said, Islam is in the same stage that was christianity during the inquisition.... misinterpreted and lead to murders and Atrocity. I read the Coran out of curiosity and you wouldn't believe the contradiction I found in that book and what is happening right now.

We are going Allah's will? I don't think so asshole.....

Anyway, Israel by 5 with a final score of 5-0 even though Israel are the visitor at the Gaza sport stadium :) .

Again, the useless analogy of "throwing pebbles at a house with threats to kill" is being made.

This is the realistic analogy:

House A (Gaza) tosses pebbles at House B (Israel). House B retaliates by heaving boulders on House B. Inside House A are people who a) throw the pebbles and b) innocent civilians. Both are killed, with more innocents than not. The innocents try to flee from the house to seek shelter and food. Except when they leave their house they are walled in. A giant wall surrounds them with members of House B refusing to help innocents in House A. Also, along with denying aid, House B prevents anyone wishing to tell about the situation in House A from entering the wall around the house.

It is a bit unbelievable to read that the hundreds of dead, the thousands of wounded, who are innocent bystanders, are the cost that must be paid for Israel to defend itself. This is the country that a) defeated 4 countries and killed ~21,000 while taking a loss of 800 in the Six-Day War; b) defeated 3 countries and killed ~10,000 while taking a loss of ~2,500 in the Yom Kippur War; killed ~10,000 while taking a loss of ~700 in the Lebanon War; and killed ~1,100 Lebanese civilians while sustaining 44 civilian losses in the Second Lebanon War.

This is a country that has the backing of aid and military support of the biggest Western government, the USA, a country with a far superior and technologically advanced military. To say that Israel must attack its "bigger" surrounding enemies to survive is a stretch of the widest imagination.

Neither Hamas nor Israel are defensible here. When Hamas launches rockets at Israel, rockets without targeting, continually, it is committing terror and the egregious act of targeting civilians by the lack of its precision. When Israel bombs schools, police stations, and the largest market in Gaza, even to kill a militant, a few militants, even a score of militants, with the additional price of scores of civilian lives, it, too, is committing terror and the egregious act of targeting civilians. And when Israel enforces a deadly blockade that prevents aid to the thousands wounded and journalists into Gaza, it is effectively caging the members of the Gaza Strip and starving them to death of life and truth.

Lastly, it is beyond fantasy to claim Israel, in the 1960s, had the right to effectively colonize land that was not its own in the post-colonial era. The debate can run for days as to who was at fault for the Six-Day War. The facts of the matter are, though, that Israel a) officially launched the war and b) seized and occupied land that was not its own and to this day refuses to fully return this land. Yes, Israel retreated from Gaza (and erected a blockade in its stead), and Israel remains in the West Bank. This is tantamount to saying, "Hey, al-Qaeda attacked the USA, so now the USA can go into Afghanistan and claim land for itself. Oh, and when Afghanis attack USA civilians living on their occupied land, the USA has a 'right to self-defense'."

I just want to know why US is up there for the blame...
We havent done really anything, have we? Havent read into this much, but i havent heard anything about it...

I support Israel. They warned Hamas to halt the rocket attacks and even made a plea to Palestinian citizens (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7799593.stm) to cease the strikes or Israel would respond.

The fact is that Hamas is the real issue. The majority of Palestinian citizens can't really be held accountable for the actions of an extremist minority. However the tactics employed by Hamas make it difficult to root them out as they hide amongst civilians. Perhaps Isreal could employ more subtle techniques (such as giving greater power to Mossad to track and assassinate/arrest suspected senior Hamas members) which would perhaps result in less collateral damage (I hate that term). In future we should settle these kinds of conflicts in a big ring. Kind of like Thunderdome. It would cut back on costs, like tens of thousands of civilians.

Uver said:
We havent done really anything, have we? Havent read into this much, but i havent heard anything about it...

The US and Israel are buddies. However, the only reason they are is that most Americans believe that the second coming will take place in Jerusalem and it will be easier for Jesus to kill most of the Jews if they're in one place.

TheZoomZoomKid said:
Uver said:

The US and Israel are buddies. However, the only reason they are is that most Americans believe that the second coming will take place in Jerusalem and it will be easier for Jesus to kill most of the Jews if they're in one place.

:lol:

Nurgey said:
I support Israel. They warned Hamas to halt the rocket attacks and even made a plea to Palestinian citizens (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7799593.stm) to cease the strikes or Israel would respond.

The fact is that Hamas is the real issue. The majority of Palestinian citizens can't really be held accountable for the actions of an extremist minority. However the tactics employed by Hamas make it difficult to root them out as they hide amongst civilians. Perhaps Isreal could employ more subtle techniques (such as giving greater power to Mossad to track and assassinate/arrest suspected senior Hamas members) which would perhaps result in less collateral damage (I hate that term). In future we should settle these kinds of conflicts in a big ring. Kind of like Thunderdome. It would cut back on costs, like tens of thousands of civilians.

Hamas got into power at Gaza by a democratic vote! They got the majority, and then they kicked out Fattah from Gaza, so the people in Gaza voted for HAMAS!.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133