24/7 Speedrunners' Marathon for Cancer Prevention

A birdy told me this hadn't been linked yet. It started Sunday and is going a solid week, so there're still a couple days left if you haven't been watching, and therefore missed the all absolutely ridiculous glitch exploits. Schedule. Clear your calendar for Cosmos's 3d Zelda runs in particular; they're worth it.

Oh yeah, it's actually thanks to Affen, I think, that the chat found out about that. So shoutout to him. :)

Also, just a note that Cancer Prevention Foundation is an actual organization, and that this isn't fundraising for prevention as a general concept. :p

Yeah, I've been watching since... Well, I've forgotten which day, but it's been running on my computer for a long time. I've seen some crazy crazy runs... like Monkey Ball! Super impressive. I have now decided that I'm going to dedicate the rest of my life to speedrunning some games, because of the... three? females I've seen over the course of the week, two died all the time, and one just knitted. So yeah. I don't usually like to make things about gender, but sometimes......

There haven't been any female solo runs at all I think. One was co-op in Mario Bros. Wii and the other raced against a guy in Zero Mission (losing by something like twenty minutes).

The F-Zero GX very hard mode thing was probably the craziest I've seen. Apart from one stage taking an extra try, he first-attempted every story mission and hit the credits without a bead of sweat. "This one's really tough. Do you want us to be quiet?" "Nah, I'm fine."

Oh, well the best you can do to fight cancer is to donate something. They're reading out most of the donations, so you can also have a cool message read out to the people, woo!

You don't need a 3DS, Wicked... what? It's just watching guys speedrun games and donating to meet challenges or vote for an outcome or whatever. Like for a guy to take his shirt off. Or, more relatedly, to save or not save animals.

This isn't something you take part in. If there was any confusion: I didn't mean 3d Zelda as in the one for the 3DS. I meant Cosmo's Ocarina of Time and his Wind Waker speedruns coming up. The OoT one will abuse a cutscene number-rewriting bug that lets him walk from the first boss room right to the top of Ganon's tower (which is why the estimated time is under half an hour). The Wind Waker run will make use of a couple zombie-hovers and numerous superswims--which let Link to swim backwards at mach speed and bypass all the sailing.

Sightless said:
...to save or not save animals.

Or the cruelest Super Metroid donation option of just taunting them. You'd open the door like you're going to let them out, then just turn around and walk away. :(

Oh yeah, thanks to the guys in chat for enlightening me to this. I watched it last night. VVVVVV impressed the hell out of me.

I saw Super Mario World earlier in the week too. Im also looking forward to their FF9 run!

I've been watching this like a madman. This is the second year that I'm tuning in and I start slowly recognizing the people which is fun. Still looking towards the Super Mario 64 run.

You don't even need to donate to help out. Just by watching you're giving money to the cause by advert money.

OH HIIIIIIII!!!!!
I think I know who Festival-Temple is. I watched it all night on Monday, remember that Sightless, huh? Remember that? Remember how I had to chase down the pizza guy, remember that? Yeah, people should join our chat. It's pretty fun in there when everyone is awake.

If you're not sleeping, then you might as well be not sleeping and watching the marathon! ;)

I just got in, and I'm completely gutted that I missed out on most of the FF IX Pt 1 run, and most of Zelda runs, too. I'm going to be out tomorrow as well... so I'm going to miss FF IX Pt 2 and most of Wind Waker!! :'(

Currently watching the later part of 100% OoT run. I enjoy that the runner is dressed up.

Haven't watched a second. Does that make me a horrible person? I guess I just never understood the appeal. I'd rather be playing the games....

Anika made me turn on the last few seconds of FFIX, which was their final game. Then it was just a guy thanking everybody.

I'm not one to watch Speed runs either – or somebody online playing games at all, for that matter. But hey it was for charity. I bought one of their t-shirts while I was at the site, so I guess I helped.

Yeah, I wish you could have seen something a little more entertaining, used. Even if you're not interested in watching speedruns, the experience of the event, the extra tidbits they did (shirtless arm wrestling, gangnam style dance, wearing all the sunglasses), and hearing all the funny donation comments was quite fun.

I'm a little saddened that my donation comment didn't get read, but I included a shoutout to Affen, for introducing me to the marathon, and to everyone else in the GR community. Always thinking of you guys. ;)

For me it's not just about the game being played, it's also about the runner and the crowd reactions. Some give really interesting commentary during their play and you can imagine that speedrunners who dedicate so much time for a single game are not the most basic blokes. I don't normally watch gameplay videos or let's plays, but events like this are an exception.

Anywhoo, the bonus stream is still going on for couple days. Schedule is whoever, whatever, whenever. Don't miss out :wink:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod