Your top 5 albums of 2012

Wes

Rookie
Dan is doing the best 2012 games for the site.
WickedFilmHead is doing best movies of 2012.

But what about music?

Music is way too subjective so I'm not going to make a best of. Just list your top 5 favorite albums from this past year and talk a bit about why you liked them.

Mine are

#5 Fiona Apple
The Idler Wheel
Or if you want to get fancy; The Idler Is Wiser is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do. Just for that title alone. But many fall nights I listened to this on the way home from work and it relaxed me after many stressful days.

#4 Dinosaur Jr.
I bet on the Sky
The reunion album I've been waiting from this trio for awhile. I love the album from the opening tack Don’t Pretend You Didn’t Know, to the heavy single Watch the Corners. A great rock album in a sea of Gagnam Style.

#3 Deftones
Koi No Yokan
More on the melodic side but still heavy screams that hit you in the gut. Deftones are hit and miss but here they hit, hard.

#2 Nada Surf
The Stars Are Indifferent to Astronomy
Nostalgic, openly contemplative tracks about life past, present and future. This album reminds me of youthful years. I loved Smashing Pumpkins, they had songs about being young while I was young. Now that I'm old I feel this album understands life in the last 20's and early thirties, and takes you back to those years in the 90's when you were young.

#1 Jack White
Blunderbuss
The man who is saving rock and roll. The one and only Jack White. Blunderbuss is an incredible ablum, my favorite of the year.

Nice list!

Here's mine

How to Destroy Angels - An Omen
howtodestroyangelsanome.jpg

Keep it Together

4. Metz - Self Titiled
homepage_large.37519bdc.jpg

Wet Blanket

3. Jack White - Blunderbuss
starbuckscdjackwhiteblu.jpg

Freedom at 21

Deftones - Koi No Yokan
koi-no-yokan.jpg

Tempest

Japandriods - Celebration Rock
japandroids-celebration-rock.jpeg

The House that Heaven Built

I have to listen to this Fiona Apple album. I keep hearing amazing things about it.

#1: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die

#2: Archive - With Us Until You're Dead

#3: Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix

#4: Linkin Park - Living Things

#5: Billy Talent - Dead Silence

Not an amazing year for albums IMO. I discovered a lot of older music that has already been around (read: trip-hop). Last year I would be very hard pressed to make this list

#1 El-P-Cancer-4-Cure

#2 Gorillaz

#3 Brad Sucks
His albums are free on his website

#4 Deltron 3030

#5 FLCL OST 1 2 3
Warning its The Pillows a Japanese band

Not really ranked, just listed. And the last one is really just a filler since I couldn't think of another one.

Tame Impala - Lonerism
Tame-Impala-Lonerism.jpeg

Passion Pit - Gossamer
cover.jpg

The xx - Coexist
packshot.jpg

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis - The Heist
macklemore-and-ryan-lewis-The-Heist.jpg

Of Monsters and Men - My Head is an Animal
monstersandmen.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to give the Fiona Apple and Jack White album a shot.
I wouldn't say it's been a weak year for music, but there wasn't much out there for me so I spent most of my year listening to the classics.

There's a couple of exceptions. Mayer Hawthorne's How Do You Do. It's The Temptations with 21st century swag. Fun, short album. (it was also released at the end of 2011...oops)

And Deftones' Koi No Yokan. Rosemary, on repeat. *drooling foolishly*

Not in any real order. I found many good older albums this year, but these were the first to come in mind from 2012.

tumblr_mb6my1NV001qcowxmo1_1280.jpg

Right Away, Great Captain! - The Church of the Good Thief

The story of a 17th century sailor came to conclusion with this final part of a concept album trilogy. Have a listen if you like folk rock.

tumblr_lxnjhm1Mzl1rn5mato1_500.jpg

Alcest - Les Voyages de l'Âme

If I'd have to describe it one word it would be beautiful. Shogaze/Black Metal/Whatever from the beginning of the year, but I didn't listen to it until the fall which it fits perfectly.

The+Lion's+Roar.jpg

First Aid Kit - The Lion's Roar

Almost forgot this one. Another from the beginning of the year. Fleet Fox style folk music with 2 great female vocals.

The new Beach Boys album deserves a mention too. Everything past and including the song From There To Back Again were great.

Holy Hipster music batman.

And I thought I liked music no one had ever heard of.

That said.. I absolutely love music, but tend to just find it by clicking the next video that sounds interesting on Youtube. Or "you might like" on iTunes.

So I really don't know what I listen to and like that was released this year.

intoTheRain said:

Way to sound like a hipster.

I'm just scanning this thread to make sure there is no nickelback or any Canadian pop bands posted. All is well so far.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
intoTheRain said:

I'm just scanning this thread to make sure there is no nickelback or any Canadian pop bands posted. All is well so far.

I thank god(whichever one you can think of) every day hipsters haven't hit middle america.

Eyebrowsbv31 said:
intoTheRain said:

that makes sense.

oh wait no it doesn't!

the music posted so far is basically the definition of hipster music. doesn't make anyone a hipster.

i have the smiths, stars, the zolas, florence + the machine, etc. on my playlist, and love all of it, and it's "hipster" music. was just a statement not a diss.

be less sensitive guys

for the record i can't stand hipsters though, my last, and final roommate was a hipster, and my God was that an annoying year in my life.

Sourdeez said:
Eyebrowsbv31 said:
intoTheRain said:

I thank god(whichever one you can think of) every day hipsters haven't hit middle america.

They're quite prevalent in NE, especially the Lincoln area. But then again it's a pretty big college town. But for the most part, I actually like the "hipster" scene, so it doesn't bother me.

Green_Lantern said:
They're quite prevalent in NE, especially the Lincoln area. But then again it's a pretty big college town. But for the most part, I actually like the "hipster" scene, so it doesn't bother me.

I like good music and good people but Im not into being into fashion. weather its the punks, the goths, the hipster, the gangstas, or the hippies. Same goes for "status items". The vehicle you drive has no relation to how much you are worth as a person and no you dont need 18inch gold rims. Really I would prefer if everyone would try to do there own logical things than try to do whatever is "hip" but as long as your being yourself I wont hate you.

I mean look at how funky Daniel is and I dont hate him :lol:

Im also not into the whole "The only thing thats cool is things that are unheard of" Dont get me wrong, they force some crud though the mainstream sometimes but that doesn't mean something good isnt there from time to time. Basically I hate people who dont have open minds or decide what other "hipsters" think about something is the thing they have to think. Fuck fascism

In no particular order:

And it's not really an album, but fuck you:

Sub Focus + Knife Party/Pendulum is the reason i go through headphones like they made of paper.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VoHoYo