Yooka-Laylee and why Playtonic won't get my money

De-Ting

Rookie
I hate that I feel like I have to make this topic. Honestly. I was excited about Yooka-Laylee and had no reason to doubt whether I was going to love it or not, but I refuse to buy it now, no matter how good it is.

The short version of the story is: Playtonic has made some very, very stupid, selfish, and anti-consumer decisions in the past few days. Essentially, they had a fly land on their hand and dealt with it by cutting off their entire arm.

This all came about when Playtonic jumped the gun after they where told about one of their vocal contributors making some strange political remarks during a podcast after the host turned the discussion sour. Without hesitation, and without reaching out for any sort of clarification, they cut the contributor's lines from the game.

Now here's where the proverbial crapfest really begins.

They made a statement about it, claiming that they wanted everyone to feel comfortable playing their game, and severing all ties to the contributor was the best course of action. Of course, people who backed the game on Kickstarter began asking for refunds. In response, Playtonic began deleting their threads and banning them, both from their own forums and the game's Steam discussions. The moderators responsible for this then began posting about it on Twitter, insulting the users who requested refunds.

The vocal contributor in question is Jon Jafari, better known as JonTron. He has explained what happened, and you are encouraged to watch his response here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVcz5cgUbbA

Now, Playtonic could still fix all of this. They just need to own up to their mistakes and try their best to fix what they've broken. However, the problem here goes far beyond this one predicament, and beyond Playtonic and games in general. People these days are so quick to judge, take offense, and act irrationally, and all about the smallest possible things. Our society is cannibalizing itself. If you're reading this, please, keep a cool head, consider the consequences of your actions, and treat others the way you want them to treat you.

Wait, these twits actually started shit with JonTron? The guy the majority of the youtube community actually likes?
Just after the WSJ and others got their assholes reamed doing this exact same shit from going after pewds, who half the youtube community hates?

I really, REALLY hope these dumbasses try to deny an australian a refund. Makes me wish i bought the game just so i could be denied my refund and have the ACCC bitchslap them so hard they hear it on the ISS.

It's ridiculous which people get undeserved support from gamers. I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of the JonTron controversy beyond the headlines and a few paragraphs read, but just, cut your losses guys.

Silencing people asking for refunds, or not issuing refunds is another issue.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with used on this.

I think the decision to distance him from your product was a sound business one, given what happened, and people are stupid for asking for refunds over it. But their attempts to squash opposition by silencing those asking for refunds is really the thing they're doing wrong.

Jontron is a personality, and as such he should expect that if he's going on political debate podcasts that it will affect him.

I think you guys are focusing on names too much.

The point is pandering to angry, hypersensitive people, like with the Colin Moriarty tweet, is poor business practice and it's going to cost you.

Longo_2_guns said:
Yeah, but so is arguing that black people have a predisposition to crime.
"I said a lot of stuff that could be misconstrued in all sorts of ways. Things are being extracted from this that I know I don't think. I was in there under a lot of pressure that I'm not used to being under, and it became clear I suck at debate. So now every haphazard, offhand remark I made in the heat of the moment is being dissected and speculated on...

...just for the sake of total clarity, I do completely understand that the African-American community has had a raw deal in this country. Discrimination certainly exists, but I do believe it goes all ways.

...any of the things in the stream that could be considered weird-sounding or off-putting, I probably agree with you that they were."

Like I said, he's a personality. The perception of him is his brand. The issue isn't how he presented his argument, it's that he readily went into a debate to argue a divisive, inflammatory perspective. Which means now there is a tie between JonTron's brand and his political stance.
Which he could change, but instead he doesn't give an apology or go back on anything he said, other than "there is no discrimination," which he instead changed to "everyone faces discrimination." He doesn't say he doesn't believe it, but instead that he argued it poorly.

They made a decision to drop him because he tainted his brand. It was a business decision.

I'm actually glad they did this and I'll buy 10 copies. People can't get away with derogatory remarks and nasty statements like that. People also forget that just because you have free speech doesn't mean it's always right. Good on Playtonic for standing up for their beliefs and what's right.

I'm so sick and tired of people defending this shit. Oh wow, someone has to actually take responsibility for their actions like an adult? So let's blame groups like SJW's or Democrats because we're special snowflakes and never got in trouble or were held responsible for the bad things we did as a kid.

Yeah, fuck you.

You know, not for nothing...but the minute folks start putting personal politics on the line for a video game, it's the minute I can't help but laugh at such a situation.

Not necessarily due to the fact that the mods at Playtronic are wrong for shutting down criticism for their game. That is a dumb move I agree.

But by that same token, removing Jafari from the game is the right of the developers, for whatever reason. If people don't like it, let them complain.

But then again, a lot of people complaining are also a bit hypocritical as well. But I guess that is the nature of the beast when it comes to polarizing societies such as today.

Well, they got my money. I hated that guy anyway. Only liked the parrot. Not even the parrot with the dubbed-in voice over... literally the parrot itself. Vanilla parrot, sans dlc.

and Rare--er, Playtonic's N64 platformer formula seems to have remained intact from every video I've seen. That's a day-one buy for me, with or without the YouTube """""Celebrity""""".

While I'm searching every nook and cranny for those final coins, and getting lost in teenage nostalgia on a mine kart level, I doubt I have the clarity of mind to think, "Could've been better with what's-his-face."

The game
Some dude

I hate how people are calling this politics. It was downright racism and discrimination. There's no politics there. It had nothing to do with Democrats or Republicans. This is right and wrong here. I'm so glad people think that these two things are now a political subject rather than a humanitarian subject. I feel bad for any target or victim from things like this.

Nearly everyone defending him just read the headlines. They didn't bother listening to the God awful two hour rant that made me want to kick his teeth in. It's painful to listen to, and to Jon's ONLY credit, it's pent up from years of not getting his opinion out on anything and he finally blew. I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did. Every famous YouTuber eventually blows their lid on their view of life and political views.

I have friends, people in my family, co-workers, employees, that are affected by shit that Jon says every day and it's sad. I just shake my head and pity these damn people.

He'll suffer the consequences, though. He's an adult now and has to face it just like everyone else when they make bad decisions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle