Why can't we riot like the Brits?

I'm ashamed of how the riots turned out, I'm all for freedom of speech and the right to protest and I'm disgusted by the rise in tuition fees (which are high enough to essentially render only the well off worthy of higher education) but by becoming violent the students involved have proved nothing except that they are animals undeserving of the education for which they were fighting.

maca2kx said:
I'm ashamed of how the riots turned out, I'm all for freedom of speech and the right to protest and I'm disgusted by the rise in tuition fees (which are high enough to essentially render only the well off worthy of higher education) but by becoming violent the students involved have proved nothing except that they are animals undeserving of the education for which they were fighting.

What are the costs at? A cheap local college (excluding community college) can run about 10k a year without scholarships or anything, and that's as low as it gets usually.

My, my. All this violence towards a Tory window! One can scarcely believe it. It's almost as if one of the ruling parties had completely betrayed their electorate by reneging and doing the polar opposite of a earnestly promised election pledge...

Yeah, I hate this. they're doing it to lower the student numbers. But to do that, surely they should just make the exams harder. Raising fees just makes it unfair for the able-but-poor to go to uni. It's a poor decision. I've always wanted less doctors in my life.

article-1328385-0C00F467000005DC-643_634x423.jpg

Dude! We had that back int the 90's, haircut and all! And it was called a pajama jammy jam!

hp2.gif

see?

And the way i see it, i don't think rioting all the time is a good way to let your voice heard. Trust me on that, i used to live in Paris: No buses, no restaurant, no school, no work, no electricity for one day and tear gas smell on every corner, and why? Because the government was going to remove a symptom covered on their health plan back in 2002. Booo hooo hooo! God i hate the french...

maca2kx said:

That's how I felt when the Black Bloc tactics were used in Toronto during the G20/G8 summit.

WickedLiquid said:
maca2kx said:

That's how I felt when the Black Bloc tactics were used in Toronto during the G20/G8 summit.

Fact: Non-violent protests accomplish NOTHING.

What about Ghandi?

Non-violent protests show your civility. Nothing says "We're a whole bunch of undeserving faggots who need to be clamped down upon" faster than a riot.

Or the civil rights movements. They showed how much of a douche the white supremacist south was by being pacifist!

In both, Ghandi's India & the Civil rights movements, there were factions of violent opposition everywhere and when a country is going through inner turmoil the higher ups like to present the pacifist leaders to public because they obviously don't want people becoming militant. There were armed militant groups ALL over India, and we already know about the nation of Islam, and the black panthers. It is unfair to say that non-violent protests ALONE have given us all the privileges we enjoy. Non-violence doesn't help to further any agenda, but it makes people feel warm and fuzzy inside. "Violent" protesters need the non-violent saps to keep the police from clamping down hard on them.

blah blah blah
Heres my point: Non-violent protesters NEEEEEDDD violent opposition for leverage in negotiations - they need violence as an alternative or NO ONE will listen to them and NOTHING will result in their very beautiful parades.

I like how the media - props up pictures like the kid with the dumb haircut as "real anarchists" - or the brunt of the violent movement. That idiot and his friends may very well be kids just acting out. But the media tries to portray ALL "violent" activists as looking like this kid - but they know that the damage caused by protesters during G20 were REALLY well coordinated, and couldn't have been pulled off by kids. People like that idiot with his face showing and spray painting crap are good decoys in a real protest.

-still, when kids respond like that to an increase in tuition - you better believe they will think twice before trying to impose something similar again. Let me know how it turns out - does the tuition get lowered? I'm betting it will to some extent.

You call it rioting - I call it civil disobedience.
(and at what level does civil disobedience become violent? Where is the line for you? Vandalism? Heavy Property damage? obstruction of traffic? )

UrbanMasque said:
still, when kids respond like that to an increase in tuition - you better believe they will think twice before trying to impose something similar again.

LOL, was that a joke?

You can't just start a fucking riot when you're unhappy about your government. Ever heard of two wrongs don't make a right? Yeah, I'm pissed off at the government so I'm gonna smash up a store where kids like me work and now they won't be able to go to work and won't get paid... YEAH! THAT'LL SHOW EM! :roll:

If anything, violence justifies increased police presence and the only ones who pay are the tax-payers.

Brits don't know how lucky they have it. Their cops don't even carry guns...

article-1328385-0C00F695000005DC-998_634x382.jpg

Ummmm, we got shields....?

It must be easy to riot when all you have to worry about is a whistle. Of course I don't want cops shooting at people which is why I'm saying they got it pretty good.

WickedLiquid said:
You can't just start a f****** riot when you're unhappy about your government. Ever heard of two wrongs don't make a right?

Was THAT a joke? American history is FULL of people who did just that. Who the heck are you to sit on a throne and look down on people so disenfranchised that they feel like violence is their only voice. Ok Mr. history scholar - lets talk about levels vandalism that did nothing but spur violent backlash - what was the Boston tea party? Grown men dressed as Indians dumping very valuable tea into Boston harbor (vandals or revolutionaries?) It is ridiculous to call them justified, but consider the kids in England or the black bloc in Toronto juvenile.

And the term Rioting is so callous. Riots are disorganized and usually not backed by an agenda. Protests are very deliberate and purposeful.

BlackStar said:
Brits don't know how lucky they have it. Their cops don't even carry guns...

Not been over here have you? I can't walk outside without seeing the old bill caressing a rifle.

UrbanMasque said:
American history is FULL of people who did just that.

You're seriously going to use American history to justify rioting? Which parts are we talking about? The embarrassing parts where the white man took over the land and called it their own? Or just the happy times like when we abolished slavery or evolved from our prejudice ancestors?

Rosa Parks didn't set the bus on fire. Just so you know... There is a right way to protest and a wrong way.

And besides, we live in a different time now. Today everyone is considered equal and protected under those laws. This isn't a third world country. We all have freedoms and rights. I don't agree with raising tuition but when people start rioting (and YES, this is a riot despite your logic) the only ones who suffer in the end are the tax payers.

I'm Canadian, not American, So I mentioned what happened here: the G20 riots in Toronto. What did all that rioting accomplish? NOTHING. The only ones who suffered were the kids who worked at Starbucks and Mickey D's who couldn't go into work because the store was smashed up. You don't send a message to these "big bad corporations" by going after the kids who are just trying to make their way through college.

The ones who were supposed to get the message obviously didn't. The only message it sent was that pretentious anarchists who caused all this damage take their freedoms and rights they have today for granted. Two wrongs don't make a right and to think it does makes one a hyproctie.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaminglovex