Whatcha Doin?

yorky

Veteran
Having just recently decided to check in on the boards, I was just wondering who is around these days, and what you guys are doing currently in your lives?

So what's new? What have you accomplished lately? What's fallen through?

Bear it all. Think of it as your LinkedIn Profile, only people are going to read it.

Hah, nice.

I'm not sure if we know one another, yorky, but it's nice to make your acquaintance.

I'm currently on recreation (vacation) leave from work... I've been off since the 27th of December and I don't go back until the 2nd of February. During this time, I've been doing a lot of house work... lots of cleaning, as well as practicing my cooking.

My full time job, I'm a multimedia developer for our state's government, helping to create educational, health based resources, and some government promotional stuff. In truth, I'm seeking a new job, because I've been in this position for almost six years and sadly, there's no room for me to grow or expand. If I want to earn more money - I need a new job.

I used to draw comics here at GameRevolution, drawing "GR Strips" once a week... but I drew my last comic at the end of December, making the decision to leave GR Strips. I want to try and start my own website and my own webcomic, it's a bit of a dream of mine. I do feel bad for leaving GR Strips but after nearly three years, the time felt right.

In my spare time, I'm a kid's judo coach! I've been doing judo for almost eight years now and I help coach children. It's fun and rewarding, but sometimes it can be frustrating and stressful. I coach in judo three times a week, and then I also train about three times a week. I'm at the gym three times per week too for strength work, so I do enjoy health/fitness things.

I'd like to try and get my Level 1 Strength and Conditioning Australia qualification this year. I feel it'll help me out as a judo coach, especially if I help senior (+16 year old) judo players.

I have a lovely girlfriend of nearly three years now, she and I have been living together for almost two... which reminds me, our anniversary is coming up!

yorky, please tell us about yourself? :)

Writing a book:
https://mcbadluck.wordpress.com/

Posting stupid stuff on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRLgs4 ... qOWl_qPang

Gettin' swole, playing lots of games and not being satisfied by any of it. Ward boundaries for the young single adults got changed around and now church is way too early for me, so I haven't been in a month now. Need to see a doctor about bronchial asthma and my dad wants me to take a sleep course he found on Groupon. I'm $300 in the hole now that I had to buy a new router since our old one broke and my mom is literally using blood money to buy a new washer and dryer because ours rip holes in cloths every time we use them.

It could be a whole lot worse. :wink:

MC,

You seem like a very motivated, well-rounded person. That's awesome. Good luck with the job search!

As for me, I started frequenting the boards at the ripe old age of 13. I posted pretty consistently until I left on an LDS mission which lasted from 2009 to 2011. My participation upon returning has been spotty, but I still frequent the front page a lot. I've read most of your comics--it'll be sad to not have new ones! Still, I wish you the best on your independent venture.

Recently, life has been pretty crazy. I taught middle school French for two years whilst completing my Master's degree in Secondary Education (which I completed last May). This year is my first year teaching High School, which has been a fun change.

I got married to my wonderful wife in November of 2015. She has 3 children from a previous marriage, whom I got to adopt last month. It's a happy time. :) We also have 2 cats--an old man and a very girly scaredy cat.

Money has been tight with just a teacher's income, so my wife has been finishing up her Master's degree in Mass Communications at BYU, and will be defending her thesis next month. One awesome thing we got to do was go to a conference in Budapest where my wife got to present one of her papers. We took the kids and were able to visit Paris, Budapest, and Vienna. It was crazy, but fun. AirBnB made it possible, frankly.

That's me!

DeTing,

I understand the early struggle. We just changed to 9 o'clock church as well. On the bright side, our 3-year-old is easier to handle at that time.

I'll have to take a look at your book and youtube stuff when I've got some time.

You took a 3 year old to Europe? Brave man.

As for me, I've been focusing on getting my master's degree in History while taking over the domestic role of the household. Somehow my best friend in college and I became a couple, and have been living together for coming up on three years now. She's working a job that she enjoys and supports both of us, which she doesn't mind too much since I do all that she needs me to (usually) and she would be spending this same amount living on her own anyway.

Most of the people in the program are also working full time, so I'm sure I could do it, but this way I get to further my education and still have free time to spend with the lady. I'm just happy to live with a double digit bank account, since I've cut just about every luxury item out of my life that isn't free (including beer and soda, so it's not all bad). Once I get my master's, I'll probably start doing adjunct work at community college and apply to get a PhD (bye bye 6 more years) if I can get funded for that. If not, I'll probably be a stay at home dad, which works for me because I'm good with kids.

Except High School kids. I couldn't do that. I admire high school teachers, because that's another level of patience I just don't have. So for you to do middle school? Impressive. I was fortunate enough to do a couple of lectures to an audience of 120 students this last semester and I realized that it was exactly what I want to do with my career.

So I'm optimistic!

yorky said:
Whatcha Doin?

edbba02f316245e3d4a7feedcc4dd991375cafdf8f5f0f83.jpg

And a good day to you, sir.
2chw5mg.gif

yorky said:
Having just recently decided to check in on the boards, I was just wondering who is around these days, and what you guys are doing currently in your lives?

So what's new? What have you accomplished lately? What's fallen through?

Bear it all. Think of it as your LinkedIn Profile, only people are going to read it.

I teach at several colleges now, and write for a game website on the side.

Otherwise life is a grind. I get by though, just barely any free time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod