What were your fave movies of 2013?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedLiquid

Regular
For the third year in a row I'll be doing another GR's top 10 movie list. And it wouldn't be complete without you guys. So come up with your own top 5 movies this year that you thought were awesome. Like the previous nomination threads, the order you rank your movies will matter for the overall GR list.

And like always, this thread will be open until the end of December in order to be fair to other movies like The Hobbit and Anchorman 2. Since I love Lord of the Rings and Anchorman, I will wait before voting.

And just to recap...
GR's best movie of 2011 - X-men: First Class
GR's best movie of 2012 - The Avengers

Happy voting!

Oh jeez.... Was Pacific Rim this year? lol That'd never fucking win.

Honestly for me, Thor: The Dark World. Most enjoyed movie this year. Oh Natalie, you're so cute and funny. Oh Chris, you're so "hot" and... why do you speak that way?

Great action and visuals, dark and colorful. They let themselves get a little "out there" too and I love how they play with universes and such to set up some of the other Marvel movies.

Cannot fucking wait for Winter Soldier too.

Thor: The Dark World
Man of Steel
The World's End
Pacific Rim
This Is The End

That's my top five in order. Others like Evil Dead and Gravity may have made it, but I still haven't gotten around to see them yet. Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine were letdowns. The only internal debate I had about my list was wether to include Star Trek Into Darkness or This Is The End. I'm eager to see Anchorman 2, but doubt I'll see it in theater.

I think I've only seen 4 but:

Gravity
Now You See Me
Man of Steel
Pacific Rim

Man of Steel
Thor: The Dark World

I kept dozing off during Elysium, but it wasn't hard to figure out.

1. Gravity

2. Man of Steel

3. Hunger Games parts 1 and 2, whenever I get around to watching them

definitely Gravity though.
"Holy fuck George Clooney is the fucking DUDE! Oh, wait, never mind :("

at least he broke the record.

Paradox said:
Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine were letdowns.
I wasn't disappointed by The Wolverine. It was kind of obvious that they just wanted to take Hugh Jackman to Japan, film a cheap slasher/yakuza flick, and have the Aussie lay on a Japanese woman. Iron Man 3 was pretty bad though. So hyped. So disappointed. He wasn't even in the fucking suit!

Bit of a tough one. I think the film I enjoyed the most this year was Thor: The Dark World.

I liked the overall storyline. The movie had witty humour and writing with just the right balance. I absolutely adored the cinematography and special effects, the action sequences and fights were great, Loki was brilliant (I enjoyed the Thor and Loki dynamics on screen) and I have a celebrity crush on Jaime Alexander (she plays Sif, the dark haired Asgardian warrior).

I was pleasantly surprised with Man of Steel. I enjoyed that movie too, despite the criticism it's received.

While I did enjoy both Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine, I was also disappointed by both of them unfortunately.

It's funny how my most enjoyed movies this year were superhero movies... but yeah, Thor: The Dark World takes my movie of 2013.

Honestly, for me I was pretty disappointed by every movie EXCEPT for Iron Man 3 and Wolverine. Iron Man 3 wasn't fantastic, but it was a fun follow up to what had been established, and I went into the Wolverine with such low standards that I emerged pleasantly surprised.

Man of Steel was alright, and I enjoyed watching it once. And then I saw it a second time, and I realized it wasn't really that good. Superman is an ass, Jor-El has more of a role than Jonathan Kent, the whole thing was way too dark and gritty for a fucking Superman movie, the plot was bizarre, and really it was a whole lot of nothing. It was almost as disappointing as the Dark Knight Rises.

And Thor 2 was so... flat. Nothing happens in it. There isn't a single character arc, there is no tension, no drama, a shitload of coincidences to drive the plot, nothing at stake except for a thinly veiled threat that never actually does anything.

And then there was Into Darkness, which was just "LET'S THROW AS MANY OLD STAR TREK REFERENCES IN AS POSSIBLE!"

My favorite movie of the year? Pacific Rim.
Sure it wasn't perfect, but it promised Giant Mechs fighting kaiju monsters and it delivered and then some.

So for me:
1. Pacific Rim
2. Riddick
3. Iron Man 3

And that's all I got.

Master_Craig said:
Bit of a tough one. I think the film I enjoyed the most this year was Thor: The Dark World.

I liked the overall storyline. The movie had witty humour and writing with just the right balance. I absolutely adored the cinematography and special effects, the action sequences and fights were great, Loki was brilliant (I enjoyed the Thor and Loki dynamics on screen) and I have a celebrity crush on Jaime Alexander (she plays Sif, the dark haired Asgardian warrior).

I was pleasantly surprised with Man of Steel. I enjoyed that movie too, despite the criticism it's received.

While I did enjoy both Iron Man 3 and The Wolverine, I was also disappointed by both of them unfortunately.

It's funny how my most enjoyed movies this year were superhero movies... but yeah, Thor: The Dark World takes my movie of 2013.

Soooooo would you say your top 5 movies were
1. Thor
2.,Man of Steel
3. Iron Man 3
4. The Wolverine
5. Pick something cool for me Wicked, like Oblivion.

The List:

1-Trance (pick this up on Blue Ray NOW!)
2-Elysium
3-Man of Steel,
4-Gravity (the ending didnt work for me or it wouldve been higher)
5-Don Jon

Honorable mention - The Lone Ranger

UrbanMasque said:
4-Gravity (the ending didnt work for me or it wouldve been higher)

I agree with the ending part, they had a perfect ending opportunity about 20 minutes before the real ending too.

Atheists sure do love to hate on that ending. Spirituality and religious undertones in a movie about survival? How dare they!!!

WickedLiquid said:
Atheists sure do love to hate on that ending. Spirituality and religious undertones in a movie about survival? How dare they!!!

why-cant-i-hold-all-these-wats.jpg

religious undertones?! I totally didn't see that nor was I offended by it.
I think the movie should've ended with Sandra slowly going to sleep adrift in the darkness... or if if shows Sandra surviving, then instantly show Mr. Clooney adrift with only his suit to keep him company. The effects were cool and it seemed pretty overwhelming, and in typical Hollywood form they made her survive instead of playing to probably, which I think would've had more gravity as an ending and shed light on how treacherous it really is out there for these brave souls. Also, why didnt she stay in the pod when she hit the lake... they wouldve came and found her, instead she risks drowning and didnt think to take off the suit before making a go at it and swiming? you employ all those skills to get to where you are, then make a dumb of dumb decisions at the end only to have the movie end abruptly.. ...yea..

I am legend was strongly spiritual, and I love that movie. The ending of Gravity didn't work in my opinion.

Lawless.
I know it was last year and it has shia labeouf in it, it's still fucking awesome.

Now you see me was pretty good, as was The Worlds End.

My favorite was probably Pain & Gain, though.
dsNQQu3l.jpg

WickedLiquid said:
Soooooo would you say your top 5 movies were
1. Thor
2.,Man of Steel
3. Iron Man 3
4. The Wolverine
5. Pick something cool for me Wicked, like Oblivion.

Sure, we can roll with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133