Resident Evil 5 Reviewed

I expected a bit more too...out of the game, not IGN. They seem to have over-exaggerated the game as much as I expected them to.

And thus, the 'Halo syndrome' is reborn. Of course, the old formula wasn't getting stale at all. No, never.

Zombies!

*later*

Zombie dogs!

*later*

Giant spiders!

*later*

Hunters!

*later*

Mutated Plant/Crocodile/Fish/Scorpion!

*later still*

A Tyrant!

*even more later*

Oh no! A countdown sequence!

I'll get this when it goes down in price, have not wanted to spend full-price on any RE game since RE2.

until then, I'll be saving my pennies for something else.

Lentium said:
I'll get this when it goes down in price, have not wanted to spend full-price on any RE game since RE2.

until then, I'll be saving my pennies for something else.

How badass would it be to get an RE2 remake? VERY.

Which is why it will never happen. Game companies are clueless.

meh. game copanies are to scared to take chances anymore. they just stick with what works. and how can you blame em when the hype machine can move more units these days than revolutionary gameplay ever will.

RE2 remake would be orgasmic. But Capcom does have a right you know. Old school tank controls with a fresh coat of paint wouldn't go down too well in this day and age.

lokness said:
RE2 remake would be orgasmic. But Capcom does have a right you know. Old school tank controls with a fresh coat of paint wouldn't go down too well in this day and age.
Really?

I bet it would.
Xbox live arcade baby.

Speaking of, I finally got my first batch of gamer points and bought Banjo-Kazooi off XBL arcade, and I'm enjoying myself. I think it would work to put RE2 on there.

Uver said:
Speaking of, I finally got my first batch of gamer points and bought Banjo-Kazooi off XBL arcade, and I'm enjoying myself. I think it would work to put RE2 on there.
But how do you feel about Banjo-Kazooi?

madster111 said:
lokness said:
Really?

I bet it would.
Xbox live arcade baby.

Live arcade is for the lulz. RE2 is serious business.

I didn't read the review. Does it say anything about whether or not it has moments reminiscent of the first RE or is it pretty much all action now like the demo led us to believe?

Lethean said:
I didn't read the review. Does it say anything about whether or not it has moments reminiscent of the first RE or is it pretty much all action now like the demo led us to believe?

Pretty much all action I think.

So I got Resident Evil 5 today (Thursday 12th March 2008) for the PS3. The full version I mean.

Haven't had the chance to try the game by myself because as soon as I got home my brother and I started to play co-op mode. Here are my thoughts on the game regardless.

Co-op is simply the single player storyline except the second player can jump in at any point, but I believe when they do, the game reloads from the beginning of the last loaded area.

From what I've seen so far from playing the full game, Resident Evil 5 is indeed action packed. But at the same time it's intense. It's not so much "scary" but there are disturbing moments in the game regardless. It's fun to play but has been quite challenging.

This might be disappointing for some, but it doesn't look like the Merchant from Resident Evil 4 (or some kind of new Merchant character) returns this time around. When the player enters a new chapter area or loads their game they have the option to buy weapons and upgrades and upgrade weaponry before they begin the next area.

No sign of any quick time events as of yet, but maybe there aren't any in co-op mode, or maybe there are? I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure quick time events are in cut scenes once again (I saw it over in one of the videos of Resident Evil 5 at GameTrailers.com).

Annoyingly, the game doesn't have a save file system. It uses an auto-save feature where you load your game simply by selecting "Continue". Alternatively, the player can pick which unlocked chapter/area they would like to play. Chapter selection is nice but I wish there were actual individual files... I guess that's what separate accounts are for on the PS3.

Co-op mode is where the game really shines. It's a lot of fun to play with a friend. But I've noticed when playing split screen multiplayer the game tends to drop in frame rate. In single player, Sheva's A.I isn't stupid but unfortunately she kind of does her own thing. She uses up a lot of ammo and healing items. You can't really create strategy with the A.I controlled Sheva.

I don't see why people are getting so upset that it's more action than "survival horror". It still is a survival game that is challenging and intense (as said) and with the co-op option it's a lot of fun to play with a friend. I also fail to see why it annoys people that you can't move while shooting. In my opinion this mechanic adds more intensity to the game and with the aid of Sheva via A.I or another player, it isn't so bad. If the player could move while shooting it might make things a little too easy, especially in co-op mode.

and yeah, that's about it. So far though, it's awesome and I am loving it. I even got a funky collectable action figure statue thing of that giant axe guy for pre-ordering the game (even though I only got the standard edition). :p

Master_Craig said:
I don't see why people are getting so upset that it's more action than "survival horror".

Because some people actually enjoy survival horror more than action, especially when that's what they first fell in love with with the RE series? :p

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaminglovex