Pubs' Grip on Devs

StudioTan

Regular
I just read that IO Interactive has severed itself from Square Enix and is now an independent development studio, securing the rights to the Hitman games. To celebrate, the DRM has been removed, the prologue made free, and the first season put on sale; quite the admirable gesture from the devs.

Certainly the new Hitman game sold well enough, surely because of the name, but its handling by the publisher really hurt the image the franchise. In the fallout of the Absolution bomb, this game was released episodically on a monthly basis, and Shirley I'm not the only one who passed in lieu of a complete edition. Well, I completely forgot about Hitman until today, and while it may have been well-received, I can't help but imagine its reception had it been sold as a complete package. I, for one, would have already bought it.

What other games throughout the years have been poorly handled by their publishers, so much that it overshadowed an otherwise good game and perhaps ruined a promising development studio? In the publisher's absence, Would "No Man's Sky" have been a $15-20 title? Would "Evolve" be fun? Would Konami not be burning in some proverbial Hell for canning "Silent Hill?"

Is it all about ze money, Lebowski? Do we need these bad guys so we can point our fingers? To be the man, you gotta beat the man?

It's really disappointing to hear.

The first thing that comes to mind is Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. Clearly, Hideo Kojima wanted to finish the game, but Konami wasn't happening it for financial reasons. So, the last true Metal Gear we'll ever play is half-baked.

Sad.

As Jonathan already pointed out, yeah, Konami clearly messed up Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

I guess another complete mess (courtesy of publishers) would be Mass Effect: Andromeda. Poor Bioware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle