Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3D sometimes, IMAX never

• Always 2D

• My computer after it's done downloading

• Total voters
Sort of separate from the what movie did you last watch thread.... I'm debating whether to see Pacific Rim in IMAX 3D BOO-UNRS ULTRA VISION or just you know... regular, so that got me thinking about other movies that are in 3D and 2D and IMAX and all of that shit.

If it's a movie I'm really excited about, I can't really keep myself from blowing $36 on a pair of IMAX 3D tickets. When the gf wanted to see Great Gatsby, we obviously opted for 2D and not 3D. With Pacific Rim, it's such a visual movie, I think it will make an effect, but for Thor, I was happy not to pay for 3D.

How do you guarantee yourself the best possible movie-going experience without feeling like your ass just got widened by AMC?

I really dislike 3D. To me it's nothing more than a gimmick that movie theaters use so they can tack on even more to the price of a ticket. Did you know the technology behind 3D is older than even color television itself? And yet, they keep bringing it back every generation or so as this amazing new thing they came up with. Fuck off Hollywood.

3D films have existed in some form since 1915

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_film

Slightly off topic, but the 3DTV fad they tried shoving down our throats right after many people just got done upgrading to HDTV has failed miserably.

It's way too early to tell about how the 4k stuff will catch on, but we'll find out in a few years.

To help with your Pacific Rim viewing decision, I feel it would be best seen in 3D. I've never been to an IMAX, but I couldn't fathom paying $18 to see a movie. $12 for 3D at my local theater is plenty.

But from how I hear Pacific Rim is getting trounced by Grown Ups 2 and Despicable Me 2, I'd say it needs all the money it can get. Despite good reviews, it's going to be a struggle between domestic and international for it to break even. It's expected to do really well in China and Japan, so there's that.

Pacific Rim is pretty good, despite some... 'lackluster' acting.

3D is always pointless, but especially so for pacific rim.

the only movie ive ever enjoyed 3D in still to this day is Avatar.. and even then I could easily have done without it.

always 2D for me. don't find 3D enjoyable at all.

and as sourdeez said, i have spent a good deal on my TV/Speakers/Receiver etc. and actually prefer almost any movie in my home, in old fashioned 2D. the only time i get to the theaters is if I absolutely can't wait for a movie.

IMAX always, 3D sometimes but usually never.

Pacific Rim isn't a movie, it's a ride lol. So for something like that the only way to see it is IMAX 3D AVX D-BOX orgasmo vision.

But movies, you know, stories with character depth don't need bells and whistles. I love a big screen so Imax all the way but that's as far as I like to go.

Unfortunately there's no IMAX cinema where I live and I don't like watching 3D movies, so I try and watch the movies in 2D.

Sourdeez said:
Higher resolution 2d(4k) over 3d any day.

Same goes in video games.(Excluding the Oculus Rift)

Amazon has this off-brand (but well-reviewed) 50" 4K on sale for $966. Pretty insane.

used44 said:
Sourdeez said:
Higher resolution 2d(4k) over 3d any day.

Same goes in video games.(Excluding the Oculus Rift)

Amazon has this off-brand (but well-reviewed) 50" 4K on sale for $966. Pretty insane.

Meanwhile that TV has gotten poor reviews from pretty much every professional outlet. I take user reviews on electronics with a grain of salt. Usually people want to believe what they've bought is the best for the money when that isn't the case. The level of subjectivity is minimal I imagine.

Anyways, I'll watch primarily 2D unless it's a film I'm really looking forward to like Prometheus or Pacific Rim. I've seen some great 3D films and some mediocre, just like 2D. If I can afford it, I'll watch a fi;m in IMAX but only something like Into Darkness. The nearest IMAX theater is about 35 minutes way.

Master_Craig said:
Unfortunately there's no IMAX cinema where I live and I don't like watching 3D movies, so I try and watch the movies in 2D.
Could fly down to sydney to watch the IMAX.

Although considering it's a 1.5hr drive away from me and i'd never bother with said drive, you might not be too keen on it.

I have a 3DTV and I prefer watching stuff in 2D. 3D is cool in theaters, but I really dont think the extra price is worth it.

My new tv is also 3D, though I won't use it often. It was just sort of a feature that it happened to have.

So far the only cool use I've got out of it was playing Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary. That was so well done that I'll consider playing through the whole game that way.

2D. I highly think 3D is a waste of money unless stuff is coming out to attack you or something.

I like some 3D stuff, visually it is pretty stunning. But I'd only go to the cinema for it, I wouldn't go out of my way for a 3D TV or anything.

Plus, I'd only go to see it at the cinema if it's "fun"!. Such as a scary film with blood coming at you or something.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133