Interstellar spoilers! Click at your own risk.

WickedLiquid

Regular
OK WTF did I just watch?

I'm interested to hear some theories on this movie since I got totally lost once McConaughey entered that black hole. Through most of the movie we believe "they" are extraterrestrial life. The twist where "they" become humanity in the future makes little sense to me. It actually opens up a paradox. Which is too bad cause it could have made a nice twist.

If humanity exists in the future then they were able to leave Earth and continue to exist without ever needing to guide McConaughey's character Cooper. But it is because Cooper is the "ghost" who contacts his daughter that they are able to leave Earth and be saved. So how is the future of humanity safe if they have to change the past to save themselves?

Is this like X-Men Days of Future Past where people have survived in a dystopian future and are trying to change the past and create an alternate timeline that benefits humanity? I can't say I buy that since the future of humanity seemed to be doing pretty good if they had a firm understanding of 5th demension travel that people of McConaughey's time couldn't grasp.

Of course if time is infinite and Cooper contacted his daughter in a place where time does not exist then perhaps it was destiny. Like it was fate that McConaughey had to leave and become the ghost and no matter what everything was predetermined. Maybe by entering that black hole where time does not exist you are creating an instant now controlled by fate?

If that's the case then shouldn't "they" be God? I'm confused man.

matthew-mcconaughey-interstellar-christopher-nolan.gif

I believe that when they went on the trip to find a better planet that was a pivotal point in their time to make sure everything goes the way it needs to and since humanity has been able to access the 5th dimension time can be seen linearly so they could access specific points in time of a particular spot to view its past, present, or future as seen in the black hole and if time is seen as linearly to the future of humanity they could continue working with it to make sure it happens the way it needs to to make sure their reality stays the way it is and they can make this happen by applying the force of gravity (sense in the movie gravity can be applied through all dimensions and forces) across the time stream to create the effect that makes Murph learn what she needs to learn through his character creating a force through time and dimensions to create the morse code needed to tell Murph how to factor in a singularity into the equation needed to move that space station

At least something like that I'm not sure myself i don't like to think about time travel too much due to all the alternate realities it could open up or the future could still happen without the past happening the exact way the future needs it to happen without their help but if that was the case then future couldn't exist yet and blah blah time travel paradox

ChHNZ.gif

Ooooook so if all possible timelines exist in the fifth dimension then I still think the people of the future were trying to change the past. Or at least change McConaughey's timeline into one of the other possible outcomes that is more beneficial to humanity rather than some of the negative timelines where humanity is doomed.

I remember learning about higher dimensions and while it is all theoretical, the idea is that the 4th dimension is time as we know it. We perceive time in a straight line from beginning to end, but in the fifth dimension we view time as an endless amount of possibilities that can branch off and form alternate timelines.

The sixth dimension is like a short cut where you don't need to change the past, the past has already been changed and we can just automatically warp there. But since they can't manipulate the 6th dimension they have to do things the long way on the fifth. In order to change things in the fifth dimension we need to travel to the past and open up that alternate timeline by changing things. We cant just jump to another timeline like we csn in the 6th, we need to do the work in the 5th that sets it up. And that's where Cooper (McConaughey) comes into play. He is the pawn used to change his timeline so his daughter can benefit mankind.

There are also higher dimensions; 7, 8, 9 and 10 but let's not get into that since it talks about infinity in our universe and then a multiverse of infinite universes containing their own infinite timelines. It's deep shit, man.

So, to simplify things I'll just say I believe the 5th dimensional humans actually exist in an alternate timeline where mankind is now able to manipulate all different timelines. For all we know in their timeline Earth is fine and they still live there. They saw Cooper's timeline where things went bad and Earth was actually dying. They took pity on Cooper's timeline (I guess) and decided to help that timeline and help mankind survive. These fifth dimensional beings sent them a wormhole for the purpose of Cooper reaching the black hole, not the orbiting planets. Once in the black hole he could master the 5th dimension and change the past. He sends his daughter an equation that she then uses to help get people off Earth before they all die.

Of course there are still more questions like how did Cooper survive entering a black hole? Which could be answered with science fiction due to the fact we honestly don't know what would happen if we were to be sucked into one.

And why would the 5th dimensial humans set up a worm hole all the way at friggin Saturn??? Why not just right at NASA?

Also why are the humans orbiting Saturn 127 years in the future? Did the worm hole close? If so how is Cooper getting back to Hathaway? And wouldn't mankind want to follow him Hathaway and live on a planet instead of a space station?

I've been too busy to really type out a detailed analysis of this film, and to be honest, over the years I think I've lost my touch when it comes to detailed description and analysis so I haven't much to add. I did assume the wormhole was still open and the Saturn station was playing a Deep Space Nine role as both a living habitat and a waystation for those passing through in either direction. (Earth = Bajor, the station = DS9, other Galaxy = Gamma quadrant, 5th dimensional humans = the Prophets).

As for why the wormhole is at Saturn, maybe it's all a spatial thing. Perhaps it's fueled or anchored by a gravity well. Earth's is too weak, Jupiter's is too strong. Saturn's is perhaps right at the optimal threshold for stability.

The movie doesn't necessarily focus on time traveling, but this is the best explanation of what I can say about the movie. And it's only 15 seconds long!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY_Ry8J_jdw
I didn't like the twist in the movie, because I had two guesses of what the twist was going to be. One hypothesis was Murphy figuring out the equation to time traveling and using that to somehow be with her dad. The other guess was Cooper (can't think of his first name) somehow finding a way to communicate with Murphy in her room of the house.

The whole time I was watching this, I was thinking of those damn Lincoln commercials and SNL making fun of them.

WickedLiquid said:
I'm interested to hear some theories on this movie since I got totally lost once McConaughey entered that black hole. Through most of the movie we believe "they" are extraterrestrial life. The twist where "they" become humanity in the future makes little sense to me. It actually opens up a paradox. Which is too bad cause it could have made a nice twist.

Huge plot hole - because if we are "they".. who the fuck put the first hole there? Otherwise, a good film.

we are "they" but able to traverse more dimensions as seen in the black hole where McConaughey was interacting with a force through time. So technically i think that "they" could create that wormhole there when they wanted/when we needed it due to being able to manipulate time/forces through the 4th and 5th dimensions

In the movie, it's established that Cooper was able to give himself the coordinates to discover NASA to go on the expedition to the area to give himself the coordinates to discover NASA.

So how is it or of the realm of possibility for humans to give Cooper the means to give himself the coordinates to ensure that they get the means to give himself the coordinates?

It's the simple stable time loop. Harry Potter did that shit.

Longo_2_guns said:
In the movie, it's established that Cooper was able to give himself the coordinates to discover NASA to go on the expedition to the area to give himself the coordinates to discover NASA.

So how is it or of the realm of possibility for humans to give Cooper the means to give himself the coordinates to ensure that they get the means to give himself the coordinates?

It's the simple stable time loop. Harry Potter did that shit.

Who gave him the original coordinates? Its not so simple. its actually impossible. "They" can't be us. "They" facilitated all of this, but "they" are not us on any timeline or dimension. They never interact with us on any physical level - they don't even protect us. They open doors and protect, but never anything more than a bridge b/c they don't know how and can't really interact with us (like when Mcconehey [i know i butcher his name - but fuck him] was trapped in the machine).

If the writers intended for "them" to be us, this movie is dumb. "They" being the people who trapped him in the teseract and opened the wormhole. If "they" are interdimensional beings then I can cope with this movie.

Yes they are interdimensional beings who can manipulate all possible timelines in the 5th dimension. In some other timeline where Earth might nor be dying, humanity discovers the 5th dimension which then opens up all possible timelines right before their eyes. So they help out Cooper's timeline since in his version Earth is dying and humanity is doomed.

WickedLiquid said:
Yes they are interdimensional beings who can manipulate all possible timelines in the 5th dimension. In some other timeline where Earth might nor be dying, humanity discovers the 5th dimension which then opens up all possible timelines right before their eyes. So they help out Cooper's timeline since in his version Earth is dying and humanity is doomed.

Of all the possible timelines.. of which there are probably infinite (when you think in one timeline his son becomes a scientist and goes to college, in another Hitler wins the war, in another the pencil on his desk is slightly leaning diagonally to the left, and in another earth is orbiting the sun at 12km farther than it is now) why do they care? And if you can open a worm-hole, you can reverse climate change and an atmosphere.

Well it's complicated but as I was saying it's possible Cooper's timeline was the only one where Earth is dying. Therefore once "they" were able to master the fifth dimension they saw all timelines and took pity on Cooper's timeline. Therefore in order to help mankind continue in Cooper's timeline they sent the wormhole that lead to the black hole for Cooper to enter and yada yada yada.

I think it would be cool if it was Cooper from the fifth dimension who is helping out the film's protagonist Cooper.

There aren't multiple timelines. Only one.

It's a stable time loop. There was no one else who gave Cooper the coordinates, he gave then to himself. Everything the "ghost"did was actually done by him. Including the handshake with the girl in the worm hole.

All "they" (meaning fifth dimensional humans some millennia in the future) did was supply the tesseract and the wormhole. Likely because being fifth dimensional, they can see that as being the pivotal point in time to ensure their creation.

It's not that hard to understand.

Longo_2_guns said:
All "they" (meaning fifth dimensional humans some millennia in the future) did was supply the tesseract and the wormhole. Likely because being fifth dimensional, they can see that as being the pivotal point in time to ensure their creation.

It's not that hard to understand.

oprah-shakng-her-head.gif

This is the unstable part. "They can see that as being the pivotal point in time to ensure their creation." Is "Their" the 5th dimensional beings? If so, who did it the first time through so that they could exist to become 5th dimensional beings and open it for Murphy later down the line?!

If there is only one timeline - Would these 5th dimensional beings exist if Murph never figured it out? If so, see above question.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133