Facebook Oculus opinions

Psuedo

Rookie
Just want to know what your guys thoughts were on this deal. 95% of the posts ive read about it are upset, and ive been doing a lot of reading peoples posts on this. Some believe facebook will become a virtual world like second life. Some believe ads will be injected into your games (which i dont see how facebook could be allowed to inject their ads into a game someone else made.) Good or bad for oculus in terms of money, its looking bad for their following as stated the majority of gamers are hurt/scared by this buyout. Oh well you
cant say you wouldnt of sold out either. I guess it's to soon to tell, but it can't be as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

I don't really want to give facebook direct dollars. To me though, it is all about who produces the better hardware.

Facebook's Oculus Rift
Avegant Glyph
Sony's Project Morpheus

all i want is a wireless screen with audio built in, and it's looking like Avegant Glyph is leading the way. I don't want the cheap man's VR the other two are giving me. Ever tried the VR units at amusement parks? Like at Disney Quest? They come with the complete setup, like moving parts and track pads for you to walk on, an expensive but necessary part of "virtual reality."

So if I'm resigning to being cheated out of true virtual reality from the start I think I'd go with the home theater setup version of VR rather than the poor man's VR "for gaming," and good luck with that btw. No, i'm sure they'll throw enough money at it until we need it, like that kinect camera and playstation move and 3D tv that i can't live without. er

http://www.cnet.com/videos/avegant-glyp ... -hands-on/

make it wireless please. i dont want to buy a 50 foot hdmi cable.
this may be my solution: http://www.netgear.com/home/products/co ... V3000.aspx

I haven't heard of Oculus Rift until a day or two ago. Someone break this situation down for me and tell me why I should care. No more than four sentences, please.

xbmzqYp.gif

Early Supporters of Oculus VR Denounce Facebook Buyout
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/2 ... -purchase/

6cgrnIA.jpg

Sourdeez said:
Early Supporters of Oculus VR Denounce Facebook Buyout

Boo fucking hoo...all of the early backers got their equipment a year ago, they have no say in the business anymore.

Alls I'm saying is.. Zuckerberg is in bed with the CIA & NSA.. and you want me to immerse myself in an environment subsidized by Facebook?

Call me a nut if you want to, but I'd rather have my brain-washed by Sony.

I never joined the twitter revolution and I don't care much for Facebook. I only got an account back in 2006 because it was like a giant reunion and I met people I hadn't seen since elementary school.

For a few years now it's been a plateau for narcissism so I only use it to crack jokes here and there and not to share my life with daily updates. Zuckerberg has got to know Facebook can't keep up with Twitter and the eventual "new social networking" that will eventually replace twitter. So they're scrambling for ideas and looks like this was the best they came up with.

I understand that VR could have uses beyond gaming but this feels like games being completely abandoned in favor of that other stuff. Like the potential of the social experiences is more important than the progress already made in the gaming sector.

Weird.

It's because nobody knows what virtual reality is (except for us dorks), they just know they need it, like they needed 3D tv and if the kids are talking about it FB knows it's gonna sell.

I like his decision. It's a gamble for sure, but if it pays off he'll contend with Panasonic, Sony, LG, etc., for home entertainment dollars. Or sell his newly purchased patent on for even bigger bucks, all the while going further and further away from virtual reality gaming and closer to the next big thing in Television. Awesome move.

So is this like PlayStation Home that is full of guys hitting on guys in girl avatars and thousands of kids asking me if I play Call of Duty?

danielrbischoff said:
WHERE'D THE $2BILLION COME FROM? THEY DON'T EVEN SELL ANYTHING

They sell YOU.. to corporations, governments, who ever is buying.

Your data is valuable.. if you can find a way to monetize it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmackiny133