Eastern RPGs VS. Western RPGs

In this forum, i want people to discuss what kind of RPGs they like better: Western RPGs (Elder Scrolls, KOTOR) or Eastern RPGs (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest)? and why?

Both East and West have produced some stellar games... and some crap ones too. However, because almost all Japanese RPSs are the same, my vote goes to west.

Well, without the East, there would be no West, in terms of quality video games.

But then again, the West did make Dungeons and Dragons, the first great RPG....

I like western RPGs better. They offer more depth and variety than Eastern RPGs. I think that most Eastern ones are very derivitive and linear. That's not to say I completely dislike them. They usually have more of a story and some unique features that aren't found in Western RPGs.

I reckon the East is better at standard RPG games. Y'know, such as the Suikoden, Wild Arms and Final Fantasy games.

But the West is good at melding RPG elements into non-RPG games. Stuff like Deus Ex and such.

Eastern RPG's usually have a complex and vibrant story, while Western RPG's you create your own stories, but they are not as fleshed out.

Good topic.

LinksOcarina pretty much nailed it. Western RPGs are typically much more about character customization. Sometimes even going as far as letting you choose the gender and physical build of your character. But it's usually a trade-off for the rich, character driven story of the Eastern RPGs.

Personally, I've had such great experiences with both worlds that I can't really choose a favorite. Morrowind and KotoR are my favorite Western RPGs, and Final Fantasy Tactics and FF9 are my favorite Eastern RPGs.

I find eastern to be equally as progressive at times as the west, depending of course. One thing I admire most about eastern RPG's is the quality artwork, and detail..The atmosphere, something that the western can create as well but never to the same degree as the east. Oblivion was visually incredible, but the east often have dramatic scenery, places in extreme conditions, devastated by natural disaster, or some place completely frozen, completely in flames, things like that, and I enjoy that.

Another thing I find incredible about eastern is the sense of epic approach. The bosses, and the amounts of enemies (not as common in RPG's but, actually, more in cinematic scenes, and sometimes, in fights.) When you come across a boss that is so large you have to attack his limbs one by one, or figure out some ridiculous way to bring a titan down, it's engrossing and I don't feel that epic approach in western games.

As a whole? I'd probably say Eastern, but the West does create some of the best with different styles, much more based on mechanics, specific play styles if you will.

I'm not even really into FF too much, but just remembering all the RPG's I've played (quite a bit..) and how incredible some of the imports were back in the day (Dreamcast, and the like) I feel that Eastern comes out on top for me.

I would not say one is more advanced the the other. They both start out simple dungeon crawlers and expand into their own subgenres. There are some great ideas in eastern RPG's (like a master-pupil system from Breath of Fire III-IV) and leveling up system that can get confusing (Final Fantasy X,) and addictive ala pokemon.

Western RPGs... I'm not very familiar. Anyone a fan of Rogues? They've basically "evolved" into Oblivion. Western RPGs can get silly (with your orks and elves) but some tell a very serious story. One although, i consider it an exception, is Fallout. It has a different approach to role playing games which could be considered preferable in some aspects.

What about western offshoots of eastern RPG systems, and vice versa? Isn't Gladius just Final Fantasy Tactics with gladiators?

There are also shit RPGs on both sides.

Now that i've officially not picked a side, I ask a question.

Which came first, eastern or western? Who first put an RPG into a video game? Obviously someone implemented a dungeon crawling idea then someone else emulated it, and eventually another society did their own thing with it.

Japanese RPGs like Final Fantasy strike me as being more like action- adventure games than role-playing games. You guide a character through a narrative, the character collects items and speaks to others which furthers his advance through the story. That would be fine except that I never find any of the stories in those games very good. The only one I ever liked was Final Fantasy VII, and I haven't played that since I was a kid so who knows.

Course I'm not a huge fan of 'western RPGs' like D&D and Fallout. Oblivion is an action game. MMOGs like Everquest and WoW are as close to D&D RPGs as I've seen in a videogame, and those games are time consuming and boring.

So basically... I just realized that I dont like RPGs at all. I don't know why I buy them.

western or eastern rpgs

i lke both rpgs myself but i've always been partial to final fantasy types or legend of dragoon-something that has good graphics and great storyline. of course i've found some great western rpgs like breath of fire iv for example awesome. but i digress i like any game that keeps my attention and has stuff worthy of destruction.

I generally end up playing Japanese RPGs more often. In fact, I'm replaying FF9 right now.

But that said, these aren't really RPGs in my opinion. I haven't found a PC or console game yet that is a real **role-playing** game, because the player never chooses a role to play. It all ends up being scripted for the player by the game. In a real RPG, and I mean a pencil-and-paper game like D&D, it goes the other way around. The player scripts the game, and the referee is just there to make the basic scenarios and keep things going smoothly. That's my idea of an RPG, not the cinematic movies we get from Japan or the limited adventure games we get from U.S./Canada.

But the script your following in Japanese RPG's IS the role you "made" for yourself. Your doing a pre-rendered quest basically, with intrigue and characterization and a LOT of story too it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod