Boxingball topic Numero II: Taking the Mods' Jawline Offline

Should we switch out ther moderator crew at every 4 months?

• Yes, I'd like to become a moderator and I think more people would join the forums because of it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I'm happy with things the way they are now

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't expected the other topic closed. To prevent massive butt damage I'll post this in GRandmasters and be on my way.

Did anyone think what I was saying could've been a good idea? Or was the concept just flawed?
Whatever one may think about how I feel towards Lethean or any moderator, just know I was thinking big picture, and honestly the more I thought about the idea, the more I liked it. But if the majority thought it wasn't a good idea or not worth exploring so be it.

btw I wouldn't want Lethean to lose his admin rights just because he's busy. That's never happened before, it shouldn't happen now. I'd like to see everyone switched out, sure, but not one. I'm not hunting Rabbit. But I would like to see some changes on whole.

And before you vote, don't let your personal feelings get in the way. It's an anonymous vote, so, you know, this is your shot at telling GR that Yes, you'd like to one day become a moderator, or No, you're happy with things the way they are now.
It's as simple as that.

The vote's open to everyone, obviously. Moderators and us regulars. I never vote in my own polls.

I have to admit as much as I support bringing in fresh mods its really only a position that I admired when I was younger and didn't have experiences leading guilds and other forums.

It wouldn't me personally attract me to want to use the forums more for getting mod status.

Can you link to the other topic? Was this idea fleshed out more there?

I'm not a fan of forcing people in and out of mod positions, especially since the process disregards any context. Four months is also not a considerably long period of time (depending on how active someone is expected to be), which ought to be taken into consideration.

Is this a problem with incentive for forum users or a problem with keeping mods for too long? I don't see a problem with the latter, so long as no one has a problem with them. If they do, voicing opinion isn't difficult to do. Regarding the former, I've never thought of potential mod-status to be something that should -- or in practice does -- affect forum participation. In any case, if someone wants the role, they can step up and make some proclamation; we don't need to create mandatory procedures in order to make forum users feel capable of becoming moderators.

Sorry if I've missed out on the discussion. I haven't been around for as long as most others, but my opinion for now is that things have been adequately spiffy around here.

This is the idea
wqq0t1.png

1. Move Daniel to the GM position because he's on payroll, wiping the slate clean of everyone else currently holding a position as moderator.
2. Open registration up to the community, point being to increase ad revenue and bolster forum usage among new members in an effort at growing out the community and the GR brand on whole.
 • Forum users would actually vote on new moderators at every 4 months, anyone's eligible for the 4 month position; because forum users are voting on the mods there's an instant incentive to not be a jackass on the forums for any of the newer members who join, so it pretty much polices itself
 • The forum users would also vote on 1 moderator who'll have a 1 year stint at the position. Only those with the "Old Skool" medal in their bio would be eligible for the 1 year moderator stint--the medal system is already in place. "We're glad you joined the GR forums, now please stay with the GR forums"

-----
The idea is to gain more forum users, new users signing into GR, and create more web traffic for the main site hopefully translating to more ad revenue for the masters on high.
It keeps things active and vibrant for the newer members, because something is always going on at one of the most important positions. Controlled chaos is damn sexy.
But right now among users, the thought of holding the position has all of the pulse of this guy, but that's only because change rarely happens at the top. With nothing else to sell, to attract, why not push your "forum status" to new members? And remember, this is all an effort at reeling in new members. A membership drive.

I know it would work because it's worked in the past. It actually wasn't too long ago that the mods opened registration for an empty admin position via PM request and a small paragraph explaining why that person should be considered. I believe it was maca2kx who said the mods received a ton of PMs requesting that position. Point being the interest is there no matter what people may say publicly. I guess no one's willing wager their good name with the other members by stirring the pot or rustling the jimmies...enter the crazy interloper that is me.

So yeah, I think it's selfish to hold onto the position for too long and doing so actually hurts the site in the end. ~~OooOoh, controversial~, but not really. The forums need a breath mint, and I considered this idea the freshmaker, and everyone loves those commercials, so hey.
I just think this moderator production could be a lot more--mmmmmm--zippy. It just--it needs zazz! Am I--I mean, I'm right to say that, right?
Well, that's what the vote is about.

I sort of get your point. I'm not super coherent right now. What I want to say:

- I guess it's not so bad as long as we can vote for incumbents ad infinitum.
- I don't want to make the position prestigious just because of a title or whatever; I want to avoid people basically coming in a sucking up just to be mod. Just different attitudes of users, something to be wary of at least. (Also, cf. IRC.)

Thank you for thinking it over.
The tweaks you've made sound good. I side with the thinking that any influx of newbies would be a good thing, but I'd expect a lot of suck ups, too. But with the forum voting in lieu of the traditional method, this sort of problem will sort itself out. It polices itself because it puts the power in the voters' hands.
I see your point about keeping a capable mod on as well, so long as he wins the vote.

It's all a way to bring more activity to the site using the forum, which has always been one of the more popular features of the Game Revolution. I've clicked your name and see you have the Old Timer medal. I have the Jail Bait medal. Neither of us would be eligible for the 1 year mod position because that requires the Old Skool medal. Want to be a mod for one year? Then stick around on the forums and get your Old Skool medal. +1 recruitment drive. This whole system takes parts of the website that are already in place and puts them to work for us.

Only ONE can stay and moderate the forums.

The results are in, America Has Voted.

The mods all look a little nervous...

goodbyemichaelscott.jpg

officedwight0330.jpg

blackadam52.png

sarahpalin5.jpg

paulmccartney1.jpg

t1largmatsudagi.jpg

578600.jpg

The 1st moderate leaving the competion is...

Welcome Back!

Now.... the results are in...

americas-got-talent-nick-cannon-season-4jpg-d70b400e6446ff9c_large.jpg

America

Has

Voted

The moderator leaving the competition is...

..........LETHEAN

I_has_a_sad.gif

Aww it's ok buddy! Hey let's keep it goin for Lethean everyone.

TNGaudienceapplause.gif

Tune in next week when ONE MORE will be removed from the moderator clique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod