xcom vs x-com enemy unknown

drathbone

Regular
Could somebody please clear this up for me. I came across an old game magazine I didn't read (was sent to an old address between moving) and saw something about Xcom, an FPS based on the old turn based strategy/rpg alien game. Recently, X-com: Enemy Unknown came out which is a turn based game based on the old one, I thought this was the FPS that was coming out.

So, was this an old announcement/teaser and they decided to make it truer to its roots (strategy vs fps)? Or was this an entirely different game?

Entirely different game, I heard. Enemy Unknown is a remake of the original game while XCOM is a FPS reboot of the series just like Syndicate.

Thanks. That was bothering the phuck out of me, especially when I played EU demo and was waiting for the FPS part. Totally unexpected.

I saw Mass Eff-XCOM at E3... uh, two years ago now? I didn't really like what I saw, if only for the never-ending river of shit XCOM fans were about to throw at 2K while screaming. And yes, they dialed development on that one back and turned out Enemy Unknown as a "remake" of the original.

I think the FPS has some interesting ideas, but it's not the XCOM fans of the series wanted.

danielrbischoff said:
I saw Mass Eff-XCOM at E3... uh, two years ago now? I didn't really like what I saw, if only for the never-ending river of shit XCOM fans were about to throw at 2K while screaming. And yes, they dialed development on that one back and turned out Enemy Unknown as a "remake" of the original.

I think the FPS has some interesting ideas, but it's not the XCOM fans of the series wanted.

Wait I'm still confused (maybe more than before, thanks Daniel). So it was originally announced as an FPS but fans said that's stupid so they released EU as the throwback to the original but are still making the FPS? Or is it two seperate developers making the game? I'm sure I could google all of this but I like to facilitate discussion on the forum.

2K Games is publishing both games. One team (Firaxis) made Enemy Unknown, the tactical strategy game that's out. The other team (2K Marin {Bioshock guys}) are/were working on the FPS reimagining.

Funny thing is, I didn't even know about the original xcom till I went to the steam forums looking for help about my special edition box I bought and the dlc that came with it not activating on my steam account.

Then I saw the threads from the original xcom players going on and on and on about how their childhoods were raped by this latest xcom game and if you liked it, you had no idea what good games are.

I quietly exited my browser, no solution to my missing dlc to be found, still wondering wtf they were crying about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod