Wow, a group of Christians are boycotting Wal*Mart....

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by slickbenjamn, Dec 18, 2005.

?

Do you agree on the usage of "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas"?

1. I do agree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I don't agree

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. slickbenjamn

slickbenjamn Rookie

... For not mentioning Christmas in their advertisements.

http://articles.news.aol.com/business/a ... 01&cid=505

What do you guys think about the usage of happy holidays instead of Merry Christmas, and why?

Personally, I think it's just easier to mention all the holidays of the season. Plus, as Wal*Mart mentions, they have been using the slogan since Thanksgiving, and will continue through New Years.

What do you guys think?

2. derekk

derekk Rookie

I think this is fine, because there is more than one holiday at this time of year, and it's easier than saying "Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy New Years!" People like those Christians need to re evaluate their lives.

3. GiftedMonkey

GiftedMonkey Rookie

If the Right-wing, Republican,. Red State, Bible thumpin', Southern Christians dont shop at Wal*Mart, where will they shop?

:?:

4. monkeygoat

monkeygoat Rookie

yeah but the whole christmas extravaganza is based not around other religons celebrations that happen to fall around this period of the year, but for the Christian christmas. All the decorations, christmas dinner, presents, Santa(Santa Niklaus, St. Nicholas), christmas trees, Christmas Carols. These are all based around the christmas celebration of christs birth. If they are selling stuff to do with other religious festivals they can say whatever, but when they are selling something to do with a christian festival do you not thinkit is reasonable to say "Merry Christmas".?
    I'm not a "Right-wing, Republican,. Red State, Bible thumpin', Southern Christian" but I belive that you should call Christmas CHRISTMAS not XMAS. This is not Wal Mart trying to appeal to more people or be Politically Correct, or when people say Xmas its not trying to shorten it. Or how they try and put reindeer christmas lights up instead of the real message of christmas and the nativity lights in the centre of my town. This is about people trying to get the whole "christ" thing out of christmas. And I think thats wrong.

5. malakian

malakian Rookie

Dont care. I'll go for whichever annoys the idiot right, though.

6. kmg0

kmg0 Rookie

Wal Mart still would make money and stuff out of their other things + more electronic availbility for me!

7. The_Cookster

The_Cookster Rookie

I'm for Walmart, but against malakian.

8. The_baron

The_baron Rookie

hahaha.....
    i agree

if they want to boycott walmart they can because most walmarts down south are supercenters so if they dont shop they starve

9. Flaming_Tiki_God

Do they think they're achieving something?

10. Guan_Yu

Guan_Yu Rookie

I don't agree with the whole thing because they are only trying to appeal to everyone for more sales.

But you wanna know what really pisses me off? That Chex Mix commercial where it's like a home movie Christmas party, and then they camera guy goes to the kitchen where a woman pulls out some Chex Mix from the oven, looks at the camera and giggles out "Happy Holidays!".

...At a Christmas party.

What the f*ck.

If you celebrate Christmas, and you are at a Christmas party, don't worry, it's okay to say "Merry Christmas", you stupid f*cking c*nt.

11. slickbenjamn

slickbenjamn Rookie

Although that is a debatable point, you really think it'd be better if big businesses only celebrated Christian holidays? Walmart is pretty much everywhere now, not just rural christian neighborhoods. They're in jewish neighborhoods, they're in islamic neighborhoods; why would they choose to ostrichsize themselves in their own markets? It might be for more sales, but the only way for them to survive is to sell... What if they excluded Christmas entirely and mentioned only non-christian holidays? Would that be better since it's not trying to appeal to everyone?

Not to mention that it's probably for the best if people are tolerant of other customs...

As far as Chex Mix goes, that stuff's gross. Don't eat it.

12. piracer

piracer Rookie

of course, this will only happen in america...

13. Simsy

Simsy Rookie

If only these Bible-thumpers took the time to realise that "holidays" means "Holy Days." Eh... it's not my problem if these rednecks are too stupid to learn to read.

14. slickbenjamn

slickbenjamn Rookie

15. Dobby2244

Dobby2244 Regular

LOL i havent heard of the place losing customers
    but we have half a population of ghetto black people that basically adopted the place as a second home, its horrible... so around here it definitely wont lose money.

16. KurtCobain94

KurtCobain94 Rookie

I am taking you to school you arrogant ass.

Did you happen to know the term "Xmas" comes from a Greek way of saying "Christmas". Christ in Greek is "íŽÂ§íÂ

17. masterchris

masterchris Rookie

It snows in Bethelem?
    Did not know that. I wonder what kind of winter they have there; blizzards and stuff?

Anyway, way to show that good 'ole holiday spirit!

18. piracer

piracer Rookie

oh wow, kurt just owned us all...

OMG BE PAGAN!!!!

19. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Rookie

Kwanza ftw.

20. Hellfire1014

Hellfire1014 Rookie

It should be...
    "Ahh the holidays. Highest suicide rate...Happy Holidays."

Yea it probably dosent have the highest suicide rate, but meh. People dont know that. They're stupid.