Woman Who Faked Cancer Remanded Into Custody

Apologies if there is a thread on this. The search engine isn't perfect.

A 23-year-old woman who admitted to faking cancer to encourage others to give her money has been remanded into custody, a day after surrendering to police in Oakville, Ont.

Ashley Kirilow of Burlington, Ont. made a video-link appearance at a bail hearing on Saturday. Her next court appearance is scheduled for Monday

Halton regional police arrested Kirilow on Friday and charged her with three counts of fraud under $5,000.

She is alleged to have raised thousands of dollars for herself and a charity she had supposedly established to fund cancer research. A number of people CBC contacted said Kirilow looked the part, having allegedly shaved her head and plucked her eyelashes to appear to be undergoing chemotherapy treatment.

The CBC was unable to reach Kirilow for comment. However, she contacted both the Toronto Star and the QMI News Agency on Thursday, admitted to the deception and said she planned to pay back the money owed.

Both her parents and people who helped her raise money for the cause became suspicious earlier this year after she claimed to have weeks to live.

In June, Halton regional police said they received a fraud complaint in connection with her charity, called "Change" for a Cure.

According to the organization's Facebook page, "Change" for a Cure was started to encourage people to give up pocket change to help fund drug research at the University of Alberta.
Source

To me, this is an absolute disgrace to the people who actually have cancer. I bet she has no clue about how agonizing it is to watch a family member succumb to cancer, let alone how difficult it is to fight the disease.

There are con artists and then there are con finger-painters. She should have had an escape plan and never involved family and friends. Rookie.

Also, you will get no sympathy for messing with cancer.

I always think of con artists being seasoned vets.. but i guess they gotta start somewhere.

Never would've imagined something like this at 23.

Well, her life will be very lonely after this is over.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod