Will I like MGS V?

Colin_B

Forum Moderator
Staff member
MGS 2 was one of my favourite titles of the PS2 era and 4 was pretty good but not great to me. I haven't played any of the other MGS titles to have an opinion save for Ground Zeroes which I thought was decidedly...average. I felt as though I was forced to sneak lest I become a dead Snake. Maybe I just sucked at it. I also grew impatient with it given it's pacing. Knowing that, are my odds of enjoyment of The Phantom Pain lowered or if I loved MGS2 and enjoyed 4 will I likely get some decent mileage and enjoyment out of it?

Thanks!

I'm having a lot of fun with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. However, I might be a bit biased because I'm a fan of the MGS series (most of its games anyway) and I enjoy most stealth games.

I was in the same boat, to be honest. I got Ground Zeroes but I didn't really enjoy it. It felt a bit repetitive and while it gave you an open environment to play in, it still felt a bit restrictive and at times difficult.

With the Phantom Pain, the environment is absolutely huge. Much bigger than Ground Zeroes. In Phantom Pain you have two locations to go to, Afghanistan and Africa (although I haven't unlocked the latter yet). Both areas have heaps of sub areas inside it, but it's all open. The open environment feels a lot less restrictive than the environment of Ground Zeroes, to me it feels like there's a bit more freedom.

I like Phantom Pain because it has a wide variety of missions. The game does have a story, but it focuses more so on the game play. Under going missions, whether it's story or side-ops missions, it's cool because you get dropped off via chopper to a landing location of your choice, you can pick pretty much whatever mission you want to do too, providing you've unlocked it. You can even choose when to be deployed, e.g. in the morning, at night etc. I prefer to do night time missions. There's a really cool feeling about going into a base at night and rescuing your captured comrades.

You can also unlock a lot of new stuff through upgrading Mother Base. So you can upgrade your weapons/equipment, items, your "buddies" and you can upgrade Mother Base in general. So there's a bit of management style stuff, I suppose.

"TL;DR" - I didn't really like Ground Zeroes either, but I'm really enjoying Phantom Pain. I think you will too.

I also didn't love Ground Zeroes! I'll save Phantom Pain for a severe price drop or sale.

I definitely did not like ground zeroes. I have never been much for stealth games and I am surprised I even finished Snake Eater back in the day.

The only thing I care about is the story which I can watch on youtube. I will say I have enjoyed what I have watched.

I also have issues with decisions by Konami like the inclusion of micro transactions and the axing of the final chapter. (which you can still watch on youtube)

Phantom Pain and Mad Max both use denuvo encryption drm. It doesn't appear to be causing performance issues, crashes, or problems with mods so really there isn't a reason to hate denuvo this time around.

Things the devs did incredibly well. The game runs 60fps on the ps4, the pc version can unlock the framerate with a simple ini tweak(something that required a hex editor in ground zeros). The game looks good and is definitely the most optimized game to release this year. (next to mad max)

The game is probably a safe bet for your money this year.

p.s. If you buy it on the PC you can mod the game to play as this character.
Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Quiet-672x372.jpg

Benchmarks
http://www.techspot.com/review/1060-met ... page2.html

I reckon grab it.

It reminds me a lot of Far Cry to be honest - open world with loads of outposts dotted around., tagging enemies then killing them one by one (or in my case killing one, getting spotted...resorting to my "plan B" rocket launcher).

It's far superior to Far Cry though, so much more thought is involved. And you can choose to go at your own pace like Craigy boy says.

There was one mission where you have to destroy tanks with a missile launcher, and I basically got caught up at an enemy base so I ended up in a scenario of chasing after 2 tanks horseback with a rocket launcher in hand, whilst being chased from enemy soldiers behind me...I remember thinking 'holy fuckstick, this is fucking great'. To which I remembered you can call in helicopter support.....FUN!!! I eventually died, not because of the 2 massive tanks, or the fleet of enemy soldiers.....no, it was because I got attacked by a random brown bear whilst hiding in the bushes - bastard.

I will say this: Its narrative and story-telling is A LOT different from previous installments. I'm talking huge differences, no more codec-convos, no more half-hour long cutscenes etc. So if the thing you enjoyed most was that, then you may be disappointed. But the very first hour of the game truly showed me how much I remembered this series. The opening mission/gameplay is better than some films!

TL:DR...just read it you lazy bastard.

I've never played any of the other MGS games, but I'll probably end up picking this up at some point.

I liked it though if you haven't played any of the games that featured Big Boss then the story would probably go over your head but seems like the story isn't the focus as it was in the other games. It's like a mix between Farcry and a MGS game is all I could describe it. Dunno if it's GOTY with Fallout 4 coming out in November but it's easily one of the Top 3.

The ai and all the little possibilities are amazing. And I love that it uses the space instead of running you on rails through the whole game. It is also the first MGS game that lets you kill indiscriminately.

Bretimus_v2 said:
It is also the first MGS game that lets you kill indiscriminately.

I was so happy about this, because I suck hard at a lot of sneaky stuff.

I rarely kill in MGSV. I've only killed a few enemies because I had to as part of the story. I'm wondering though if there was a way around it?

I'm talking about the Skulls. I had to kill 'em with the Honeybee, unless you could just run away and escape?

Not sure? I just wanted to use the Honey Bee anyway! There are mission tasks, so I wonder if one of them to not kill anyone in any missions?

Yeah, I used one shot of the Honey Bee at the SKULLS but then died when trying to get away. On the next attempt, I shot again and managed to escape with no further issues. I then regretted my shot when I saw that you get points for each bit of ammo for it that you have remaining.

I'm having a blast with MGSV so far, but I got a lot of play out of GZ and was still enjoying that. However TPP has a lot more equipment and options to work with as you unlock more R&D items, which gives you a lot more variety when choosing how you want to approach a mission. I'm willing to bet you would enjoy it, OP.

The Mother Base is awesome as well.

Recently, I've just opened an "animal preservation platform"...and I'm passively collecting animals now! Not going out of my way or anything, but if I pass a donkey - that ass is getting fultoned.

Plus, you fulton enemy soldiers to use for your own base. After a while you find some with "gold" stats for certain attributes. When I spot one, he's usually surrounded by lots of other soldiers etc, and it becomes a separate little minigame distraction trying to extract these elite soldiers that I forget I'm on a rescuing mission.

Little perks like that are making me love this game.

I feel like a kid in a candy store upgrading my weapons, just got to where I can customize them. I agree on still checking outposts just to see if there is anyone worth abducting.

Best tactic. I threw a smoke grenade, rode in on my horse, tranqued them quicker than Cosby, then rode off with my prize. Win.

I get super excited when I get to upgrade my weapons. I haven't been able to get the best people for my base though, so I find the upgrading process slow. Although I did get the new sneaking suit, which looks awesome!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod