Why youths don't vote

Ted Wolff

Rookie
Every election year we all hear about how the youth vote in America is so substandard.

Many people, pundits, professionals, politicians, public speakers, etc. have posited why this is.

Well, I have the reason.

This year election day is November 7th.

Gears of War, Call of Duty 3, and Guitar Hero 2 all are released on November 7th this year.

How many gamers are going to waste time in a booth when they can be fraggin' and jammin'? I won't be.

Oh yeah, Fuzion Frenzy 2 comes out as well :)

Well, I'm Canadian so I won't be voting.

I like the idea of voting, it voices your opinion!

....yeah right, voting is for tools.

GhostTrip said:

Fun statistic: if all Canadians aged 18-25 were to vote, the NDP would have a majority government.

Simsy said:
GhostTrip said:

Fun statistic: if all Canadians aged 18-25 were to vote, the NDP would have a majority government.
NDP for life.

Simsy said:
GhostTrip said:

And then I'd shake my fist at them and blame them for all voting NDP. Odds of them all voting NDP, and all voting at all are slim to none though thank God.

Simsy said:
And that's what pisses me off. Young people aren't voting, so we ALL get stuck with a fucked up conservative government whom you know the majority of supporters are middle-aged and older people (read: the ones who actually get off their asses and vote).

Voting is just used as a way to make people actually think they have a say in how their countries are run.

They do have a say. It has always been that way. It's just about how responsible they are with the power democracy has give them (they are not). Even in a totalitarian state, people have a say, most just don't know it.

TheRobinator said:
They do have a say. It has always been that way. It's just about how responsible they are with the power democracy has give them (they are not). Even in a totalitarian state, people have a say, most just don't know it.

Tool.

JCD said:
Voting is just used as a way to make people actually think they have a say in how their countries are run.

I agree with you. Even if we do/did get the things we want, it's all because they let us have it. Not, because we made them give it to us.

Now, now. Let's not get personal. But I must ask you Robinator, do you really believe that voting makes any difference? If a government wants to do something, they will do it. They'll just use voting as an excuse. Fuchers.

I was just nicely asking the man why he believes I am an idiot, as I have done nothing to offend him.

As for the voting part, it was the population (or at least, its majority) that put those people (in the government) in power, or rather, voted for representatives to put those people in power. If a government really could do anything it wanted once it got into power, it would have immediately overthrown the republic and become a totalitarian state. The reason why it can't is because it is kept in check by the Congress (which I believe is elected by the people) and such.

Besides, a majority of the Bush administration's decisions in the US (though I'm rather... unsure about the PATRIOT Act's popularity) were supported by a majority of its people (i.e. the invasions of Afghanistan & Iraq), well, at least initially.

But yeah, while voting for representatives who do your voting for you sounds kinda fudged-up, it would be hard to get anything done with a direct democracy in a country as large as the USA.

I understand the voter apathy from your part, as it is common amongst people in a two-party state, but that party is part of the reason why the governments in the world get away with a lot of things (though if you're not of voting age, never mind).

Though I know little about Canadian politics, studies in America have shown that if we had perfect voter turnout, 100%, in every election, there wouldnt be a significant change in the results.

umm

i would like to say that the NDP are bastards. they would raise taxes and spend tax payers money on stupid social programs.
The conservatives r0x0rs j00 boxors. Im from BC btw...
i would also like to say that the liberals are ok, but i still dont like them cause they tend to say waht tax payers want to hear. they are bad.
conservatives ahve followed through on their promises. they are doing a great job.
Paying off our national debt has been a huge bonus for canadians. Why do u think our dollar has been doing good lately?
Conservatives for life!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod