Which Final Fantasy do you think is best? (Main series only)

I came up with this thought when I was comparing FF2 and FF3 (Or 4 and 6 if you like) and figured I'd ask it of the series in general: Which one do you think is the greatest overall?

The best in my eyes will always be FF2. In almost every category, it blows all the others out of the water.

I feel that on the whole, the music is better, the story is better, the characters are better and on the whole it's a much better game than anything else in the series.

Which game do you guys prefer?

f17f9d838b77b5cc013aa6f0ebaa7e90.jpg

Tough question. Never finished 9 because my 2nd disc would freeze at Fossil Roo everytime. Kind of waiting for PS Now or SOMETHING to give me the ability to purchase it and play it again.

Apart from that - I'd say 7. Just holds a place in my heart everytime. 8 is a damn close second, I just think I was too stupid to appreciate junctioning properly. 10 was great too, loved the sphere grid.

12 I never understood the plot, plus the licence system can fuck itself.

13 has the best battle system. But the linear gameplay just ruined it all. Even the story was OK.

I have never understood why people dislike the license system. You never hear anyone bitch about skill trees.

Matt also said 13 has the best battle system so he obviously is retarded.

My favorite is IX. Throwback to the old classes and systems. Just full of fan service.

VIII is a close second. And III for the DS, if that counts as "main series."

IV, first one I played and absolutely loved it. The Hand of God I still remember, one of the pimp items for a specific character.

its really a toss up between VIII and VI for me. VIII had some of the best characterization going for it with actual, believable protagonists for once, and a not so complex thematic undercurrent about how important camaraderie, friendship and love actually are in the world. VI had similar themes, but a better story overall in terms of socio-political machinations, and arguably the best villain in any final fantasy game. It did suffer from too many playable characters, although almost all of them had a moment to shine.

I guess, if I had to pick, I would say VIII. But VI is really close, like, coin-flip close.

Conversely, I would argue VII is among the worst, but thats a discussion for another day.

With the licences in 12, it was annoying...you could buy and get the weapon/magical whatever, but not use it. Seemed a pointless middleman in the whole process on acquiring a new strength/defense when it really shouldn't be that bloody complicated.

Like Used said though, I am a retard.

For myself it would be
10, 8, 6, 12, 7

And even though there were plenty of things to hate about 13 and 13-2, I'll agree with matt that I think those had the best battle systems. They had a added layer of customization and strategy that the other ones did not have.

You know, maybe making a thread asking which one is your worst liked FF game would give better result. We are too divided in here!

...That and link is a poo-poo head for picking 8 over 7.

God darn it! The poo-poo head are multiplying!

Why won't you people understand FF8 was good in one thing and one thing only... TRIPLE TRIAD!

...the rest sucked though. And then it got better in FF9!

Lien said:
You know, maybe making a thread asking which one is your worst liked FF game would give better result.

Boo, no more of the typical GR negativity for once.

Final Fantasy X is probably my favourite. I would say this because it's the first and currently the only Final Fantasy game I have played from start to finish. I liked the plot and characters (yes, even Tidus). In a sense, I could relate to Tidus, as he is brand new to the world of Spira and has no idea what was going on, which is pretty much how I felt. I think that's what the developers were intending.

Final Fantasy VII is my next favourite purely for nostalgia. I used to play it at my friend's house all the time when I was a kid. We were only nine years old back then. Sadly, he finished the game without me. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danywigle