What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

I saw Noah tonight, and I thought it was pretty good. Long story short it puts a modern eye on the Noah story.

If you were looking for this film to fill in the gaps in the Noah story, then you'll probably be disappointed. If you were looking for a literal interpretation of the good book, then you'll probably be disappointed. I liked that it put man WAAAYY more technologically ahead at the time of the flood than you would originally guess. I liked the man's will vs. divine servitude angle and I liked the addition of the cosmos and the incorporation of evolution into the story, but in the end you have to approach this movie as a modern adaptation of a classic work of fiction in the same way that Baz Luhrmann retold romeo and Juliet.

Don't read the reviews anymore - go see it, its a pretty good film overall and the CGI is pretty sick, from the giants to the animals to the babies. Also, the Methuselah sword in the ground was pretty epic.

4/5

sidenote - Whats with Anthony Hopkins and all the religious movies recently?

2. ProfessorPhart

Backseat Bangers XVII: The Anal Expressway

It's got a great in-depth plot, with a fantastic cast. Although some people have given it negative reviews - the twist at the end alone ranks this film up high at a 4.5/5 for me!

thanks

3. HunterFire11

HunterFire11 Rookie

Want to watch the first amazing spiderman again with the new one coming next month. Prob do the same with Captain America since thats this weekend.

4. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Captain America was great. It was more of an espionage Bourne feel. The action was great though and it was good to see Cap in a setting where he (and Black Widow) could be the Alphas. Can't wait to discuss it more at length.

5. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw "This is the End" on TV. I liked it quite a bit. I bet it would have been fun to see in the theater. Danny Mcbride stole the show.

6. Gunner37

Gunner37 Rookie

Saw Captain America Winter Solider and I really enjoyed it. Like what Bret said it had a more espionage feel to it which I think greatly added to the film and if you do see it I guess there are two after credit scenes so make sure to stay until the very end. Also I will always refer to the guy who plays the falcon Papa Doc due to 8 mile

7. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Saw Captain America as well. I really liked it. Took a few liberties while still staying fairly true to the comics.

I loved the little things like the Triskelion, the mention of Steven Strange, and Arnim Zola being like how he is in the comics. Also, Brock, the asshole who gets blown up, who is Crossbones in the comics.

Also, Falcon stole the show.

8. danielrbischoff

I just saw Captain America too. First big movie of the summer, and it's only April! Falcon had a great role and overall the pacing played out well. Not a lot of waiting around like in the first Cap movie.

9. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Totally.

Does Black Widow ever get her own movie? She just kind of showed up in Iron Man 2 probably at least partially for the sex appeal, but I think a movie about her defection from the USSR could work pretty well.

10. NickKmet

NickKmet Rookie

I don't think that's the plan, but this movie had her in it enough to have almost been called Captain America and Black Widow vs. The Winter Soldier.

11. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Agreed with Nick. This really felt like it was Cap and Widow more than Cap and Falcon. I loved the Pulp Fiction reference and that Supreme Hydra will be appearing in the series! I liked the first movie but I loved this one. Although I could have done without GSP. If you're going to have the Leaper, you got have him be a bit hammier.

12. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

When satellite synced guns calibrated to New York, a name that pinged on screen was Spider-Man

13. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

Another target was the Baxter building, home of the Fantastic Four.

Though the one thing that made me sort of confused is why the hell is Baron von Strucker running HYDRA? He is a nobody! Where the hell is Baron Zemo?

14. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

See he was the guy I remember the most from my time in comics but the guy at work I talk about this crap with said the same thing.

15. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

Really? What comics was von Strucker in?

16. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Sigh. So I'm going to have to admit defeat on this one. With my catch up re-entry into comics, it appears I was giving him credit for other iterations of Hydra leaders and Supreme Hydra.

17. HunterFire11

HunterFire11 Rookie

I watched all of the Rush Hours again.

18. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

Gravity and Wolf of Wall Street

Wolf of Wall Street was exactly what I expected. The scene in the girls room with Leo's wife in the pink dress may have been the most erotic scene I've ever seen in my life. And the entire scene from when the expired Lemon Quaaludes kicked in until it ended was incredible. I would pay to get a copy of all the scenes they shot before they finally got that one right.

Movie was too long though. Other than that exactly what I expected. Leo, Scorcese, Jonah Hill, etc. Gonna be good.

Might consider it great if I hadn't see so many other Leo and Scorcese movies.

4/5

Gravity....

Great movie, wasn't that into it for the first 45. Last 45 was intense as hell. But so incredibly unbelievable I found it very hard to take remotely serious.

Beautiful movie though, and if you try to avoid taking it too seriously I can see why it would be considered great.

I probably would have like it more if EVERY SINGLE THING that could go wrong didn't go wrong. By the end *spoilers* when she crashed into the lake, sunk to the bottom, almost died from smoke inhalation, then from drowning, then tried to swim in her space suit, then managed to get it off under water and still swim to the surface. Riiighhht.... was just too far at that point. Give the girl a break already. I was almost legitimately waiting for her to fight off a shark and then get chased away by a tribe of natives wielding spears only to come across, then fight and kill a tiger in the forest. Skin it, wear its fur and yell to the sky while pounding her chest "I AM WOMAN"*End Spoilers*

4/5

19. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

Wolf of Wall Street > Gravity ... imo.

20. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

i agree but didnt feel wolf was worth a 4.5 and didnt feel gravity was worth a 3.5.

les sigh, first world problems.

maybe i'll use a 10 scale.