What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

[​IMG]

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Wes Anderson has done it again with his quirky visual style and thoughtful story telling. It might just be his most comedic movie yet, which is saying a lot considering his witty resume of films.

It might not mean much since Jan and Feb are the shitty months for movies but it's the best film of the year so far.

2. danielrbischoff

Grand Budapest Hotel

10/10

Really great movie. So many little references. We brought food and drink in, but I was so sucked into the story and all the layers that I didn't really care. I really liked the nested narratives and the way the movie was presented.

Wes Anderson so you probably know how it looked with lots of profile and head-on shots, but he messed with them in inventive ways, tricking your eye or cutting diagonally through it. There's also a lengthy ski and sled chase down a snowy mountain. Really funny animation and motion blur, toys but flying through these scenes with cuts of the two parties. One Willem Dafoe as another ruthless bad guy.

Fuckin' see this movie. Way better than Moonrise Kingdom.

3. HunterFire11

HunterFire11 Rookie

I finally saw catching fire. great movie.

4. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Veronica Mars

I went with two people who were huge fans and sat in between them, which was great because they pointed out all the little things.

Besides that, it's a solid film that was enjoyable for fans and people like me. Probably wouldn't choose to see it again, but I know I will. Still a fun movie.

4/5

5. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Longo, you shall be a Marshmallow yet.

6. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

I was explaining to my friends that I really hope they do another movie, because while the first movie is just a redux of the show, the second movie gets to go full Wrath of Khan.

7. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

[​IMG]

5 out of 5.

Such a powerful, important film. I could find very few flaws at all and it's accuracy is top notch. I suppose my only complaint if it can even be considered one, is that Solomon's time as a slave felt too short given how many years he was enslaved. It felt as though his 12 years were condensed into feeling as though they were 3 or 4 if that. That doesn't undermine the importance of his story or that of the movie however and I highly recommend "12 Years a Slave". Probably the most deserving film to win the best picture award in many years.

8. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

Batman and Robin

I don't know why, but my friend and I watched this movie. It was an absolute mess of terrible jokes, premises, poor writing, terrible acting, and should never have happened. There were not enough beers to make it worthwhile.

Still better than Dark Knight Rises.

1/5

9. Affen

Affen Rookie

Yeah the flow of time wasn't depicted that well. Everything was happening fast and no clear signs of the time passing were really there. But I agree. Great movie.

10. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I watched Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs on the weekend and I really enjoyed it. First time I've ever seen it and I really enjoyed it.

11. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Fixed

12. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

The Grand Budapest Hotel might be my favorite movie that has come out since Django Unchained.

13. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

Hot Fuzz

Okay, so I've seen this movie about a dozen times.

Still one of my favorites.

4.5/5

14. Lien

Lien Rookie

The Grand Budapest hotel is more like the best film of this decade. I am willing to fight with teeth and nails for its recognition. Every other film coming this year will suck in comparison. That's my prediction.

The trailer for "A thousand ways to die in the west" that came before the film started looks like the biggest schlock film we will grow to hate this coming year... It was such a mood killer...

15. Wes

Wes Rookie

Finally saw Thor: The Dark World and it was awesome. Also saw The Desolation of Smaug a second time and it looked horrible. I just remember it looking amazing in theaters and like cartoonish crap at home. Maybe it has something to do with the 48 vs 24 FPS?

16. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Smokin Aces

4/5.

A great film, it takes a while to get going but it's the build-up I love - introductions of crazed, unique characters. It may be me just having a hard-on about the "Battle Royale" scenario (I clearly read too much manga), but I thought it was a blast! Love the Tremor Brothers.

17. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

^Favorite Character - El Estrago. That elevator shootout is arguably the best gun fight in any movie ever made.

[​IMG]

18. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I saw the film Noah.

It was okay. I won't spoil anything but I will say this, the second half of the movie feels very long winded and it is honestly a very depressing movie. I didn't enjoy it, it was "okay" I suppose but I walked out of the cinema thinking "Man, wtf".

It's supposed to be based off the story of Noah's Ark from the Bible so... not to be rude or disrespectful but, I can see why the movie is considered controversial.

19. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

Noah was retarded lol.

Not anti religious, nor am I religious. Completely in the middle so I'm not just an angry neck beard atheist bashing it because it deals with the idea of God.

The story was all over the place, some similar to the Bible, some parts not related at all... like.. at all, I'm looking at you rock creatures.

And like you said Craig, very depressing. Almost felt like a thriller/horror movie at some points.

The movie was just a mess IMO and had no idea what it wanted to be. The reviews thus far actually shock me. Normally any religious movie takes a beating from critics because so many people will have biased opinions against it before they even see it. The good reviews made me think it must be a masterpiece. Not so much... Just a mess IMO.

Kinda disappointed. That said I wouldn't say it's a BAD movie... just, a confused movie.

Emma Watson gave it an extra .5

3/5

20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

^ Yeah, pretty much intoTheRain. I agree with everything you've said about the Noah film.