What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. MasterRabbi

MasterRabbi Rookie

The Hunter (with William Defoe)

3.5/5

It was very scenic and had some great ethical questions. It was a bit slow though, and the characters were a bit unapproachable. Which was intentional, but still made it harder to watch. I want to rate it higher, but I don't think it deserves a 4.

2. The_Joker

The_Joker Rookie

I went to see 2016 Obama's America.

Pretty interesting I guess... 3/5.

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Sleepwalk With Me

It was really, really good. Honestly, my only complaint is I heard like forty percent of the jokes in his standup. But besides that, it was amazing. I would recommend it to anyone who has a theater nearby that can go see it at.

4. Lien

Lien Rookie

I didn't see the film but i want to show you the (hilarious) reason why i wont' see the film as represented with these two rotten tomatoes user reviews

first one:
    And then this one:
    God bless America

5. C_nate

C_nate Rookie

We decided to rent Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows earlier tonight. I was a little iffy about it because I had thoroughly enjoyed the first one and saw this one get a lot of negative press.

All in all though, it was a pretty good movie and I enjoyed it as much as the first. Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law just have a great rapport on screen and their interactions keep the film entertaining and prevent it from getting a little too serious.

My only critique would be that they went a little overboard and heavy handed on the action this time around. And one annoying sequence that Hollywood loves to do which has our heroes being chased through the woods by bad guys with rifles only to have the guys with rifles keep chasing them all the way into arms reach allowing our heroes to disarm said bad guys rather than what any reasonable bad guy with a rifle would do which is to shoot them from 50 feet away where they would have no chance of grabbing your rifle away from you.

But other than those minor annoyances I found it to be an enjoyable and worthwhile rental.

6. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

i'll co-sign to the Sherlock Holmes: GoS renting.
    i'm with you, I usually don't like the over the top action*, but i was digging it here. i liked the contrast of late 1800s Britannia meeting 2011 special effects.

*MI: ghost protocol is the exception. that movie's just damn cool.

7. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

[​IMG]

Lawless

Pros: An American Tom Hardy, an incredibly creepy Guy Pierce and Commissioner Gordon.

Cons: Shia LaBeouf

It was an interesting story about prohibition and how it affected the sticks and hicks lol. It's based on a true story, and as always the movie exaggerates to make it more entertaining. The exaggeration works though because the myths behind these characters were exaggerated and people thought they were tough as nails.

Good film, not a great one. Premium Rush was better, but I still liked this one a lot.

3/5

8. Rakon

Rakon Rookie

Saw Para-Norman the other night, absolutely amazing. If you liked Coraline (which there's no reason you shouldn't), you'll love this. Awesome stop motion, a lot of humour, and just a great flick. Highly recommend.

9. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

[​IMG]

bernie

Quite enjoyed, and I don't normally like Jack Black, but he was excellent in this role.

4/5

10. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

cabin in the woods..

the fuck.. did i just watch...

4.5/5 just because it's so fucking weird and not what you'd expect... entertaining... part of me wants to be like man this is so lame.. the other part wants to be like yo.. this is what movies are supposed to be, entertaining completely out of this world far fetched craziness.

11. Lien

Lien Rookie

Funny, for me it's the other way around. I thought some scenes SHOULD of been more exaggerated as it took too much of a serious tone. Like Tom Hardy's character. But i agree that the level of violence was close to perfect and you can tell those dude can survive a gun fight or two.

However... i think Guy pierce and Gary oldman played the most silly role i've ever scene. Guy pierce plays the main villain in this film and plays the most effeminate person i'd ever seen. Brushing off his coat every 5 seconds and actually feels outwardly disgusted. If it wasn't for that one black prostitute he'd hired, i would of though Hollywood would of went to their age old harmful stereotype that Gay people are evil And highlight this part cause it got spoilers: I REALLY thought he was gonna rape that poor cripple kid! JESUS!. I kinda wish he was a corrupt cop rather then a sephiroth.

And gary oldman got nothing to say. He gave nothing to the plot and his performance was over in less then a blink of the eye. You'll forget he was in the film faster then you can say "Wait that's the guy who played in Tinker tailor soldier?".
    But still, and you'll be surprise but, for me, the highlight of the entire film IS Shia LaBeouf. It made me forget that he was a Micheal Bay poster kid and rather that he shows promise of aspiring young actors of today who can be something special in this generation of bleak unrealistic actors.

In the end, this movie doesn't deserve awards BUT it certainly doesn't deserve the office bomb it's going through right now. Go see it!

.... Oh and apparently there were women in the movie too... but they hardly contributed anything to the main plot 'cept for Hollywood style shoe-in romance and a weak representation of rape plot that seemed added in the last minute cut.

12. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Your opinion is so different from mine that we'd make a great Siskel and Ebert duo.

People would tune in to watch us complain about each other :)

13. Lien

Lien Rookie

I'll be the french guy, you'll be the guy who judges a video game by its cover.

See what i did there?

Side note, I saw the film again last night. Still like it but i'll wait a nother year before i'll watch it again... And i, once again, forgot that gary oldman was in it despite the fact he was the first one in the "Staring" cast!
    And it just got nominated for the palm d'or. Interesting...

14. danielrbischoff

I have to go see this. Loved Coraline.

15. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Coraline! That's a better example for Para-Norman over Monster House. Can't believe I didn't think of it!

[​IMG]

The Possession.

Tis the season for horror movies but skip this one. I'll start by saying I didn't want to see this because I knew it wasn't a Sam Raimihorror flick and his name was just used to promote the movie. When they do this, it's a red light to all the film geeks out there that not even the studio has faith in this movie.

But regardless I was dragged to see it and tried to give it a chance. Going in with a low opinion can sometimes help a movie but not this time. it was just a bunch of the same old horror gimmicks we've seen again and again. Most of the scares were funny in an unintentional way and the audience spent most of the time laughing than being afraid. Although I did get a Raimi vibe at times since he's known for throwing in a bit of dark humour into his horror films. I'm sure if he ACTUALLY made this it would've been done the right way.

Maybe if it was 30 years ago this would've been terrifying but by today's standards a possession movie is just old and forgettable.

1/5

If you want a good horror movie to get you in the Fall spirit go see Para-Norman.

16. NecroWolf

NecroWolf Regular

[​IMG]

I just recently re-watched this, amazing movie if you're into the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era. Good,solid story and acting... the fighting isn't bad either.

17. Affen

Affen Rookie

Red Cliff was great. I have to re-watch it sometime.

I have some shitty/awesome action movies in store for the weekend. Van Dammes Street Fighter among them.

18. Guan_Yu

Guan_Yu Rookie

I saw The Dark Knight Rises. It was very scary and loud but then the man dressed up like a bat and he punched the bad guys. The man bat brought justtice into the heart of tomorrow with his powerful karate. All in all I give it two kisses and three wet mouths.

19. Lien

Lien Rookie

Edited to make it fit in signature format.

We missed you so bad Guan_Yu

20. Noritama

Noritama Rookie

[​IMG]

As an avid watcher of old Action movies I got to say this movie hit so many notes and in such a great entertaining way. I gotta say it's a great popcorn flick.
    4/5