What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. GiftedMonkey

GiftedMonkey Rookie

Last movie I saw:

The Hunger Games

Honestly, I'm surprised this doesn't have its own topic. You rarely see film adaptations that are (1) as true to the book and (2) this good. The quality of this movie definitely stems from keeping the story intact.

On a side note, this movie had the seventh highest opening for midnight showings (behind 3 Twilight movies and 3 Harry Potter movies) and the third highest opening weekend of all time (behind Dark Knight and the last Harry Potter). This kind of news really makes me wish that Hollywood used a different barometer for movie success than box office, because movie tickets are always getting more expensive. Look up any list of highest-grossing movies, and besides from some heavy hitters like Star Wars, Jaws, and ET, its all Harry Potters, Transformers, Pirates of the Caribbean, and other movies from the last decade or so. If you find a list that is adjusted for inflation, you get a very different picture indeed. I propose that instead of box office (BO) numbers, Hollywood adopt Butts In Seats (BIS) numbers. For example, although some Twilight movies had the highest BO, on that fateful night in April of '99, I guarantee Phantom Menace had a higher BIS. It's all because people paid $11 to see Twilight, and $7.50 to see Star Wars. Of course Twilight will make more money, even if less people saw it that Star Wars.

4.5/5 (Because the book is always better. Possible exception: Fight Club)

2. MasterRabbi

MasterRabbi Rookie

That always did bother me too. I guess it just shows how much they care about money?

OT, I just watched Alien again. Sooo good, legitimately scary movie that doesn't use music or fake tension to build the threat. I was, however, more bugged about some of the illogical things they did this time. And how did the Alien know to get into the shuttle?

3. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

I watched hunger games too. Wasnt bad.. But the plot holes in the story were numerous unless you read the books. And the chemistry between katniss and peter (sp) was non existent. I enjoyed it, was quite into it the whole time. But there were a lot of facepalm moments and things that straight up didnt make sense. And the katniss peter total lack of chemistry really bothered me. He was like a child. She was a smoking hot mature adult. It was almost weird. Wasnt feeling it at all. Girlfriend agreed with me. She read all the books.

This movie falls into my just a movie category. It entertains, requires little brain power to follow, and doesnt stay with u at all after u leave the theater.

3.5/5

4. Noritama

Noritama Rookie

Debby goes to Dallas
    6/5. The title delivers what Debby is bound to do.

5. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I disagree....I just saw it tonight, and while they could have focused on the Katniss/Peeta dynamic more, in the book there really wasn't much of a chemistry there either. It was mostly Katniss playing off the star crossed lovers theme to get items from donors. She never really felt anything for Peeta, just essentially using him like he used her.

I agree with Gifted....Really well done I thought, and stayed remarkably true to the source than most novels-to-screen movies. I also really liked how they focused on Seneca Crane at lot in the movie, it definitely seemed like he had a bigger role in it than compared to the book.

6. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Agree with GL and Monkey.

What I really liked was the pacing. With a lot of these movies they are go to slow on stuff that isn't important (20 mins for the wedding alone on Breaking Dawn) or they zoom through everything because they jam it full of stuff.

The screenplay was well adapted, they took out some of the more bizarre things, and stream-lined a lot of other stuff. I guess what impressed me the most was that they still made it about the story and not just the action. I had to fears going in....that they would Twilight it (everyone a model, wooden acting, horrible production, basically everything bad about bad movies) or they would Lion, Witch, Wardrobe it (spoon fed story, double the amount of action and focus almost solely on action). Enjoyable fun movie. And I even liked Kravitz. Anyways...

7. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

lol yea i can't believe Kravitz didn't drive me nuts, i normally hate that guy.

I just found Peters (thats his name right?) character to be annoying, the fact that katniss could wrestle for a minute with a girl who had been trained her whole life to kill and survive,, the fact cannons didn't go off after a handful of deaths, etc. to bug me too much. Katniss being in a tree and they gave up trying to kill her because they can't get an angle on her with a bow, wtF? my girlfriend told me that's something about their zone or whatever not having bow training, but a 10 year old with a bow for the first time could hit her with ease if they backed up and thought for two seconds about it. and these are "trained killers"

and just the general sillyness of it. it just wasn't realistic to me. at all. like how Peter can't do ANYTHING, the badasses are all laughing at him, but he tosses a big ball and they're like WOAH! this guy can throw heavy things maybe hes not jokes afterall! how the black guy didn't kill katniss after he killed the other girl because katniss helped keep the black girl live and was her friend. umm sorry, but in real life you'd be like sorry, i appreciate what you did and don't want to do this, but now you must die. why did Katniss have to shoot the apples onto the mines from 4000 feet away and take her sweet time while standing completely in the open. why not toss a big stick and be done with it. the list goes on.. was just a million things that drove me nuts.

i definitely think it was well done. it just isn't a movie I would ever watch again or will really remember.

but Katniss is SMOKING hot. and oddly that's the only time i've seen her attractive. she looks totally different on every magazine cover i've seen her on.

apologies for the wall of text full of errors.

8. GiftedMonkey

GiftedMonkey Rookie

Honestly dude...just read the book. It's written for junior high school kids. You can finish it in a night. It will answer all your questions.

9. danielrbischoff

Welcome back rain! Where were you?

10. Gunner37

Gunner37 Rookie

Watched The Descendants and I loved the movie 4/5

11. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

it's been sunny here for a while, been workin on dat tan and summer body haha. seriously though, i was....

but the rain is comin now, all those clouds brought me back. and prepping to get my geek on May 15th, monitor tan is more important. When it rains, you get rain.

12. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Rain...where do I start? You're expecting pre-teens to do something logical and act like "normal people". How long have you been a member of the boards? But, on top of that you're expecting teens in a young adult sci-fi novel movie adaptation, who love in a dystopian future where one area lives in futuristic, David Bowie fashion splendoor and the rest are living in Hoovervilles, and they're in high stress circumstances with minimal nutrition, sleep, shelter with the high chance of death at any turn to act like normal people? I mean, a grown woman on Millionaire thought that the moon was smaller than an elephant...no gun to her head, probably sleeping in a hotel, meal in belly, just stress alone made her do something non-sensical.

Besides, these kids are probably inbred and stupid, having lived in a tiny closed community for 75 years.

13. Delorean88

Delorean88 Rookie

[​IMG]
    21 Jump Street

I was against this movie since I saw the first trailer for this film, I didn't think it would be funny and when I went to the theater I was originally planning to see wrath of the titans. My friends and I were late and saw this instead since it was available and I was walking in expecting crap. Man, I haven't laughed that hard in the theater in a long time. I think the last movies to make me laugh that hard in the theater (or first showing) were Horrible Bosses and Black Dynamite. Shocked me how much I liked it, seriously I see why it has a 85% on RT. If you're still skeptical just go in with an open mind cause it might surprise you
    4/5

[​IMG]
    Shaft

Had to watch this for one of my classes, it was hard to take this movie serious only because it keep reminding me of Black Dynamite but overall I liked it. Cool classic film
    I don't know what to rate it, I guess a 4/5 or a 3/5...... 3.5? Sure......

14. Sea-Change

Sea-Change Rookie

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok, I'm done.

15. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

21 Jump Street

[​IMG]

Hilarious! Ice Cube gives a great performance as the hard-ass boss while Joanna Hill and Channing Tatum make a surprisingly funny duo. Rob Riggle, as always, plays a great jerk while Ellie Kemper from the Office plays her cooky self (although she does look a lot creepier than her character Erin who is full of cuteness).

My only gripe is that the gross-out joke at the end goes a bit too far. I guess comedies feel they always need to raise the bar these days but I always find it unnecessary.

But regardless, it's the funniest movie of the year so far 4.5/5

16. Gunner37

Gunner37 Rookie

Watched 50/50 last night and it is a great movie its got humor, even though your watching a movie about a guy, with cancer it also had its sad moments but overall great movie. 4/5

17. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

[​IMG]
    The Raid : Redemption

Bad.Ass.

4.5 out of 5. The best action film I have seen in quite some time. The fight choreography was amazing, the pace was breakneck and the film as a whole felt very tense. There was a sense of urgency felt throughout it's entirety. Well worth every penny.

18. intoTheRain

intoTheRain Regular

On December 21st, 2012, Lethean will give a movie a negative review. THIS will cause the apocalypse, not the silly Mayans :lol:

Seriously though Lethan, I CAN'T SEE THE PICTURE AND YOU DIDN'T TELL US THE NAME. I can't take the suspense.

Edit: You fixed it before I posted. *Shakes Fist*

I know nothing of this film, I will surely investigate.

19. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

I didn't edit anything. Must be the site :(.

I don't generally have negative things to post because my time is so precious and rarely do I have spare time that I make sure the movie I'm going to watch won't waste my two hours or possibly more lol.

20. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I want to see The Raid so much. I'm hoping it comes to VOD soon.