What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Well, Hellboy was a bit disappointing. Which is interesting considering since I had not seen a trailer or anything, I wasn't hyped up about it. It's okay, but nothing special. It just seems to meander from scene to scene with dialog that often felt like it should be coming from one of SyFy's B movies, just with a higher budget for better special effects (seriously, there were like twelve Visual Effects studios listed in the credits).

Then yesterday, I saw Shazam! This was a very fun movie. It had a bit of cheesiness here and there, a bit of a hokey ending, though that was offset by some very dark sequences earlier. All the actors did a great job. Though I swear, Asher Angel, the kid who played Billy Batson, often looked like a long lost twin of Maisie Williams. Definitely recommend if you like your DC films a bit more lighthearted than the earlier films in their connected universe.

Paradox likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I finally got around to watching Aquaman (aka Water Thor). I really enjoyed it. It’s one of those movies where you just sit back with some popcorn and have some fun. The effects all looked great, as did Black Manta. I liked how they made the classic suit look cool and practical. I’d definitely be down for a sequel. I’m hoping Marvel gets the Namor rights untangled at some point soon; after seeing them take on all realms cosmic, mystic, and quantum, I’d like them to tackle an underwater story of their own.

3. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I snuck out for an opening day viewing of Endgame on Thursday. And man what a movie. While Infinity War was the overall more enjoyable experience, the last hour of Endgame was a must see experience. As for the first two hours, it had it’s excellent moments, and it had it’s drawn out and just ok moments. As much as I usually like a long Marvel film, I feel they probably could have trimmed 20 or 30 minutes to tighten it up a bit.

It made me laugh, it made me tear up, it got me excited, especially towards the end. There’s no doubt the face of MCU movies going forward will forever be different.

I’ll be seeing it again Monday. I’d already promised my ex’s idiot kid I’d take him so I bought tickets for that showing a few weeks ago.

4. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Avengers: (Please Dear God Let This Be The End)game
    It was simultaneously surprising and yet there was nothing in it that was unexpected. It was real good, but I have basically zero desire to ever see it again.
    The genuine best part of the movie for me was the grown-ass adults in the theater that were full on sobbing at the end. It's a fucking movie about laser fights. Christ.

Commiebot and Paradox like this.
  5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I watched Avengers: Endgame and I've seen it twice.

Absolutely loved it.

6. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw Endgame on Sunday. Liked it a lot. It helped that it went places I didn't expect, and then did it again! However, it still, like all Avengers movies, ended in a big CGI battle, which was totally expected. It had epic moments, hilarious moments, sad moments, and cheesy moments, meaning it was a quintessential comic book movie. The ending did not surprise me all that much as it was somewhat indicated throughout the film, and even the MCU as a whole.

Plan to watch it again at some point.

Paradox likes this.
  7. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I viewed it again this past Monday and it was good to watch knowing what was going to happen so I could focus more on everything else. My opinion that some parts could be trimmed has softened a bit. I still feel like some cameos were shoe horned in, but I appreciated them more this time at least. It’s the culmination of 11 years worth of films, they should fit in a bunch of callbacks. And the aging and de-aging effects Marvel uses still blows me away with its realism. Spider-Man: Far From Home will the actual final film in Phase 3 so I’m definitely eager to see the fallout from Endgame and where things will go from there.