What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Well, Hellboy was a bit disappointing. Which is interesting considering since I had not seen a trailer or anything, I wasn't hyped up about it. It's okay, but nothing special. It just seems to meander from scene to scene with dialog that often felt like it should be coming from one of SyFy's B movies, just with a higher budget for better special effects (seriously, there were like twelve Visual Effects studios listed in the credits).

Then yesterday, I saw Shazam! This was a very fun movie. It had a bit of cheesiness here and there, a bit of a hokey ending, though that was offset by some very dark sequences earlier. All the actors did a great job. Though I swear, Asher Angel, the kid who played Billy Batson, often looked like a long lost twin of Maisie Williams. Definitely recommend if you like your DC films a bit more lighthearted than the earlier films in their connected universe.

Paradox likes this.
  2. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I finally got around to watching Aquaman (aka Water Thor). I really enjoyed it. It’s one of those movies where you just sit back with some popcorn and have some fun. The effects all looked great, as did Black Manta. I liked how they made the classic suit look cool and practical. I’d definitely be down for a sequel. I’m hoping Marvel gets the Namor rights untangled at some point soon; after seeing them take on all realms cosmic, mystic, and quantum, I’d like them to tackle an underwater story of their own.

3. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I snuck out for an opening day viewing of Endgame on Thursday. And man what a movie. While Infinity War was the overall more enjoyable experience, the last hour of Endgame was a must see experience. As for the first two hours, it had it’s excellent moments, and it had it’s drawn out and just ok moments. As much as I usually like a long Marvel film, I feel they probably could have trimmed 20 or 30 minutes to tighten it up a bit.

It made me laugh, it made me tear up, it got me excited, especially towards the end. There’s no doubt the face of MCU movies going forward will forever be different.

I’ll be seeing it again Monday. I’d already promised my ex’s idiot kid I’d take him so I bought tickets for that showing a few weeks ago.

4. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Avengers: (Please Dear God Let This Be The End)game
    It was simultaneously surprising and yet there was nothing in it that was unexpected. It was real good, but I have basically zero desire to ever see it again.
    The genuine best part of the movie for me was the grown-ass adults in the theater that were full on sobbing at the end. It's a fucking movie about laser fights. Christ.

Commiebot and Paradox like this.
  5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I watched Avengers: Endgame and I've seen it twice.

Absolutely loved it.

6. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw Endgame on Sunday. Liked it a lot. It helped that it went places I didn't expect, and then did it again! However, it still, like all Avengers movies, ended in a big CGI battle, which was totally expected. It had epic moments, hilarious moments, sad moments, and cheesy moments, meaning it was a quintessential comic book movie. The ending did not surprise me all that much as it was somewhat indicated throughout the film, and even the MCU as a whole.

Plan to watch it again at some point.

Paradox likes this.
  7. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I viewed it again this past Monday and it was good to watch knowing what was going to happen so I could focus more on everything else. My opinion that some parts could be trimmed has softened a bit. I still feel like some cameos were shoe horned in, but I appreciated them more this time at least. It’s the culmination of 11 years worth of films, they should fit in a bunch of callbacks. And the aging and de-aging effects Marvel uses still blows me away with its realism. Spider-Man: Far From Home will the actual final film in Phase 3 so I’m definitely eager to see the fallout from Endgame and where things will go from there.

8. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner and I saw Detective Pikachu last night.

If you've played and enjoyed the Pokemon games in the past, then you'll enjoy Detective Pikachu. A bit cheesy at times and the villain is a little bit of a let down, but it's a fun movie and Ryan Reynolds is the perfect choice to play Detective Pikachu, with great on screen chemistry with the protagonist Tim.

9. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw Detective Pikachu myself, and found it to be a fun movie, and definitely cute. I say this as someone who has never played a Pokemon game other than Go on my phone. I enjoyed it.

Saw Endgame again as well. Fun noticing a few things now and then that you miss the first time through. And frankly the "That is America's ass," line makes the entire MCU worth it for me. I don't know why, but it just hits my funny bone perfectly.

Then, despite being sick, I saw John Wick chapter 3: Parabellum (because the title needed to be longer) on Saturday. It was pretty damn good. I was at least pleased to see that it did not devolve into Keanu Reeves repeatedly performing a Judo throw followed by a double shot to the head over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, which is how the first two movies feel by the end. It still happens, just not as repeatedly. Just a really well done action film. If you like the first two, you should enjoy this too.

Paradox likes this.
  10. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw BlacKkKlansman while we still have HBO Now. It was good. An interesting mix of seriousness and comedy, that got all too real at the end of the movie. Crazy to know that this is based on a true story, but great that it makes you want to look into the real story. A bit of a slow start to the film, admittedly, but it was definitely worth the watch.

Also saw The Meg on HBO, about Jason Statham trying to kill a megalodon shark before it can wreak havoc on the ocean. Great film if you want to watch a bunch of nonsense and people getting eaten by a giant shark. Pretty crap otherwise. Luckily I fell into the former category.

And finally, last night I went with my wife to see Long Shot, the new movie with Seth Rogan and Charlize Theron. I was pleasantly surprised to find I really enjoyed it. It's not a perfect film by any means, but the leads put in solid performances, and there is little of the gross out comedy that Rogan can often be involved in. They definitely touched upon the current political climate in the US and had obvious stand ins for various political and media figures.

Paradox likes this.
  11. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I had a date yesterday and she said she hadn’t been able to catch Endgame yet. So we went and I saw it for a third time. It was pretty great to see her reactions to major things that I knew were coming. They tacked on the latest Spider-Man: Far from Home trailer after the film so it was cool to see that on the big screen.

Master_Craig and Longo_2_guns like this.
  12. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner and I watched a Netflix film the other night, 'Rim of the World'.

[​IMG]

It was... okay, I guess?

So, in my opinion, the film takes obvious inspiration from the "kids on bikes" genre (e.g. Stranger Things, the remake of It, for example). The story features four young teenagers who all attend this summer camp called "Rim of the World" and shortly after their arrival, the world is attacked by aliens. One thing leads to another, it's up to these four kids to save the planet.

Honestly, it has an interesting beginning but once the main character Alex arrives to the Rim of the World camp, the film quickly starts to fall south.

With racist writing and sexual-innuendo worthy of a Michael Bay film, Rim of the World boasts some dodgy CGI and a somewhat predictable story. Yeah, there are some entertaining aspects of the movie and it does have moments of intrigue and even some excitement, but it's no bloody surprise that this flick has such low, negative reviews. This is a cheesy one.

13. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Yeah, my wife and I watched Rim of the World a week or two ago, and it is definitely a cheesy one. It had enough entertainment value that I did not regret watching it, but I have no inclination to ever see it again.

In better news, I saw the live-action Aladdin this weekend. It was good. Not better than the original animated version, but still very well done. They added a few things here and there that overall worked out, and Will Smith did a great job as Genie considering the huge shoes he had to fill.

Paradox likes this.
  14. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I had a lazy morning of coffee and beer and hit up Netflix for Solo and The Incredibles 2.

Solo: I liked it more than I thought I would. Not as good as Rouge One, but better than The Last Jedi. Donald Glover as Lando was probably the best part about it.

The Incredibles 2: I read they waited so long for a sequel cause they wanted one that could equal the first. Mayyybe they should have waited a bit longer then. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t near as interesting as the first.

15. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

My wife and I saw Dark Phoenix this weekend, since we got cheap tickets. It was actually pretty good. Miles better than X3 was anyway, since it covers some of the same ground. Not a perfect film by any means, but the acting was good, and the story decent, if a little contrived feeling. As is becoming all too frequent with superhero movies, the villain stands out as the weak point in the film. Overall, it's worth a watch.

Paradox likes this.
  16. Master_Craig

Staff Member

[​IMG]

I saw John Wick: Chapter 3: Parabellum a few weeks ago. Ended up going by myself because no one wanted to see the movie with me (my partner isn't a big fan of Mr. Wick's adventures and other people I know had already seen it, I think I need more friends).

I really enjoyed it, but to be honest, it's probably the weakest of the trilogy so far. That doesn't mean it's no good, I love all the John Wick films and for action-fans, I highly recommended Parabellum, but if I had to pick them in order of preference, I would probably go from one, two and then three.

I'm a big fan of the action. As a judo practitioner of just over 10 years myself, I love seeing all the judo and jujitsu techniques that Keanu Reeves performs on screen. I feel like a nerd when I see particular techniques and think in my head "Harai Goshi", "Sumi Gaeshi", "Morote Seoi Nage" "Ippon Seoi Nage" etc. I think it's awesome to see such techniques performed in a realistic, albeit stylised manner.

If you're a fan of action films, John Wick: Chapter 3: Parabellum is so worth checking out.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    Paradox likes this.
  17. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I still haven’t got around to watching any of the John Wicks yet.

This new girl I met has a thing for monster and creature films so last weekend I took her to see Godzilla: King of the Monsters. It’s not a masterpiece but still an enjoyable popcorn flick. The monster effects did look amazing.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse hit Netflix so I finally got around to watching that this morning. It was a pretty amazing movie. The animation style was a bit distracting early on, but it didn’t take long to acclimate to it and realize the beauty of the amazing visuals. The voice work was top notch and I was very happy to see Miles get the starring role. I hear there’s going to be a sequel and I’ll be sure to see that one in the theater.

On a Spider-Man related note, the new girl I’m seeing is into Marvel films too and I already got us tickets to see Far From Home on Friday.

COMaestro and Longo_2_guns like this.
  18. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Finally saw Get Out this weekend, which was a rather original horror flick, in my opinion. It just let the random oddness trickle in and build up until you could really feel the tension and try to figure out exactly what the hell was going on, then it spells everything out and you are still left wondering how the movie will resolve. Since it was a Redbox rental, I wasn't able to see the alternate ending and am left curious about it. Maybe I'll be able to see it someday.

The next night we rented Mary Poppins Returns, as my wife and her brother were fans of the original growing up. To be honest, I'm not sure I ever saw it beginning to end, my attention span dedicated to animation sequences at the time and probably moved on to play with my Star Wars or Masters of the Universe toys as soon as they ended. That said, the film was enjoyable, if you like musicals. One bit went on a bit too long for my tastes, but the rest were okay, solid performances by all the actors, even the kids. Rather predictable plot though.

Paradox and Master_Craig like this.
  19. Master_Craig

Staff Member

A work colleague of mine tells me that Get Out is supposed to be good. I see it on Netflix so I might check it out.

Spider-Man: Far From Home is out now, so I might see if my partner wants to go check it out tonight, or something.

Paradox likes this.
  20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner and I watched Spider-Man: Far From Home last night.

I absolutely loved it. One of my now favourite MCU films and in my opinion, much better than Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Paradox likes this.