What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse
    It's kind of crazy that this is by far the best Spider-Man movie we've ever got. Like, by a mile. By ten miles.
    There were maybe two or three moments where I was like "Eh?" but that's about it. For the most part, it was perfect.
    4.8/5
    Amazing. Spectacular.

2. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Shows that Sony can actually make good Spider-Man movies, if they really try.

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Well it's a clear difference between Spider-Man as made by people who like and understand Spider-Man and Spider-Man made by a corporate boardroom.
    Honestly it made me extremely unexcited for Far From Home, because that's going to be another typical fun Marvel film and nothing more. It's like going to McDonalds after going to a gourmet burger place.

4. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse is such a good Spider-Man film, and it's probably the best Spider-Man story I've ever seen... aside from Insomniac Games' 2018 Spider-Man.

I haven't seen that many movies lately. I saw Wreck It Ralph 2 recently and that was pretty fun to watch.

5. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

This weekend we watched our new Blu-ray copy of Vampire Hunter D. I had the DVD already, but the visuals on the transfer were so dark, there were parts where you could not see what was happening. In comparison, the Blu-ray is beautiful!

My wife and I watched VHD and ate teriyaki on our first ever date, a little over 14 years ago now. We had originally intended to watch the new copy and have teriyaki again last week (the actual anniversary of the date), but life happens, so it got pushed back to Sunday. Still a great film. We've heard the new dub is rather crap, but we watched in the original Japanese with subtitles, so we haven't heard it yet.

We also watched Split in preparation for seeing Glass tonight. The film as a whole was just okay, but man, McAvoy deserves a damn Oscar for his performance! Knocked it out of the park on that one.

Master_Craig likes this.
  6. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I'm actually not sure what the last movie I saw at the cinema was. I think it was Aqua-Man, which was surprisingly good and fun to watch.

Fair few films coming out that I want to see over the next few months. Captain Marvel is next month, The Avengers: Endgame is in April and then John Wick: Chapter 3 is in May.

Paradox likes this.
  7. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

Definitely can’t wait for Captain Marvel and Endgame.

I had a lazy Sunday this weekend and watched two of my favorite movies, What We Do in the Shadows and Thor: Ragnarok, both from the awesome director Taika Waititi. WWEDitS is straight up hilarious and could probably watch it on repeat all day. Ragnarok is hands down the best Thor film and one of the absolute best films in the MCU.

Master_Craig likes this.
  8. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Absolutely right.

I agree about Thor: Ragnarok. It's the best of the Thor films and it's one of the best MCU films ever.

The first Thor was okay and I did enjoy Thor: The Dark World, but I felt Thor was quite a boring character in those films, as well as the Avengers. Thor: Ragnarok was a huge shift to his character and for that, I really appreciate it. Thor from Thor: Ragnarok is now one of my favourite MCU characters.

Paradox likes this.
  9. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

Yeah you’re right. Like at the very beginning where Thor is talking with Surtur. In the other two films, it would have been just Thor growling threats old English style about how he would smite Surtur yada yada. But in Ragnarok style, he’s interrupting Surtur like, hang on I’m still spinning around here and cracking jokes (that’s a crown?, I thought it was just really large eyebrows). Then he awkwardly mistimes his cue to summon Mjölnir and Immigrant Song starts playing. An amazing sequence that set the tone for the film that is definitely set apart and above the first two.

Last night I hung out and drank some beers with my dad. While drinking we watched a couple of my favorite classics, Wayne’s World and Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Both are movies I never get tired of.

10. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Going to try to get to How to Train Your Dragon 3 this weekend.

11. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw a few things recently. Went and saw The Lego Movie 2, which was a lot of fun. I think the way they progressed the human story and how it affected the Lego characters was sensible and probably the only logical way for things to go. Plenty of laugh-out-loud moments. Really enjoyed it.

Saw Isn't It Romantic with my wife. It was pretty good, very cheesy and tropey, but due to the plot of the film it kind of had to be. A nice bit of a twist at the end on the usual rom-com formula though.

Re-watched most of Bunraku with my wife as well. A very interestingly shot film, reminiscent of Sin City in some ways. Josh Hartnett plays a nameless drifter who comes into a town run by a gang led by an evil woodcutter played by Ron Perlman. At the same time, a swordless samurai played by Gackt (my wife's favorite Japanese singer) arrives looking for a particular medallion. Woody Harrelson is a bartender (imagine that) at the Horseless Horseman and provides help to the protagonists. Demi Moore and Kevin McKidd are also in it. Very stylized and fun to watch.

Last night we had a free Redbox rental and checked out the CGI How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Growing up with the Chuck Jones animation, I find it rather hard to reconcile the two portrayals of the Grinch, the Benedict Cumberbatch one being portrayed as a sympathetic character whereas the animated one was just an a-hole. Still, it was a cute movie overall, good for kids and some laughs for adults.

12. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

Captain Marvel is Awesome. Everyone should definitely do themselves a favor and go see it. There’s a pretty sizable twist near the beginning of the third act that I didn’t see coming. You’ll find yourself really liking Goose. There’s a Stan Lee tribute at the very beginning that made me tear up, and does again as I type this thinking about it. Lee has another top notch and period appropriate cameo as well. It was cool to find out how Fury lost his eye and got his scars. I don’t have any kids, but I have friends with daughters who took them to this film specifically for the woman empowering message it delivers, and it is indeed a strong positive one. Carol Danvers is a good role model here. Definitely stick around for the first mid credits scene as it’s fairly major and wait for the second one because it’s just hilarious. I’d definitely love to go see this again before it finishes its theatrical run.

Master_Craig likes this.
  13. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I would like to see Captain Marvel. Hopefully my partner and I will see it tomorrow night after dinner or something.

I would also like to see that Alita: Battle Angel. I've heard good things.

14. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

We were supposed to see Captain Marvel this past Sunday, but then our kids were sick, so we had to cancel. We have tickets for this coming Sunday and we're just hoping nothing goes wrong.