What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

We rented Tag this weekend and it was actually pretty good. A bit raunchy here and there, but overall it was very funny, and had some decent action as Jeremy Renner's character avoided being tagged. Not necessarily a movie I feel a need to own, but would happily have it on in the background anytime.

2. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Saw Venom on Friday.

It was surprisingly okay. The movie starts off quite slow (origin stories and all) but I really did enjoy the chemistry and overall relationship between Eddie Brock and Venom.

The story is overall average and some of the acting is downright bad, but I think the writing and directing had an obvious play, there.

For a standalone movie that oddly has nothing to do with Spider-Man, it's okay. I wouldn't exactly rush out to the cinema to watch it, or buy it on Blu-Ray/DVD but hey, if you see it on Netflix or something, give it a watch.

3. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I went and saw Venom. It was fun even if there was a bit too much forced comedy. And unless I missed something I didn’t see anything that could potentially exclude Venom from the MCU if they eventually decide to retroactively bring him in as part of the continuity

Longo_2_guns likes this.
  4. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Saw the new Halloween film last night. It was pretty good. They discarded all Halloween films except for the first one for the story, which was for the best. The film kept a high level of tension, and didn't rely on jump scares, though there were a few. As typical in horror films, there were some predictable moments and a few stupid decisions by characters, but overall it was a decent movie.

5. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Went to see Bohemian Rhapsody Saturday night. I really liked it! Rami Malek did a fantastic job in the role of Freddie Mercury, and the music was excellent! That said, I can see why some critics had issues with the film, as there is quite a bit of fiction throughout this film which is supposedly a biopic. Many elements are just to generate some drama and are either obviously fictional or can be proven as such with the smallest bit of research. Still, it does help the entertainment value of the film and allows the Live-Aid performance be a real climax.

But admittedly most complaints seem to be about the portrayal of Mercury. Not Malek's performance, but rather how sad and tragic Mercury is made to appear in the film. His sexuality is rather glossed over, just showing him as gay rather than the bisexual he appeared to be in real life. Still, could any two hour film truly contain a giant of a performer such as Freddie Mercury? I don't believe so. Something would have to be lost in translation, and I've heard the other members of Queen wanted themselves to be better represented in the film than earlier versions which focused more, almost solely, on Mercury, though to be honest, I didn't notice much other than some of their influences on their music. Still, less time to devote to Mercury's life and story.

As a biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody is a bit of a failure. But as a piece of entertainment, it works wonderfully.

6. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

The new Halloween was pretty awesome. It was cool to see Laurie Strode as Grambo.

I wanna see Bohemian Rhapsody but will probably wait til it hits HBO.

Tonight, my girlfriend and I watched A Quiet Place. Having a movie where the cast is mostly silent was a cool and different experience. The Grey Angels looked really awesome and freaky.

7. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

[​IMG]

Such a fun film from start to finish. Never got bored. I'd probably say that this is the best Spider-Man film I've ever seen. No wonder it currently holds a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, based on over 50 reviews.

Five out of five, ten out of ten, I don't care, go see the movie. Highly recommend.

8. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Did it release down under super early or did you get to see an advanced screening?

9. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I’ll give it a go at some point. It looks and sounds cool, but all the previews make it look like the whole thing is animated stop motion, like being watched through a strobe. Very distracting. I was hoping the actual film wasn’t like that.

This past weekend, my girlfriend and I watched Hereditary. Holy shit that was a creepy ass and great movie. Figures being from the same studio that put out VVitch

10. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I noticed that about the previews too. It was very distracting indeed. Maybe you get used to it in the full length film? Don't know, but I intend to find out.

In a bit of genre departure for me, I saw Crazy Rich Asians this past weekend. A romantic comedy, it was pretty entertaining. I never realized so much symbolism could be packed into a five minute scene of Mah Jongg. I got the running commentary from my wife about differences between the film and the book, which seemed relatively minor from what I remember. While some bits seemed more to set up a future film, the movie was well directed, had good acting, and flowed well overall.

11. Paradox

Paradox Soaring Phoenix

I watched Ready Player One off of HBO this weekend and LOVED IT. That movie is like a love letter to my childhood. I hinted around to my girlfriend that I need the 4K disc in my stocking this year.