What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I think my least favourite MCU film is probably one of the earlier ones... Captain America: The First Avenger (I found it boring), Iron Man 2 and probably The Incredible Hulk (I've heard bad things, but I've yet to see it).

The most recent-ish film I can think of that I didn't really enjoy was Avengers: Age of Ultron. I say "recent-ish" because most of the MCU films, I really like.

2. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Just watched a trailer for Ant-Man and the Wasp. It looks fun!

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I liked Captain America when it came out, but I don't think I would ever watch it again. Agreed on Iron Man 2 though. The two worst are Thor and Thor 2, which is why I was shocked at how much I liked Ragnarok.
    That said, while thinking about it more, Captain America: Winter Soldier I would absolutely label a great movie.

4. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I really enjoyed Captain America: Winter Soldier, that was great.

The first Thor movie wasn't that good but I did enjoy Thor: The Dark World.

I really liked Ragnarok because of how different it was. The humour probably helped too, because for me, it was just a "fun" film to watch that I ended up ignoring any of the film's flaws, because at the time of watching, I just didn't care.

5. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

That's funny, I enjoyed Thor quite a bit and find it to be better than Thor 2 overall. I think this is mostly because I had very low expectations for the film. My only problem with it is how quickly Thor goes from being selfish ass to caring protector of humanity. It feels like he undergoes this personality change in a matter of days. If he had been on Earth for a year or so, then I feel it would have felt authentic rather than just a plot necessity.

I feel the Captain America series of films has been the strongest overall. Even the first one I find highly enjoyable, but I like the whole pulp adventure feel it has, which may not be everyone's cup of tea. Winter Soldier is probably the best Marvel film, period. Not necessarily the most fun (Guardians 1&2 or Ragnarok take that title), or most action-packed, but just everything from plot to acting to direction, it is just damn near perfect.

I haven't disliked any of the Marvel films. While there are certainly some weaker entries, they've all been at least enough fun to where I am always up for watching any one of them.

6. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

So many people to quote!

I agree with a lot of what's been said and I can totally see where you're coming from Longo. It really wasn;t until phase 2-3 that Marvel has upped their game. Coincidentally once Whedon left. The Avengers was fun and I enjoyed it but the Russo Brothers have done so much more.

If I had a gun to my head and I had to pick my top 5 it would have to be, in no particular order:

Infinity War
    Thor Ragnarok
    Winter Soldier
    Black Panther
    GoTG Vol 1

But then with 17 other films to choose from I feel like I'm saying the rest are just average which definitely isn't the case but there were a number of mediocre sequels and missed opportunities.

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

That's a solid list there, Colin! If I had a "gun to my head" scenario, my top five would probably be:

1 (absolute favourite) - Avengers: Infinity War
    2 - Thor: Ragnarok
    3 - Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 1
    4 - Captain America: Winter Soldier
    5 - Captain America: Civil War (to be fair, this is kinda Avengers: 2.5)

There's a bunch of Marvel films that I really liked, such as Spider-Man: Homecoming, Doctor Strange, Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume etc. Sure, they've got their flaws, but to me they were all really fun to watch.

Here's an interesting one... your top five worst Marvel films? Don't get me wrong, I still mostly enjoyed watching these, but if I had to pick my worst of the bunch:

1 (absolute worst) - Iron Man 2
    2 - Thor: The Dark World
    3 - Thor
    4 - Captain America: The First Avenger
    5 - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

8. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Watched The Nice Guys on netflix. Pleasantly surprised at how good it was!

Ryan Gosling can be quite funny!

9. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

You’re not too far off my top five, Colin.

Infinity War
    Winter Soldier
    GoTG Vol 1
    Spider-Man Homecoming
    Thor Ragnarok

10. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Despite the controversy it received, I bought Star Wars: The Last Jedi on Blu-Ray recently. Hoping to watch it sometime over this long weekend.

11. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I still need to pick it up. I saw it twice and liked it both times. Kylo Ren has become the most developed villain in the series, imo.

12. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Agreed. I liked Kylo Ren. I actually liked that underneath the scary looking and sounding mask, he's this real dweeby baby-faced guy, a "boy" as Snoke (and Kratos) would say. I really like how conflicted he is. Adam Driver does an amazing job in that role.

Darth Vader (Episodes IV, V and VI as well as some of the recent comics by Marvel) is my favourite character of the Star Wars franchise, but I dare say, Kylo Ren might be my next.

13. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

I definitely need to see that one again.
    Everything Luke/Rey/Ren/Jedi related was absolutely amazing. The rest... eh.

14. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Yeah, sadly there was a lot of stupid involved in the other plot threads that could have been a lot better.

15. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I really didn't like Vice Admiral Holdo, the pink haired lady.

There's a lot of controversy around that character. The reason I don't like her is because we hardly know who she is, yet we're expected to care about her (you know, how she sacrifices herself to save the fleet or whatever). I didn't like it how this was essentially the second and next in command, a high ranking character, who just seems to come out of nowhere. I think as a character, she would have been more effective if she was introduced in The Force Awakens, with screen time.

Finn and Rose's arc was kinda silly too, but I guess that was sorta the point, when you think about it.

Kylo Renn was surprisingly my favourite character of the film.

16. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I didn't mind their side story but the more I look back on it the more it feels like a plotline shoehorned in to give them something to do. My biggest complaint is at the end of TFA Finn was clearly on the side of the good guys and decided to not run away but then they revisit that in TLJ and we go through that development all over again.

17. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

Okay, I finally saw Infinity War, and I gotta say, I kind of hate it.

Not because the movie itself is bad. No no, the movie fucking RULED. I hate it because it's part 1 of a 2 part story, and there's no way the second part could ever top it. Like, ever. It's just going to be some lame piece about how they all discover what it means to work as a team and then there's a big, meaningless fight The End.

My dream scenario is that Disney gets into a massive legal battle and has to cancel all their future movies, and the MCU ends here.
    5/5

18. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I just want to add re: Infinity War that “BRING ME THANOS” is the best line in all of the MCU

Master_Craig likes this.
  19. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Saw Infinity War again last night. Still great! :)

The thing is, the surviving group consists almost entirely of the original Avengers, who already know how to work as a team. Barring some remaining tension between Tony and Steve which needs to be dealt with, they're already a team.

I'm hoping for a big, meaningful fight in the next one, and I honestly do expect some losses from the remaining team that actually last.

20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Yesssssssssssssssssss.