What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Jason Faulkner

Jason Faulkner Senior Editor
    Staff Member

I watched this yesterday and really liked the concept. However, it seems like one of those movies that they had a really great premise and no idea how to draw it to a satisfying conclusion. I loved the creatures and the art direction, but think it might have worked better as a mini-series than a movie.

2. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

My partner and I watched Thor: Ragnaork again the other night on Blu-Ray. Goddamn, I love that movie. Easily one of my favourite Marvel films right next to Guardians of the Galaxy.

Also watched the first Avengers film last night. I still like that movie and loved it so much upon its release. It's also loads better than Age of Ultron.

3. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Last night I watched The Disaster Artist and I gotta say, I was very disappointed.
    I liked it, but it was very messy and didn't really go into anything that the book or a quick reading of the wikipedia page couldn't have told you.
    All it felt like was a bunch of people remaking The Room, which is fucking stupid.

4. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I watched that Veronica on Netflix that everyone is going on about.

It's nowhere near as terrifying as everyone says, and some of the effects are rather comical.

5. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I've seen a few movies lately. We rented Murder on the Orient Express and Coco this last weekend. Murder was pretty good, very well acted, though I feel the plot is somewhat a product of its time (old Agatha Christie novel) as information and assertions are made that seem to come out of nowhere, leaving the viewer with no possible way of deducing what happened until all the pieces are put in front of them at the end. Still enjoyed it though.

We got through about half of Coco, which was good, but we got interrupted by my wife's mother visiting for a while and then got busy with getting dinner for the kids and the disc needed to be returned that evening, so we didn't get to finish it. My wife read a plot description and we were not very surprised by the outcome. We'll see the whole thing eventually, whenever it comes to Netflix or another streaming source we have.

Saturday night we broke out our Thor: Ragnarok Blu-ray and got halfway through it before allergy meds started putting my wife to sleep, so we stopped and finished it the next morning. Such a fun movie, but I still rate GotG2 over it for last year. I feel Thor's character is becoming somewhat inconsistent between films, very silly and jokey in this one compared to all the others, whereas the Guardians feel consistent to me.

Last night my wife and I went to see A Wrinkle in Time which was okay. Well acted, which is always a concern with kid led movies, and I was especially impressed with the kid portraying Charles Wallace, who managed to be both cute or creepy, depending on what the scene required. Still, something about it just didn't really work, and it may just be being an adult viewing a film intended for children, but the plot beats seemed to be all over the place, but many just didn't feel necessary to tell the story. Again, an okay movie, but I really don't feel any urge to see it again.

We've rented a couple of movies on Vudu, the new Jumanji movie and the animated Batman: Gotham by Gaslight, so I'm looking forward to those next, plus we still need to get around to watching our copy of Spider-Man: Homecoming.

I must disagree with you on Doctor Strange. I enjoyed it immensely. I won't deny it had almost the same plot as Iron Man, but I enjoyed the characters and the representation of magic in the Marvel universe.

6. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I watched John Wick 2 again recently.

What I love about the John Wick films (and I'm sure everyone else does) is the action. What I also particularly like about it, is all the judo and Brazilian jiu-jitsu techniques being employed by Keanu Reeves. I feel like a massive nerd that I can name most of the techniques he performs, and can even perform a majority of them myself (that being said, I wouldn't be able to make it look as nearly stylish and/or effortless as Reeves does).

7. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah. Whenever I want a bloody, violent action film that doesn't feel too long I load up John Wick 1 or 2. The Raid is another strong one as is Dredd.

I really can't wait for both the tv series centered around the Continental and John Wick 3.

8. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I need to see Dredd one of these days. I hear lots of good things about it.

9. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

It's very good. I'd say it's one of the best action films of the past 10 years or so.

10. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Dredd is such an awesome movie. If you're into stylised action, then you've gotta see it.

11. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Watched the first John Wick recently. Love it, but I think I prefer John Wick 2, purely because of the action.

12. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Jumanji

If you like Hart, the Rock or Black. Then it is a great movie. My kids enjoyed it and while not the deepest movie, we laughed a lot.

13. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Heard it was kind of raunchy and inappropriate for kids?

14. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Watched the DC Animated film Batman: Gotham by Gaslight Friday night. Very loosely based upon the comic of the same name (which I own, have read, and frankly don't remember anything about, but that's more about my memory than it is about the quality of the comic), we have a Batman story taking place in the Victorian era, yet still in Gotham, rather than in England. Instead of Whitechapel, Jack the Ripper appears to be terrorizing the city of Gotham. The vigilante Batman, who only recently appeared in Gotham, is suspected of being the Ripper.

You get a lot of cameos of Batman's supporting cast, such as the three main Robins (Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, and Tim Drake) being introduced as street urchins, also Pamela Isley, Leslie Thompkins, Harvey Dent, Selina Kyle, and others. Most of them are very different than what you would expect of them, if you are a fan of the comics or the animated series.

Overall, I enjoyed it a lot. Here and there the animation suffered a little, feeling a bit choppy, but for the most part it was well done. The story was interesting, with a pretty decent twist which I just barely saw coming before it was revealed. The vocal cast all did a good job, though it's always a little jarring to me when someone other than Kevin Conroy voices Bruce Wayne/Batman, but that's just from years of acclimation.

Recommended.

15. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

There were scenes where the girl trapped in Jack Black’s body was dealing with being another gender. I allowed it based on what I have eloquently named the Goonies Rule. It was no worse than Goonies in body part talk and had less uses of the word “shit”.

Mind you, the boys are now 11 & 12.

16. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

That's a really good rule, honestly.

17. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I saw Pacific Rim: Uprising last night. I enjoyed it, and both my wife and I thought it was better than the original. I felt the main characters were better fleshed out and the battles were of a similar excitement, though maybe not quite as epic feeling as the original.

I'm amazed at how different John Boyega looks in this film compared to his role as Finn in Star Wars. The mustache does so much!

18. fotob

fotob Rookie

Saw Thor: Ragnarok this weekend too. I thought it was great! Maybe a little too much humor considering how dark things were, but when you look at who directed it, that's not surprising. Still, a great success for all involved and a ton of fun for the viewers.

19. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Saw Ready Player One and really enjoyed it. Spielberg mellowed the referential story copy pasting and built a better screenplay with a character who had character development instead of just getting better stuff. The world building in it was also much better both in not being overly expository but also that they didn’t throw every detail at you, just ones that matter.

20. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

Saw A Quiet Place with my wife on Tuesday. It was pretty good. Not sure if I'd call it horror, necessarily, but definitely suspenseful. I think they showed the creatures a little too early and feel the overall premise is a bit weak as I am pretty confident that such creatures would not be a civilization-ending threat with our level of technology, but if you just lay realism aside, it worked. Very much a thrilling film.