What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I watched that on Netflix last week with my mom and sister. The last time I saw it was on VHS. Such an awesome movie. Wish they had the first one, too.

Also watched Medicine Man this weekend. I still think it's a fantastic movie, and the soundtrack is topnotch. In fact, it's the first thing that comes to mind when I think Sean Connery.

2. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

I watched Soapdish this weekend with my wife. It's about the actors and writers of a soap opera and the antics that occur as the lead actress starts having a midlife crisis, another actress tries to get her written off in order to take the lead role, yet another girl makes her acting debut, and an actor who had been on the show is brought in to shake things up.

A good cast featuring Sally Field, Kevin Kline, Robert Downey, Jr., Elizabeth Shue and Whoopi Goldberg. Overall, a fun movie.

3. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Went and saw Logan. It was really good. Such a different style from the majority of comic movies. Not a ton of pyrotechnics or flashy special effects. The story meanders and slowly builds, reminiscent of an old Spaghetti Western. Packs a couple of real punches, misses a couple of the beats but is a really cool departure from the quippy action mold that most of the genre is aiming for. Would recommend.

4. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

[​IMG]
    Logan

It's as good as they say. If you've ever been any kind of a fan of the Marvel movie franchises you owe it to yourself to see this movie. I'm searching for a bad scene...none come to mind. Maybe I'm still lost in the afterglow but it doesn't feel like it because unlike some of the other Wolverine movies this one will only get better with time.

5 out of 5

5. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

^ Completely agree.

One of the best Marvel movies I've seen and certainly the best of the X-Men/Wolverine films I've ever seen too (perhaps even beating Days of Future Past).

Logan is incredibly intense, graphically violent, emotionally gripping and for me personally, never got boring from start to finish.

It's a good movie if you've been a movie goer to the X-Men films but if you're a fan of comic book movies, then you need to see this.

6. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I just got out of Get Out. It was amazing.

Hey, do I need to see X-Men Apocalypse before I go see Logan?

7. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

You don't.

8. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

You never have to see Xmen Apocalypse... ever....

Logan was indeed awesome. I knew it was going to be brutal with its R rating but it was the emotional punches that really did it for me.

9. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

I think I hit a personal record of movie watching this weekend, at least certainly since I've had kids.

Started out Friday evening with Pixels, which gets a hell of a lot more hate than it deserves. Is it a great movie? Hell, no. But's it's not the excrement that it is usually made out to be either. It had a decent premise, played with it a bit, took it to ridiculous levels and then ended. It's not a must see movie by any means, but it was entertaining enough.

Saturday we watched Finding Dory, hoping the kids would get into it. They didn't and preferred doing their own thing, but the movie itself was very enjoyable. I liked how they tied all of Dory's ramblings and musings from the original movie into this one.

That evening we watched X-Men Apocalypse, which was okay. It definitely went on longer than it needed to and I think with some good editing could have been cut down to two hours and not lost anything important. As a continuation to DoFP, it worked, but could have been better. I felt all the actors did a good jobs with the roles they were given though.

Lastly, saw Logan yesterday. Definitely a great movie! Brutal, heartfelt and just well done. I feel there were a couple of things that just didn't make much sense (certain decisions made by the characters, for instance), but nothing that felt totally unreasonable. I did like that you had to put a bunch of pieces of information obtained throughout the movie together to get a vision of the world and realize some of the bad things that had happened. It was subtle instead of in your face, allowing you to know more if you paid attention but focusing all the attention on the main characters. Definitely recommended.

10. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Having picked up the Bluray recently, we watched Doctor Strange Saturday evening. While it really hits all the same notes as the first Iron Man movie, I like the ending to this one better. In Iron Man, Slane suddenly becomes your stereotypical comic book villain with poor dialogue and failing to read the Overlord handbook.In Doctor Strange, Kaecilius always had a pretty straightforward motive that he never deviated from and I felt the ending to the movie was very clever rather than just a brawl that left the hero standing at the conclusion. It's become one of my favorite Marvel films.

11. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner and I watched the 2003 comic adaptation of Daredevil last night on TV, starring Ben Affleck.

Man... it hasn't aged very well.

12. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

It didn't birth very well either...

13. Master_Craig

Staff Member

14. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

I saw Beauty and the Beast. It was great even if it is just another remake. Lots of singing though so if that's not your thing then best to skip it. Great movie for a date night or family night though.

15. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I would hope most people would know what they're getting into with Beauty and the Beast

16. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

True, but with the live action Jungle Book it felt there was way less singing than in the original animated version. Beauty and the Beast feels much more like a musical.

17. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Logan

It was the best comic book movie I've seen in every regard.

18. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, almost all of the recent live action Disney adaptations have been light on the tunes. Nice to hear that Beauty and the Beast is a musical again.

19. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner and I watched The Karate Kid: Part III on TV the other night.

So full of cheese. I love the whole 80's mystical/spiritual martial arts shit.

20. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

^ Duude, I've got the whole trilogy on DVD - I fucking love those films.

I also fancy the fart out of Caruso's asian lady in the second one.