What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Not going to lie. I really enjoyed La La Land.

2. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

3. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Finally saw John Wick.

Holy crap. I loved it. One of the best action films I have seen in a long time. Such a simple, but stylized tale of revenge in a really dark, imaginative world. The fight sequences were amazing... so much judo! It's kinda sad that I could name all the judo techniques he was doing, but man it was cool.

I read online that Keanu Reeves intensely trained in judo, jujitsu, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and krav maga for four or five months before filming. Cool stuff. Can't wait for the second one, coming this February!

4. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Oops me too.

5. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Does this mean we can be gay together?

6. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

To be fair, I really want to see it.

7. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I honestly kinda loved it.

8. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Finally watched this damn movie all the way through A to B. It was really good. Up next is Goblet of Fire.

9. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

It's entertaining to go through all the movies. We seem to be watching one per weekend. Next up is The Order of the Phoenix.

10. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

3.5 out of 5.

I enjoyed it on an entertainment level despite some cliches, really obvious foreshadowing and being a little too on the nose at times. Thankfully the cast was all charismatic enough to hold it together and Antoine Fuqua definitely directs with style, if not always with substance. It's a good Sunday afternoon film or something to watch when you're in the mood for a western. If you want a little bit more nuance just watch Seven Samurai or 13 Assassins.

11. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

We watched The 'Burbs last weekend, which still holds up after all these years. A bit sad to see Carrie Fisher though with her recent passing.

The other night we put on Zootopia and managed to watch most of it with just a few child based distractions here and there. The movie is still good and entertaining on a second viewing.

12. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Watched Treasure Planet again with my partner, the other night. One of the most underrated Disney films, in my opinion.

While it's not a movie, I've been watching a lot of Rick and Morty lately. My brother recommended it to me and man, I love it.

13. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

[​IMG]
    Hidden Figures

Gave me plenty of Forrest Gump comfy feels, which is what I was hoping for, and though the civil rights issue were delivered heavy handed in parts they never kept me from enjoying an all around great movie. Full of heart with a nice serving of geeky intensity.

4.5 out of 5

14. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I was supposed to fly down south with my partner to see her family recently but unfortunately, I've fallen ill with gastro. So lots of vomiting, pooping and dehydrating.

I feel a lot better though over the past three days, so I should be clear to fly out tomorrow to join my partner. In the meantime, I've been watching a lot of Netflix.

Equilibrium - I really like this movie, but it hasn't aged very well. It's good for a lower budget kinda action flick, but there's some seriously dodgy effects when you watch it in today's day and age. Still awesome, though. Go gun kata.

Dredd (2012) - I loved this movie so much in the cinema and it still holds up very well today. I love its simple, self contained plot, the setting, the action and the soundtrack. Karl Urban does an amazing job bringing Judge Dredd to life.

Walking Tall - One of my favourite flicks of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson's filmography. It's a simple and straight forward film with a bit of humour in it.

15. Optimus-Crime

Optimus-Crime Rookie

[​IMG]
    Jack Reacher: Never Go Back
    Subtraction by addition; the love interest, Major Turner, and the daughter (forget her name) greatly diminished Cruise's bad ass loner mystique, but on the other hand both new additions performed their jobs well with the daughter putting in a solid grade A performance imo. I've become a bit of a Tom Cruise fan over the past 10 years and I'll recommend this film on that merit alone. Just wish their were more "lonely wolves" club moments like in the first Jack Reacher. But now that I think it over, I believe what I found endearing of the first Jack Reacher was how human Reacher himself comes across, something I don't see often in this genre.
    2.5 out of 5

[​IMG]
    The Accountant
    Ahhh, that's more like it. All autism, all the time. This is the definition of lone wolf, the type of deep, hardcore autism that keeps hot chicks creaming themselves, naturally. But ceremony means nothing to him. The fight is all. [SFII arcade ~ Ryu] Loved it but the writers shoot for the high spectrum of (autism?) nerdcore, which can be appreciated if you're into learning a lot about autism and math, and how sexy both can be. It's almost like watching an autism instructional video at points letting us know that autism is perfectly normal and okay. Not that it isn't, you see, but one minute he tells the hot chick he's autistic and literally the next she's all like omg your brain is so hot, because you're such a math wiz / let's fuck! Nah son, nah. Still, my type of movie. Basically, Batman admits his flaws: Rated R.
    4 out of 5

16. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Pretty good! Not as good as the first obviously, didn't think it ever would be. But nice to see the guys back again, and throughout you did wonder what was going to happen to everyone at the end.
    It is better if you've seen the first, and nostalgia does play into the film A LOT.

3.5 / 5

17. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I went with my friends to watch the Yu-Gi-Oh! animated movie. I've never watched Yu-Gi-Oh! in my life, but my partner and our friends all watched it when they were kids.

I had absolutely no idea what the hell was going on.

18. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Tonight I see John Wick 2. I will give a report tomorrow.

19. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I don't give half a dook about Yu-Gi-Oh, but the Abridged Series is one of my favorite things.

20. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw John Wick Chapter 2 last night. I enjoyed it, though I felt it went on a bit too long. You can only watch Keanu Reeves flip a person to the ground, break their arm, and take their gun to shoot two other guys before shooting the first guy in the head so many times before it just gets repetitive.

The movie picks up pretty much where the first one left off, with John wanting to get out of the business. However an old acquaintance comes by who has a marker from John and the plot starts here.

The action sequences were really good, though again there may have been a few too many of them in the long run. The plot I feel was better than the first movie, if only by a little. It does expand the underworld that John Wick inhabits quite a bit, though perhaps to a somewhat ludicrous degree.

Overall I give the movie a 3/5, with a 4.5/5 for action sequences. Definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of action films, but not sure it has staying power for repeated viewing overall. I would watch it again, but I feel it would be best as a movie running in the background while doing other things.