What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Let's just say that somewhere in the film, Darth Vader gets very well acquainted with some Rebels.

It's not quite what you're asking... but as a Vader fan, I immensely enjoyed it. I hope you find it exquisite, as I did.

2. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Star Wars: Rogue One or whatever it's called.

To be quite honest, I liked it more than the Force Awakens.
    It was a war movie, to be sure, but it felt like classic Star Wars without feeling like a carbon copy of Star Wars.

3. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Disney's Moana.

It was quite good, I really enjoyed it. Wasn't expecting so much singing though but I guess Disney are returning to that thing.

4. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I enjoyed Moana but it felt like it was lacking in parts. And I didn't really care for the crab villian. Like part of him seemed evil and creepy and the other part flamboyant and comical which I didn't care for. I also felt like it didn't deliver in any areas it tried to - whether it was character growth, action sequences (save for the pirate scene) or anything else. Like...It was on the precipice of greatness but then fell short.

My daughter loved it though!

i'd still give it a solid 4 out of 5.

5. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Very fair to say. I agree with your points and your score.

6. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Dude. Go back and watch any musical based Disney and you'll notice they take big leaps to cover story. Plus it's a kids movie and still leaps ahead movies like Minions and Secret Life of Pets. Those are the directors by the way that made Alladin, Mermaid and Mouse Detective. This is probably my favorite of the three most recent princess musicals because the pieces were show tune-y, which is what makes the Alladin, Mermaid and Beauty pieces so memorable.

Saw Rogue with the boys. Chirrut and K2 stole that show for me. It felt like a Star Wars movie that didn't get caught up trying to be overly accessible like 1-3 and 7.

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My favourite uh, "princess Disney" movie as you put it Bret, would have to be Tangled. Love the crap out of that movie.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Rogue One. Completely agree with you too, Chirrut and K2 were the best characters.

8. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm assuming that was in response to what I had said? I liked it. I really liked it. And it is worlds better than the ones you mentioned. But I'm not comparing it to them. Kids movie or not, it felt like it didn't know what direction it wanted to go in or like it was just missing the oomph of movies like Inside Out or Kubo & The Two Strings. Yeah I got a little choked up at the scenes with the grandmother but overall it just didn't hit me the same as other animated films have recently you know? Plus I don't have as much love for Lin-Manuel Miranda as some other people and I found the songs to be somewhat undercooked or very reminiscent of stuff I've heard elsewhere.

9. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

The 90s 2000s saw Disney try and chase the male market with Alladin, Lion King, Emperor and other male led movies. The Princess line has been their fallback and more likely audience finder. Their failure led to Pixar and Marvel purchases as they never quite landed the mark.

10. Sourdeez

Sourdeez Rookie

The Blair Witch

Terrible. Don't watch it. I actually feel bad that they ruined it so hard.

11. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Assassin's Creed

Now, I might be the only one on the planet who has seen this film, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong, it was terrible. Horrible. One of the dumbest movies I've ever seen.

But it was so enjoyably bad that I couldn't help but like it. Nothing about this film was any good, to the point where I am amazed that it even exists.

10/10 would recommend.

12. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner is a massive Harry Potter fan, so the other day we ended up buying all of the Harry Potter movies on Blu-Ray.

Watched the first one, the Philosopher's Stone. Still a pretty good flick. We'll be watching Chamber of Secrets later this weekend.

13. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

That sounds really fun. I haven't seen most of those films since originally seeing them in the theater.

14. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I don't remember them very well, so when we watch 'em, it's almost like watching it for the first time.

The only Harry Potter film I haven't actually seen at all is the third one, the Prisoner of Azkaban.

15. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

I saw Star Wars Rogue One last night and I really enjoyed it. Definitely different than the usual SW fare. There were a few things I didn't care for but they were few and relatively minor.

16. yorky

yorky Regular

The Chamber of Secrets has always been my favorite Harry Potter film, even though it seems to have been panned by critics as the worst one. I just love the mystery of it all...

17. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I saw Rogue One on Tuesday. I'll have to post when I get home about my thoughts. Overall, I enjoyed it and likely will see it again.

18. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

I was rather disappointed with Chamber of Secrets since I had read the book first. There were so many more potential suspects in the book that the movie didn't bother including. I understand that some things need to be sacrificed to fit within the confines of a film, but maybe they could have fleshed out the story rather than giving us a ridiculous five minute action sequence with the flying car and the Hogwart's Express.

I had the same issue with Goblet of Fire and the Dragon sequence that went on much longer than it needed to.

19. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I'm whiting out the spoilers for my thoughts on Rogue One
    SPOILERS
    I enjoyed Rogue One, it was nice to see a Star Wars film outside of political arguments and lightsaber fighting. I was under the impression by the looking at the trailers this would fall around the same time as Star Wars: Rebels, but I found it was the prologue for A New Hope.

I'm the kind of person who wants more information about certain characters such as
    CHIRRUT ÃŽMWE. It was hilarious seeing him get a sack over his head. Looking at his stick with little time to see, it looked the ending of it was a lightsaber hilt of some sort. I know he's force sensitive, but could it be possible he had a lightsaber and it malfunctioned somewhere? There aren't many jedi's around. Palpatine was hunting them down and a jedi temple was shown in the film, though I forget which scene it was. I'll have to watch again.

I'm also that guy that needs a confirm body kill. Jyn, Cassian, even Saw could have survived somehow.

I did enjoy the appearances of known Star Wars characters. Seeing Bail Organa, and Mon Mothma makes senses. I was kinda hoping there would be more Leia, since she helped out in Star Wars: Rebels before. Darth Vader, seeing him in a bacta tank before being back in his suit shows that suit kept him alive and he's still recovering from fight Obi-wan. When it showed him fighting the rebels, it truthfully reminded me of him in the recent Star Wars: Battlefront.

20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I watched John Wick for the first time the other night.

Holy hell. One of the best action movies I've seen in a long time. The fight choreography was amazing.

I saw so many judo techniques being used in that film, including some of the ground work/strangulation. Awesome stuff!