What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

Wanted to put that all in my sig, but it doesn't fit.

2. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Your signature is pretty sweet, anyway. ;)

3. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

Changed it anyway.

[​IMG]

A classic. Timeless, even. It's so funny and charming.

4. StudioTan

StudioTan Regular

Ah, Raul Julia. Also known for his stellar performance in "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank." Fantastic movie.

5. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Nobody has seen Dr. Strange yet? I loved it. The effects felt like Inception on steroids.

6. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

I really enjoyed it. It went by really quick! I enjoyed the various teachers he had throughout the film.

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I saw Doctor Strange too. Loved it. My favourite Marvel movie aside from Guardians of the Galaxy and Civil War.

8. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

I didn't know what was going on in Dr. Strange half of the time, other than Magic being real and Benedict Cumberbatch giving us the Hugh Laurie american Accent.

I liked the movie and it's ending though, I thought it was a brilliant way to solve what seems like an impossible problem.

9. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 Hey kiddo!

Took the boys to see Fantastic Beasts and thought hat it was awesome. Absolutely loved the muggle character.

10. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw Doctor Strange last weekend. I really enjoyed it, though like Thor, I felt the character needed a bit more development time for his personality to shift as it did.

11. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them.

I really enjoyed it. My partner is a massive Harry Potter fan (knowing all the back stories and lore), so she absolutely loved it. I thought it was pretty great.

12. StudioTan

StudioTan Regular

[​IMG]

"In a Valley of Violence" stars Ethan Hawke and John Travolta. This is a Ti West film; he also directed "The Innkeepers," a horror/suspense movie that I thoroughly enjoyed. West is only 36, but directs like a seasoned veteran. He is certainly a lover of cinema and has great taste, as it shows in his movies. The pacing and cinematography are excellent, but the way he wraps up his films is his strong-point. Neither this movie or "Innkeepers" has a concrete conclusion; no lengthy monologue or anything. Both movies ended in a similar way: a character looking over the aftermath with little to no dialogue. I like to think this character is the audience member, who is certainly pondering his/her own conclusions. I think this provides a bit of intimacy with the audience since it allows for speculation; they, in a sense, can make it their own movie. At the very least, it makes for some interesting discussion if you're watching with someone. I look forward to seeing more movies by Ti West.

5/5

13. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Watched (most of) White Christmas with my wife this weekend after getting back from our trip to Hell...I mean, California to visit my parents. It's interesting watching movies from such an older era. Some day I'd like to see Holiday Inn, but it never seems to be free on Netflix or Amazon.

14. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I got home from judo last night and my partner had just started watching the 2009 CGI adaptation of Astro Boy, so I sat down to watch it with her.

It was alright. The graphics and animation were nice (for its time, it's a seven year old film) but the story seemed really clumsy.

15. StudioTan

StudioTan Regular

I just noticed "The Wailing" is now on Netflix. I highly recommend it.

16. Master_Craig

Staff Member

The Last Samurai was on TV last night, which is why I'm stupidly tired this morning.

I don't like Tom Cruise, but I really like this movie.

What I found impressive is the Japanese actor who portrayed Katsumoto (the leader of the Samurai) didn't actually speak any English before filming, but his character was required to speak English... a lot of it, too.

17. FrozenBacon

FrozenBacon Veteran

I watched Nightcrawler recently. Many people like to cringe at the main character, but I admire his ambition and drive.

18. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

[​IMG]

I've been looking forward to this movie all year. I really enjoyed it. As a stand alone Star Wars film, it was really good, probably the darkest and most "realistic" Star Wars film I've seen, certainly the most violent..

It was difficult to remember who all the characters were, some are more memorable than others. My favourite characters were probably Donnie Yen (I dunno his character name) and the Droid, K-2.

It's difficult to compare to The Force Awakens. To me, Rogue One feels more like a war movie (because it pretty much is) while The Force Awakens feels more fantasy.

4 / 5, highly recommend, even if you're not a Star Wars fan. You can watch this movie without the others.

19. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Without giving too much away please tell me that there is not only a scene of Vader vs Rebels but one where he's stalking them down as they try to escape, almost akin to the Alien in...well Alien, killing people off one by one.

20. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

We randomly threw on Gods of Egypt last night as we wrapped presents. I was focused more on the wrapping, but I did listen to most of the film and watched sections of it. It's not as bad as I had heard, but not sure if it's something I feel any real need to watch from beginning to end. Some of the special effects were pretty good while other CGI looked really dated, which felt pretty jarring.