What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

[​IMG]

I saw The Secret Life of Pets
    [​IMG]
    3/5

All animals were well voiced, but Kevin Hart as the bunny was a bit much.. Either way - Entertaining and fun. If you have kids, 4/5. Its a fun movie that parents can take their kids to and enjoy - no "adult joke" moments like in shrek, but you won't be bored and its pretty heart warming and a funny take on the personalities of your

2. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Urban I'm curious - Have you seen the new Ghostbusters?

I saw it a 2nd time and would change my rating to a 4 out of 5. The 3rd quarter wasn't as strong as the rest of the film.

3. xXJudyXx

xXJudyXx Regular

I'm wondering if I should go see Finding Dory. Apparently it killed all my friends souls, but said friends also cried during transformers. If anyone has seen, allow me to read your thoughts!

4. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Hey Judy! So happy you put in a random appearance!

Finding Dory is awesome. It's really not all that sad. I mean...Not compared to Up or Inside Out anyways. It's worth a watch.

5. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually just saw Finding Dory, and oh my god it was the cutest movie Pixar has ever made.

This might be it. It might be their Magnum Opus.

That said, I have three problems with the film. Extremely minor spoilers, but I whited them out.

1) The movie supposedly takes place in Morro Bay. Except the water in Morro Bay is cold AS FUCK and any tropical fish that went there would fucking die.

2) The aquarium featured is not at all similar to the aquarium in Morro Bay. Morro Bay's aquarium is like 200 square feet and has nothing but sea lions you can feed and an octopus. The aquarium in Finding Dory is based off the Monterey Bay Aquarium, which is one hundred miles north (which is where they filmed Star Trek IV). That said, everything in the Monterey Bay Aquarium is indoors because...

3) It was depicted as sunny and warm. The California coast is never sunny and warm. Morro Bay is cold and gray 360 out of 365 days a year.

Overall, unrealistic movie, 2/10, unsubscribed.

6. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

I'm actually seeing Finding Dory tonight!

Pixar might be running out of ideas but hey as long as their sequels to 10 year+ movies are still fun and hilarious it beats going to see a shitty 80's remake/reboot nobody asked for.

7. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Finding Dory is a great movie. It is a total feels fest, though. I got teary eyed at one particular scene, which shall not be revealed. I will save that for your own teary eyes.

8. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Watched Disney Pixar's Ratatouille on the weekend on Netflix.

It's not my favourite Disney/Pixar movie, but it's still enjoyable.

9. UrbanMasque

UrbanMasque Everyone Wears a Mask

No, thats a straight to DVD/Netflix view for me. A 4.5/5 though? Had you seen the original? It had that much cult or cultural significance to you?

10. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I ended up adjusting my rating and lowered it to a 4. One thing worth noting is that when I rate films in this thread it's based purely on a scale of enjoyment, not necessarily looking at it through a completely critical lens.

The original was definitely a staple of my childhood and to this day it holds up quite well. I certainly don't feel it's one of the greatest movies of all time like some people do but definitely one of the best comedies.

11. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Forgot to mention Finding Dory was awesome. Always bet on Pixar, unless it's Cars. Fuck Cars. So go see it Judy.

...Judy???

[​IMG]

12. Commiebot

Commiebot Novice

Went and saw Star Trek Beyond last Friday in IMAX. A solid 8/10 for me, a few issues overall but it paces itself well so that you're brought along for the ride. I cheered at the big setpiece space battle at the end, completely forgetting to be cynical about it.

The worst lingering element is realizing in this new timeline, the only canon TV show is Enterprise.

13. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Since The Suicide Squad is out this Thursday, my partner and I watched Batman: Assault on Arkham on Blu-Ray this weekend. For those who don't know, it's an animated film from DC Comics and Warner Bros. and it's about the Suicide Squad, set in the Arkhamverse, I believe.

It was really good. I really enjoyed it. I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10. Looking forward to the live action Suicide Squad.

14. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

I watched Batman: The Killing Joke Many people complained half the film was about Barbara Gordon as Batgirl, which it is, but I felt it was sort of needed since we know she becomes Oracle. The Killing Joke was a nice short graphic novel and I feel even shorter animated. Glad Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamil and Tara Strong voiced their characters for this. It's R Rated, but I feel that rating is pretty high.

3.5/5

15. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Saw the Killing Joke in the theater last Monday. I'd agree with Ugh's rating. I understand they needed to stretch out the runtime and I appreciate they were trying to make Barbara more than the "woman in the refrigerator" but the beginning just felt a little too detached from the actual Killing Joke story. I guess they did what they did to establish a greater connection between Barbara and Batman for non-comic readers, but I know it really pissed off a lot of fans. Oh well, can't please everybody.

The voice acting was great, as to be expected from this cast, and the animation was good. Recommended for Batman fans, just think of it as something that is outside of comic continuity.

This past weekend I watched an old movie called The Wraith. One of Charlie Sheen's earlier films about a guy who is murdered by a racing gang because the leader is obsessed with his girlfriend, who then comes back as a wraith to exact vengeance and get his girl back. It's a cheesy 80's flick, the story isn't all that good, the acting is okay, but overall it is enjoyable. I liked it a lot as a kid, which may let me rate it a bit higher due to nostalgia, but even my wife agreed it wasn't a bad movie. It's just not one we would want to pay for. 3/5

16. Colin_B

Colin_B Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I saw the preview and it looks appropriately bad. I might have to check this one out!

The last movie I saw was...

[​IMG]

3 out of 5

It was a decent enough diversion that could have been funnier and suffered from an ending that fell flat with the jokes. Not bad, not great, just...Kind of funny and okay.

17. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Suicide Squad
    There was an over reliance on its soundtrack (what's it called when they play actual music instead of score? Because this is the furthest that could go.) and some strange chaotic moments in it. But all in all, I enjoyed it. It was fun.

B-

18. used44

used44 Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Guys with kids, the first half of Netflix's "The Little Prince" adaptation is great and the second half is garbage. It's really an alarming shift midway through. Still worth checking out.

19. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Suicide Squad.

I really enjoyed it. As Longo_2_guns already said, the movie did rely a bit too much on its soundtrack. Regarding the soundtrack, it felt like they were trying to pull a Guardians of the Galaxy move.

Still... the movie was a lot of fun. It's got good action, good humour, and a nice, simple story to follow that's entertaining from start to finish, especially if you're a DC fan. This movie is such a redeeming film over the mess that was Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

20. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

I also really liked Suicide Squad and Craig is so right; it's refreshing to see a fun and exciting DC movie after Yawn of justice and Man of Feels.

And yeah I agree with Longo too where the soundtrack felt a little too on the noise and was filled with songs we've all heard a million times. Regardless the soundtrack was full of songs I know and love so it was all good.

I really liked Jared Leto's Joker. Heath Ledger is still above and beyond in his portrayal but Leto's Joker fits this DC universe they're setting up. The Joker was really only used to help develop Harley Quinn which is what I wanted since we all know Mr. J well enough by now and it was time for Harley to make her debut.

Only complaint I really had was there was little to no character development for most of the group. Deadshot and Harley Quinn steal the show and their chemistry was perfect. El Diablo was also given a fair amount of screen time. But the rest were kind of just there. Like I said you get the comradery and desire for redemption with the three I mentioned but the rest feel like their turning points were edited out and instead of feeling progressive, their commitment to the team just feels forced. For example the character Katana is someone we know nothing about and towards the end we get a glimpse of her tragedy but it isn't enough to make us care whether she lIves or dies.

Still a great movie though, I disagree with the awful 20-something percent at Rotten tomatoes. Dunno why it's getting so much hate besides lack of character development for a few team members. Maybe I just haven't seen a movie in a long time and also went in with mediocre expectations due to the previous DCEU movie.