What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

Saw Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice last night.

I'll give it a... 2.5, or a 3 tops out of 5.

Visually, it had a lot of cool, crazy special effects. Some effects did look a bit funny but for the most part, it looked really good. Ben Affleck was fantastic as Bruce Wayne / Batman and the other characters such as Alfred, Lex Luthor, Wonder Woman and Lois Lane were all well casted and played. The weakest link however, was Henry Cavil as Clark Kent / Superman. To me, he was incredibly wooden.

The film is quite long, it's about 150 minutes in length or so. The pacing is very strange. Some parts of the movie are honestly painfully slow. The whole movie feels really messy. I also think the trailers were badly made and the second trailer in particular, which reveals the film's final fight, was a very poor decision. They should have kept that one a surprise.

So the movie is long and it's pacing is quite slow, but to me, the movie actually felt rushed. Dawn of Justice is a fairly fun, entertaining movie but ultimately it was disappointing, it didn't live up to the hype. I think you will enjoy it more if you go in with low expectations.

Captain America: Civil War is going to be a lot better.

2. madster111

madster111 Rookie

I finally figured out what was wrong with batman vs superman.

Half of it feels like a 1-off, self contained story while the other half feels like the setup for the justice league, so you end up with this very, very strange combination of the 2.

It needs a 'directors cut' not done by the director. It needs somebody to make a cut that's more focused, throw half the shit on the floor and use whatever other scenes they can.
    First thing to go is the theater scene with bruce waynes parents. We've seen it 1000 times before, everybody knows batmans backstory, they could have saved a few million by not bothering with that shit. Then we get the scene with superman up in the mountains tripping balls, wasting 5 minutes, that can piss off too.
    Maybe an explanation, at all, of what the everloving hell the thing in the final fight was.

There's a great movie in there somewhere, it was just cut together by a fucking mad man.

Now speaking of the future, Jason Momoa as Aquaman looks straight up incredible.

3. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Batman VS Superman sitting at a 30% at Rotten Tomatoes. Yikes. Glad I didn't rush out to see this.

4. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Yup. Not a good look.

5. C_nate

C_nate Rookie

Got around to watching Jurassic World finally. I didn't go in with high expectations, but it was much dumber than I thought it was going to be. I could go in to all the nitpicky bullshit that I had problems with but it isn't worth the effort and besides, I get it... Stupid people have to do stupid things stupidly so other stupid things can happen that allows you to have a big stupid disaster movie.

But the one thing that bothered me the most is that (unless I totally missed it) they didn't even try to come up with a bullshit excuse for how the park would ever be allowed open to the public again after the events that occurred in the original Jurassic Park (Which I think is still far superior compared to this film.) Either everyone in the park signed a waiver saying that potential sudden and unpredictable death by dinosaurs is cool with them or everyone is that world is completely oblivious and delusional to how insanely hazardous that park was set up.

2/5

6. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Gonna see Dawn of Justice tomorrow anyway (cheap Tuesday). I was looking forward to hearing from Ugh (GR's biggest Batman fan) and Urbz (GR's biggest Snyder fan).

7. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Apparently as part of Ben Affleck's contract, he's set to appear in a stand alone Batman film in which he will be a director as well as one of the writers. Considering how he did a great job as Batman in Batman V Superman and that he's a huge nerd, I reckon that'll be an awesome movie.

Also... apparently, there will be a "directors cut" of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice. Supposedly, about 40 minutes worth of footage was cut and dropped onto the floor as the film was exceeding an already lengthy time. It's also been said that the footage removed was all done towards the end of the film, as in, when the film was nearly ready for release.

If that's the case, well... makes sense to me.

8. Master_Craig

Staff Member

My partner and I watched Zootopia again over the weekend. We went with a couple of friends who haven't seen the movie yet.

Second time I've seen it and I still really enjoyed it.

9. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina Rookie

So I saw Batman V Superman.

I quite liked it. A lot actually. Only real complaint is it's a bit too long and frankly, the editing was kind of all over the place.

But overall better than some of the Marvel movies.

10. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Batman VS Superman was.... not good. I went into this movie with low expectations and usually that's a good thing but it really is as bad as critics are saying.

It's not a total mess however and some of it works. Ben Affleck has Batman totally works, in fact it's the only thing in the movie that really does work. Which is great because of the Internet meltdown when it was announced Ben Affleck was going to be Batman . Maybe now the internet will calm the fuck down when actors are cast to play superheroes.

The movie is definitely way too overbloated and feels like 5 movies in 1. If you thought Watchmen was too stuffed then you're not gonna like this. I agree with Craig that the pacing of this film suffers greatly because of how much they tried to fit in.

And Jessie Eisenberg as Luthor was pretty bad. This was telling in the trailers so if you didn't like Eisenberg in the trailers you won't like him here.

I think I'll make a spoiler thread just cause.

11. CaptainBarner

CaptainBarner Rookie

Good friend, bad friend - a movie of Thailand

12. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Last night my partner and I watched the 2011 film Bad Teacher, starring Cameron Diaz.

[​IMG]

Didn't watch the whole thing, just most of it. It was okay I guess, some funny parts but really I felt like it was just a shock value kinda comedy.

13. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Batman v Superman

I... really liked it. A surprising amount. As someone who hated Man of Steel, I was quite content with the majority of the film. Lex was awful, but his role in the film was good.

I agree that it felt like a lot of set up, and I agree that it had pacing issues. That said, I don't think it was bad at all. I agree with Madster that this could have been a much better movie if the director wasn't a crazy person, but just about every scene that didn't have Lois or Lex in it made me happy.

I give it... a B+

Not perfect, but I liked it a lot. Honestly, after so many comic book movies that were just action-comedies with zero tension (cough cough every fucking movie since Iron Man) I was happy to be smiling without laughing.

14. De-Ting

De-Ting Rookie

I watched the Bean movie on a whim a few days ago. Now I've watched it 3 times since. Easily one of my favorites. His speech about the painting is my favorite part.

15. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

After I got home from judo training, my partner and I watched this movie on TV while having dinner. The last time I saw this film was fourteen years ago, when I was twelve.

I understand it's supposed to be "stupid humour" but Goddamn, some parts are just painfully stupid. Still funny in some areas though. The part where Will Farrell falls off the cliff is still funny.

16. Master_Craig

Staff Member

[​IMG]

Saw the new, live action adaption of The Jungle Book last night. It's actually really good, I was pleasantly surprised and quite impressed. The CGI on the animals is incredible.

17. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

Got around to seeing Batman v Superman this weekend. I found it to be okay. Not great by any means, but certainly better than some other movies that get made. I don't think it in any way deserves a 30%, but a 60-70% would be fair.

There is absolutely no reason, though, that the movie should have been as long as it was. There was so much that could have been cut out without really hurting the movie and actually probably would have helped it flow better, especially the dream sequences.

18. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I bought a blu-ray copy of Star Wars: The Force Awakens yesterday. Might watch it this Friday night after drawing up this week's GR Strips. :)

19. COMaestro

COMaestro Veteran

My wife surprised me with a copy yesterday. Hope I can get around to watching it sometime this weekend.

20. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Gonna watch Star Wars: The Force Awakens this weekend on Blu-Ray. I'm really looking forward to seeing this film again, especially with the deleted scenes and bonus content.