What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by GRColin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I've noticed the Internet has really been complaining about the Avengers: Age of Ultron lately. First it was for Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner calling the Black Widow character a "slut" (jokingly, however I can see how people may take offence to this) then next people were getting upset about Joss Whedon's portrayal of Black Widow. He quit Twitter recently because of fan black lash (death threats and so on).

Still, it's nice to see someone complain about the movie for completely different reasons... like how helicarriers are completely unrealistic. ;)

2. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Joss said that he just needed to quit because he needed done silence and that wasn't the reason, but at the same time he said it was really the first time people had been criticizing him in such great numbers. So who knows what the truth is.

The Jeremy Renner thing, though. That whole thing played out perfectly. Chris gave the perfect Captain America response of "I'm sorry to everyone that I offended and will do nothing like it again" and Jeremy gave the perfect Hawkeye response of "I'm sorry that you were offended."

Jeremy Renner is a bad mother fucker.

3. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Haha, yeah I loved the response of both Chris Evans and Jeremy Renner. Chris Evans apologized formally and politely, where as Jeremy Renner was like "I'm sorry but I'm not sorry".

Frickin' Hawkeye.

As for Joss Whedon, I feel for him. It's not fair honestly. He is a talented writer and he's obviously very passionate about what he does, but unfortunately for him, fans of stuff (like the Avengers in this instance) can be very angry people. I know it's essentially "the norm" for people to get crazy angry on the Internet about stuff, but it shouldn't be the norm, it's unacceptable. Unfortunately nothing can really be done about it.

I agree with James Gunn (writer and director of Guardians of the Galaxy), it's honestly not a normal or healthy thing when someone says to another person (even if it's a Tweet on the Internet) that they want to curb stomp their head into the ground, especially since it's over a movie and fictional character.

4. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Wait, why do so many people hate Age of Ultron?

5. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

this article gives you the basic jist of some of the biggest backlash, now just image that multiplied by the Twitter and tumblr trolls.

I actually liked Black Widow in Ultron though. I liked how she had her origin story rather than some piece of ass in a tight suit like all the previous movies. I guess that makes me some anti-femininist. /shrug.

6. Master_Craig

Staff Member

I agree. I liked Black Widow in Age of Ultron as well.

I totally misinterpreted her quote, "You're not the only monster on the team". When she said this, I thought she was talking about herself and her past, and the things she has done back in Russia and in her work for S.H.I.E.L.D, as she was an assassin/spy, but as the article says, it goes a lot deeper than that.

7. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Does it? Frankly, people are getting super offended about jokes. Prima nocta was mentioned on the Office three years ago and no one got in a huff.

8. Gunner37

Gunner37 Rookie

I greatly enjoyed the new avengers but i think the first one was still better but was still worth every penny.

9. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Well... apparently. :/

10. GRColin

GRColin Rookie

Yeah I took it as her saying she's a monster because she was made to be sterile. Which is a kind of messed up thing to imply.

Anyways.

I have two questions that are likely silly ones. Keep in mind I was drunk, tired and half asleep when I saw the movie so a couple of things went over my head. You know you're in rough shape when a Joss Whedon superhero flick goes over your head in some parts.

1. Did the original team disband? Why were we introduced to the B-Team as the Avengers at the end? If so, why did they disband? Did I miss something?

2. Why were they all together Avenging at the beginning? I was hoping for some awesome reunion scene or build up. Every previous movie, they took on bigger threats than mercs with guns on their own but in this one, the team is already fully assembled and doing their thing. Not something that went over my head I guess. More like an observation.

I also felt like their abilities were slighted. When Stark was talking about they're good for regular bad guys vbut aren't powerful enough for anything out of the ordinary I felt like that was contradicting everything we witnessed in the first movie where they successfully defended earth from the Chitarui. To have Stark make those comments makes them seem a lot less amazing.

11. Master_Craig

Staff Member

When you put it that way, it is kinda messed up yeah. :/

Yeah the original team disbanded, but I suspect they will all return and reunite in the next Avengers movie, The Infinity War Part 1. Thor left because he went to return to Asgard to investigate the forces he suspects may have manipulated recent events, Hawkeye resigned to go back home to his family and Stark left because, well... I have no idea, I guess he probably just wanted to resign himself.

As for the B-Team, I think that's to show the audience that the Avengers changes over time, as in the comics the Avengers has multiple members. The new members make sense... the Vision because they essentially just "recruited" him so to speak, Falcon would be because of Captain America's influence and as for Scarlett Witch, she helped them in the final fight and unfortunately she wouldn't have anywhere else to go, plus she was probably offered a spot on the Avengers for her help.

They were all together Avenging because they were taking on Hydra, as somehow Hydra had gotten a hold of Loki's sceptre and were using it to experiment on people (hence the results of Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver). I guess to be fair, we got our awesome reunion scene at Stark's party after the mission... I loved the party scene, reminded me of The Citadel DLC from Mass Effect 3.

I think you're right, that is a bit contradicting. The Avengers successfully defending Earth from the Chitarui in the first movie as you mentioned, and Earth's mightiest heroes have essentially the very best and most powerful people in its group. I mean... they've got some big hitters like Hulk (who is the Goddamn Hulk), Thor (a bloody demigod) and Iron Man (a one man tank of an army), so I don't know what Stark is talking about there? :/

12. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

I think they're worried because the twins are super like them. There is a lot of guess work in knowing your enemies capabilities and whether they are willing to kill.

Honestly, there is a dark place that people go when bad things happen to them, by their own or others' fault. To feel regret for choosing to sterelize yourself for Mother Russia, I imagine would make you feel like a monster. On some level. I disagree that it is a blanket statement on anyone incapable of reproducing.

13. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Yeah, i really don't see what people problem with black widow is.
    She never had the chance for a normal life, now she regrets having not having it.

Didn't see people bitch about captain america doing the same thing in the one with the slightly less bullshit mini-hellicarriers

No but seriously though, do you guys know how fast those blades would need to be spinning to keep that shit in the air? All the stealth coatings in the world don't help if they can hear you 500mi away

14. Bretimus_v2

Bretimus_v2 So tired.

Faster than Thor's hammer has to spin to make him fly, I bet.

15. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah, but....just how fast does mjolnir have to spin??

16. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Thor flying with the hammer is literally more realistic.
    He would weigh, at worst, 300lbs. Mjolnir is about 30" long, and he's the god of thunder so let's assume he's able to project some form of physical shield to turn that length into something resembling a propeller.
    You'd only need a little over 10000rpm, or around 1000hp to lift off at a good rate.

Hence why i also have little problem with iron man, you can buy off the shelf jet engines today which, strapped to each limp, would provide a 1:1 thrust to weight for a normal sized man.

Those fucking carrier though man, they have 2 decks and are actually slightly larger than a nimitz. I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt and basing my calculations on them being substantially lighter when they would, at best, be a tiny bit lighter.
    Each of those propellers would need to go far beyond the speed of sound. To understand what that means, allow me to copy paste off the wiki article for the X-84 thunderscreech "The shock wave was actually powerful enough to knock a man down; an unfortunate crew chief who was inside a nearby C-47 was severely incapacitated during a 30-minute ground run"
    Now imagine that, except at twice the speed, times by four to account for each corner and then enlarged by a factor of about 8 times bigger than the thunderscreech, each.
    The people on the decks in line with the blades would die every time it had to lift.

17. WickedLiquid

WickedLiquid Regular

Madster, do go know the calculations to make a vibranium shield?

18. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Also, Thor doesn't fly by spinning his hammer. He flies by throwing it very hard and holding on to it.

So there's that.

19. Master_Craig

Staff Member

Two words.

Magic hammer.

20. madster111

madster111 Rookie

Dig out of ground, alloy with iron, melt into shield shape, paint.
    Wait for the bonds to be filled with energy and it to crack, attempt to recreate

It's basically a combination of nitinol and mangalloy, cranked up to 11 and turned into a single alloy-able metal. If you read it's comic book uses page, it's literally 'general-purpose-unobtanium-#1' and can be used as basic armor all the way up to a fucking force field by radiated humans. Going by the movies, it's just an extremely good metal. Could theoretically recreate something similar, if heavier, with various alloys in layers combined with various sound deadening coatings and glues.

That sounds exceedingly painful