What the hell is up with Assassin's Creed?

TheNesMan

Rookie
Honestly, it's getting either 9/10s or 7/10s. What the hell is making each reviewer's perception of the game so drastically different? Gamespot has been pretty hard markers recently and they gave it a 9 yet IGN, who can't count below 7 mind you, gave it a 7.7. It makes no sense to me.

Linkage to gamerankings http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/930278.asp

I've actually noticed that the people over at IGN assign games not because the reviewer is familiar with the genre and will give a good review based on the audience it was intended for, but simply because they need someone to do it.

Gamespot seems a little more down to Earth, personally.

Check out this Penny Arcade newspost. Scroll down to the part where Gabe talks about Assassin's Creed and the undeserved low scores it has been receiving.

In part:
Gabe said:
Imagine what an open ended sandbox title must look like to a reviewer especially right now. How many games do they have piling up on their desks? A game like Assassins creed isn't meant to be played under a deadline. You shouldn't be trying to beat it as fast as you can so you can move on to Mass Effect or Mario Galaxy. As soon as I gave myself a deadline all of a sudden I understood all their complaints. It was like a fucking Escher painting. I had put myself in their shoes and suddenly the landscape flipped and I could see games from their perspective. In the end I wasn't angry at them for their bad reviews. I actually just felt bad for them.

Thats why I don't take Gamespot too seriously.

They are somewhat...leanient is the word I think, toward certian g ames because of the hype it has.

I know it is opinion and all that, but reviews need to be accurate. If they say no flaws, then there is a problem.

There not as bad as Gamers.com though, the most biased website I have ever seen.

so I caved, I was standing in EB like an idiot, and was debating on which game to purchase, the voice of reason kept screaming "you're unemployed now" and the EB hot chick kept insisting creed was the game to get, clearly we know how this ended up

I have to say it's a lot more fun than a 7.7 from IGN (which is essentially a d from them) and while theres a lot of noticeable flaws, I predict a B, B+ tops, for this game

gabe makes an interesting point. i've been enjoying the hell out of assassin's creed, but i'm having a blast just climbing things and exploring the beautiful cities. i've been deliberately taking too long completing assassinations.

if you burst through it, you clearly see repetition, not just a little, but a very large ammount of it

if you utilize the other features inbetween key assassinations, such as killing templars, or even finding flags (theres a shit load of flags....) it really does create a different atmosphere,

that being said, the story is incredibly hit and miss with me, right now i'm confused as hell, and I'm not sure if it's a bad thing, as my character is also confused as hell... so maybe it makes sense.. to be confused

I wont delve into it, but duke you following the plot line outside the animus easily?

edit, i can tell you the games ending, without a spoiler ending!

ITS GOD DAMN BULLSHIT AND I WANT MY FUCKING 68 BUCKS BACK, FUCK YOU JADE RAYMOND

i like ambiguity, infact I applauded the cliff hanger in halo 2, because it had some variety of accomplishment, just left it massivley open for a sequel

assassins creed does none of that, it pretty much cuts off the fucking story, thats it

what the fuck, a game that spent 4-5 years in development, for what, its not the biggest graphical powrhouse, that leave sout that

flesh out the combat system? nope not here, its a one button does all feat

voice acting? walking anywhere in the city, you'll here the exact same thing, all the side missions, same fucking lines of dialogue, exact same voice, i'm getting damn tired of hearing "dirty theif, i'll have your hand for that" 85 fucking times a minute

well than it had to of been how massive the areas are... well not really, areas are directly cloned from each other, travel 4 blocks, you'll see the same thing you did 4 blocks earlier

but they must have spent all of that time on the story than, no, not only does it leave ABSOLUTLEY EVERYTHING to speculation, it manages to not resolve a single god damn fucking question desmond had

i figure they spent 4 years taking pictures of jade raymond for their fucking publicity shots, I have never felt this ripped off, ever

ghostlymatty said:
hahhahah well i def wont be gettin assasin creed now
Because of one persons opinion? That doesn't make sense to me, especially since you're allowing Icepick's opinion to carry more weight than many game reviewers, including dUKE's.

TheNesMan said:
ghostlymatty said:
hahhahah well i def wont be gettin assasin creed now
Because of one persons opinion? That doesn't make sense to me, especially since you're allowing Icepick's opinion to carry more weight than many game reviewers, including dUKE's.
nah my decision was based on the fact im more of a first person shooter player, i never really liked games that made you jump around all over the stage, like prince of peria, i never listen to icepick about anything come on now,lol,

kind of curious to the reviews omissions on the repetitive dialogue for all NPC's minus targets and those from the beaureau, also didn't like how the lack of depth in combat wasn't explained, its one button does all

also another glaring omission is the extreme lack of depth these sidemissions have, its a basic template, the first three assassinations act out the same, kill one person with a stealth kill, pick pocket one person, and interrogate one person

guess what, when you reach the enxt districts, just more of the same, now its two stealth kills... how does that deserve an A-, repetition at it's finest

save citizens, all the same situation, all the same dialogue

... it's not the worst game out, but for 4 years of development to lead to such a lack luster attempt at unique missions...

you even mention how the information is useless, because the kills are programmed to happen in a specific way, you can't catch a target walking somewhere, or by themself, it's always a cutscene and he has a group of guards... and it still gets the same rank as legend of zelda, grand theft auto, and other greats

seriously, the highest I could even give is a B-, I bought a game to be entertained, not repeat meaningless tasks over and over

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod