What remains of The Beginner's guide

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by The_bad_who, Jul 9, 2018.

1. The_bad_who

The_bad_who Novice

I know I already made a post about walking simulators, but this time I just wanted to talk about those 2 I played this weekend. What Remains of Edith Finch and The Beginner's Guide. Wow. I was just blown away by them and how the storytelling kept me wanting for more. They both share a lot : Multiple "gameplay" types, haunting story filled with sadness, but still hopeful, a very present narrator etc.

Both left me wondering what the message actually was and kept me thinking a lot even after I stopped playing them. It's what great books or movies do and it just kept reinforcing the notion that videogames ARE a form of art.

Anyone agree or not?

2. Paul Tamburro

Paul Tamburro Executive Editor
    Staff Member

Y'know, The Beginner's Guide actually really disappointed me. Funnily enough, The Stanley Parable was one of the first reviews I wrote for GR a few years back, and I gave it a 5 out of 5. I never really "got" The Beginner's Guide, and also reviewed it for GR. I might give it another shot and see if my perspective has changed in these past few years.

3. The_bad_who

The_bad_who Novice

I thought it was very targeted at and older audience who lived the same problem as the author. I fought with "addiction" to outside validation and it got me into a downward spiral and I ended up alienating a lot of my friends in the process, so this story resonated with me to my very core. But the fact it narrows down its audience, I totally understand it won't work with just anybody expecting to play a game. It's really just an interactive story after all.

4. MichaelLeri

MichaelLeri Novice

5. The_bad_who

The_bad_who Novice

That's a nice video you made there! I love being told a story, but I must admit Dear Esther got kinda boring because it has no gameplay. I thought The Beginner's Guide, even thought it doesn't have much gameplay, was able to keep me interested by having a narrator getting me involved and guiding me.

6. MichaelLeri

MichaelLeri Novice

Thanks! Those videos are always fun to make. Difficult and time consuming, but fun.
    Yeah Dear Esther was boring. No bones about that. I have The Beginner's Guide but I have yet to play it. I don't particularly fancy playing games on my laptop.