What's the best HD display technology?

• Plasma TV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LCD TV

• DLP TV

• Total voters
It's not as simple as that. There's a right choice for what size and price you want, but you can't label one type as being universally better (not even generally).

Frozen said:
For gaming, DLP all the way.

Then again I am not exactly a HDTV expert.

Yeah, but that's exactly why I'm thinking of DLP. The DLP site I linked to above promises no burn-in. This is important to me as I have a habit of passing out in front of the TV with my game paused, which has led to my current CRT TV having various meters and even a text box burned into it. I am not an HDTV expert, but from what I understand DLP is the ONLY option that guarantees this won't happen to my next set.

^ Is ithat really an issue for any of the HDTVs>? Or even newer television sets?

used44 said:
^ Is ithat really an issue for any of the HDTVs>? Or even newer television sets?
Yes it is. Especially plasma gets the burned image extremely easily. Even more easily than an old CRT.

Even though plasma has the best image quality at the moment, it also has other problems. If I have understood correctly, plasma's colours fade after a while. A year old plasma TV has significantly worse image quality than a brand new one. This means, that you can't really buy the biggest plama and the most expensive plasma and expect that you can use it for the next 10 years or so. The technology won't last that long with decent image quality... (I admit that my sources aren't entirely trustworthy, so someone can correct me if I'm lying)

Huh. I didn't know that. I thought the burn-ins had been cured. I used to have this old television set with Dr. Mario burned in on the side of the screen. :D

I can tell you for sure that the burn-in problem hasn't been fixed. Plasmas suffer from it, and though LCD don't suffer as much, here's what I got when I googled it: "LCD TVs do not suffer from burn-in, but can have a "retained pixel charge" which may also produce ghosting. Stuck pixels are also possible with an LCD display."

I went to a bunch of stores yesterday and looked at TV's. Here's what I'm thinking of getting: http://www.dlp.com/home_entertainment/h ... asp?id=856

Newer, nicer TV's don't get burn in, be they CRT, LCD, DLP, or plasma. Hope that clears that up for everybody since I saw some disabled people speak otherwise.

Uh... I still don't believe you. I saw a Plasma on display that had burn-in, and it was only a year old. But now I have chosen a side, so I have to get into these arguments. Which sucks, I thought once I actually bought the DLP TV the discussing would be over.

bootreer said:
Uh... I still don't believe you. I saw a Plasma on display that had burn-in, and it was only a year old. But now I have chosen a side, so I have to get into these arguments. Which sucks, I thought once I actually bought the DLP TV the discussing would be over.

Dude, you've been here since November, surely you've noticed discussions on GR never finish until the two sides have exhausted themselves.

Sam

maca2kx said:
bootreer said:

Dude, you've been here since November, surely you've noticed discussions on GR never finish until the two sides have exhausted themselves.

Sam

Ha, very true. Actually, here people are pretty knowledgeable, it's in my outside life that I've had the most DLP arguments in the last week.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod