What defines being a Troll, and what defines being Witty?

inb4 stop trolling, OC

used44 said:
Troll away.
Having nothing to do with my recently pitched moderator idea, this quote struck a nerve with me because it was directed at one's personal taste.

Which made me wonder, what are the difference of trolling and being witty?
Oh yes, the time has come for this question to be answered.

Before the troll term as we now know it became part of the lexicon, those people had been described as being witty or funny. Having a sharp, satirical bite. One that maybe grew up reading Mad Magazine, for instance. Now those same people fall under the troll category. It's a war on humor!
But humor's subjective, so what one may see as trolling another may only see the humor in it. So, where are the comparisons made? And by whom? Does the person who's saying the "funny" line affect the line's connotation? Or is it a timing issue? Should you stock your gems and pearls among the delicate attitudes of an entire board, or just freeball it letting them land wherever they may?
What are the differences between a troll and being funny. It's become a very black and white issue where one would think it never would be, a forum. Some guidelines would be nice. Or not?

a troll was just originally a person who intentionally would say something to get a reaction out of someone.

now a troll is just anyone who says something someone else doesn't agree with.

A troll is someone who pisses off others for their own enjoyment, using strangers online for their own selfish punchline.

Being witty is when you're making a joke that everyone can enjoy.

Those are two very different definitions, but what you're both saying if I'm correct is that it's all in the interpretation. Thanks for posting.

I was using it as a verb there. I think the definition of that is undeniably "fucking with someone." So, in context, it fit perfectly. Doesn't matter if you were doing it to be funny or mean (you're always funny, in my opinion).

The noun/title on the other hand, is a word I'm sick of seeing. Rain's definition is pretty good there.

Trolling was an art, key word there is "was"

Now every 12 year old who goes on 9gag thinks they can troll

this is trolling, http://dontevenreply.com/

saying "u jelly bro?", is not, just another internet sensation ruined by children.

also, fuck 9gag

as I was reading it, I expected "trolling is a art." D:
what a letdown.

So, used...What do you mean funny, funny how?
I make you laugh, I'm here to fucking amuse you? HOW AM I FUNNY? Yes i serious GRRR

Optimus-Crime said:
as I was reading it, I expected "trolling is a art." D:
what a letdown.
art-form.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod