Welcome to the Revolution! (Introduce yourself here!)

Discussion in 'Films, TV, Music, Books, Etc.' started by NegFactor, Feb 7, 2018.

1. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

Post a little bit about yourself here! Need some ideas?

When did you get into gaming?
    What's your favorite console?
    What's your favorite game?
    What types of games do you like?
    What are some hobbies you enjoy outside of gaming?
    ????
    PROFIT!

Share some love with us!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Paul Tamburro likes this.
  2. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

I'm NegFactor and I've been around for way longer than I care to say (my first system was a Colecovision). My favorite genre is JRPGs, though I love older survival horror games as well. My most played games of all-time include Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (I used to be semi-pro at it), Final Fantasy 4, Pokemon Y, and Contra (used to speedrun badly at it) in that order.

I'm interested in programming and linguistics and I have a fascination with horror movies (I once calculated it out and I've spent legitimately over 3 years of my life watching horror movies). Slashers are my favorite because I love the red-headed stepchild of horror that nobody else will embrace.

Paul Tamburro likes this.
  3. Paul Tamburro

Paul Tamburro Executive Editor
    Staff Member

I'm Paul Tamburro, and I joined GameRevolution as Executive Editor in September 2017. I studied media in college in the UK, received my first job in online media when I was a teenager for a popular US website, then took some time off from education to try to turn it into a full-time thing. Eventually, that time off turned into a full-time career, and I've been in this industry ever since.

I got into gaming in the early '90s when I was a kid, and though I don't have the greatest memory of that time period, the first game I remember playing was F-Zero on the SNES. The SNES was the first console I owned, and I put an extortionate amount of time into games like Super Mario World, Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and Super Star Wars. A lot of Supers on that console.

Since then I've owned most consoles, with a couple of notable exceptions such as the Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast (though I have since updated my collection to include the latter -- I still don't own an N64, though). I've never really managed to nail down a definitive list of my favourite games, but Super Mario World, Halo 2, Fallout 3, and GTA: San Andreas are probably the games I've put the most time into over the years. All were released when I didn't really have adult responsibilities, though, so that probably explains why they first come to mind.

Overwatch is my favourite modern game by a considerable stretch, and I still spend a few nights each week playing it. It's the multiplayer game that has resonated with me the most since Halo 2 (you can read about how I lost a year of my life to H2 here).

I'm a big multiplayer... player, even though I wouldn't class myself as particularly skilled. As I've moved more towards PC gaming, my aim using a controller is abhorrent, so I try to stick to mouse 'n' keyboard whenever I can. This year I'm most looking forward to RDR2, Sea of Thieves, and as I loved Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution.

Outside of gaming, I like adding new vinyls to my record collection, tabletop games, and I also have a number of other dumb hobbies that are too great in number to count. I'm a big fan of dogs too, and I currently live with a couple of fluffy kids my girlfriend and I adopted from a rescue centre.

4. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm Matt from UK. 31 - free, single and ready to ming- ...oh fuck, wrong site.

I'm a designer at the moment for a sign company. Just doing random projects - some fun, some mundane! Suppose that comes with any job?!
    Am about to start a LVL5 Diploma in web coding - should be fun.
    Got into gaming properly when the PS1 came into play - Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Spyro etc, I'd say the PS1 was my fav console as well.
    N64 was close, that that was more a multiplayer system - loved that at my freind's house!
    Favourite game is probably Wind Waker, the adventure I felt and the lols that came with it were fantastic, Viewtiful Joe is a VERY close 2nd place.
    Outside the gaming world? I'm into my football (that's SOCCER to you schmucks!!). Man Utd all the way - "Uni-TED!!"
    I'm also into my manga, not as much now but I used to dig it majorly and collect manga books. Think I still have 500+ manga books in storage somewhere!! Love to draw in the same style, just as a hobby - nothing else. Again, not really done it as much lately. Should get back into it.
    I'm also an avid golfer, I dont play often enough, but enjoy the scenery and the complexity the game and offer.

And that's all folks!

5. Longo_2_guns

Longo_2_guns Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello,
    I'm Longo, though I also go by Aquaman, the Pirate King, and on occasion Luke. Feel free to call me whatever.
    I first came on here to talk about Worms Armageddon some decade and a half ago. I still want to talk about Worms Armageddon today.

I mostly just play on PC nowadays, since I don't have much interest in anything on console, which is nice because all my friends have PCs too. I spend most of my nights playing some variant of FPS game with them all. First it was Team Fortress 2 (I played Spy), then it was Overwatch (I played Reinhardt, Reaper, and Doomfist), and now we're all playing Rainbow Six: Siege (I play Caveira and Capitao). When I play on my own, I tend to play stuff like Dark Souls or Stellaris, which are currently occupying my life for the fiftieth time each.
    Outside of that, I like sports and comic books a lot. Mostly baseball (Go Giants!) and football (Go Raiders!).

6. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

That's because Worms Armageddon is the best Worms game that will ever exist.

7. COMaestro

COMaestro Regular

I'm Chris, COMaestro on most forums I frequent, COM for short.

I essentially grew up with an Atari 2600, and when it finally broke, we got a Colecovision with a Atari 2600 attachment, letting me play all our old games and the couple of new ones we got for the new system. I was fortunate enough to win an NES in a school raffle in 4th grade, which came with Duck Hunt and Gyromite, including R.O.B. the robotic operating buddy, also known as a useless piece of tech. My dad was really cool and took me out to buy another game the same day, so I picked up Top Gun, which I had played at a friend's house and liked.

I had lots of fun with the NES, as my friends all had one too, so we'd lend games to each other. Funny enough I never finished Super Mario Bros., which many people find incredulous, because I never owned it or borrowed it, so I've just never had the opportunity to really sit and get good enough at it to reach Bowser.

Got a SNES for Christmas a number of years later, which ignited my love of RPG's with games like FFII and III (IV and VI, respectively), giving a deep story in addition to established RPG mechanics. Purchased a PS1 after my second year of college, having played and enjoyed games on my roommate's that year and wanting one for myself. Bought a PS2 after I graduated when it was a brand new system, and have just been in the PS console camp since as I really like their exclusives, though like many other people, I did pick up a Wii. Got PS3 and won my PS4 from Taco Bell. I guess I'm pretty lucky with raffles and giveaways, yet I never win the lottery... :(

Also gamed on PC, when I got one for high school. A lot of the old SSI D&D games, Wing Commander series, Ultima 7, Star Wars games, all kinds of fun. Did a lot of multiplayer Quake and Starcraft in college.

I like games of all stripes, except for sports games, which are just too repetitive for me to care about after a short amount of time. Sports kind of bore me anyway. Pretty much everything else is fair game, though I've found that I don't care all that much about multiplayer anymore. I'll play it from time to time, but give me a single-player experience any day.

As for other hobbies, I like to read and I'm really invested in board games these days, with something close to 70 games in my collection, some of which even get played regularly :) I also doodle from time to time, paint miniatures from board games occasionally (I have so many unfinished Imperial Assault figures right now, it's just sad), and watch movies and shows. I have a non-exercised interest in writing, as I come up with various ideas for a story, but never really decide where I want it to go, so never really sit and write anything out.

I am a father of two special needs kids, so they keep me pretty busy, which really limits my time for other pursuits. For this reason, I have those unfinished minis, a lot less time for reading and gaming, and a severe lack of sleep.

8. NegFactor

NegFactor Novice

You and I had some very different NES experiences. My first four games were SMB1, Legend of Zelda (gold cart!), Kid Icarus, and Spelunker. The next two games I got were Goonies II and Ghosts 'n Goblins. Mad-jealous that you got a R.O.B. unit...I always wanted one. :p

Also, much love to board gaming -- I've had to donate a lot of games as we downsized in our apartments, but I've still got about twenty games and ALL the Arkham Horror mains/expansions.

9. Master_Craig

Master_Craig Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi, I'm Craig.

I'm a thirty year old Australian and I've been coming to GameRevolution since 1999. GR used to be my go to place for cheats, codes, guides etc. I eventually signed up to the forums around 2006, but I didn't become an active user until maybe '08. I stopped coming to GR for a while because my laptop was bad and when I loaded up GR, it uh, didn't load very well... then I eventually returned!

I'm primarily a console gamer. I want to buy a new PC, but it's so much money that I would prefer to not spend. Growing up, my brothers and I were always Nintendo boys. We had the NES, SNES, the N64, a Game Cube, we had Game Boys and I eventually got a Game Boy Advanced. Eventually, my brother got a PS2 and that's when we started to broaden our horizon. In today's modern age, I mostly play the PS4, with some Switch and 3Ds. I mostly play single player games but I have been playing some multiplayer lately, such as Overwatch and Monster Hunter: World.

I like board games too, games like Zombicide, Eldritch Horror, Fury of Dracula etc. I want to get into table top roleplaying games, as I'm very interested in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire. I used to play Dungeons and Dragons about eight or so years ago, which was a heap of fun.

Most of you will remember, but I used to work for GR as well. I was a freelance artist who drew and co-wrote the weekly "GR Strips" comics. At first it was quite hard, but overtime, I was slowly given more control and eventually, the comic became totally mine. My brother (a psychologist by trade), is an excellent writer and would help me write comics, while I would draw them. I really enjoyed GR Strips and I worked on it for three years, but 2016 was an incredibly stressful year for me and I had so much on my plate, plus I wanted to venture into my own creative projects (which I've yet to, because I get slack, but drawing is a passion of mine that I would like to return to).

Outside of gaming, I work full time for the local government, working on multimedia-related projects for the department, which I've been doing for seven years now. My job used to be really stressful, but now things have gotten so much better because honestly, the person causing all that stress to me has left.

I'm really into weight lifting, nutrition and judo, which I've been practicing for nearly ten years (holding a brown belt, one step away from first dan black belt). I have a girlfriend and we've been together for over four years. I'm also getting into cosplay, as last year I attended PAX AUS as Darth Vader. I'll flick you a picture below of my cosplay (photo taken by Scott Dixon of SLDixon Photography).

[​IMG]

If anyone is interested, here is one of my GR Strips comics, number 131 titled "The Boys Are Back", my comic about Final Fantasy XV. Honestly, this is probably my favourite strip that I ever did for GR Strips.

[​IMG]

Jason Faulkner likes this.
  10. IIcepick

IIcepick Rookie

Sweet zombie jesus Mattay and Longo wtf are you still doing here... It's Icepick, I know the drastic name change will confuse you Longo, but I'm pretty sure the last time I changed my password I was on the run from the law, and no longer have access to that account. I drunkenly came back to see if there were any old timers left to share my latest exploit with, so who's still alive from the old guard?

11. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

Change scares me.

12. MattAY

MattAY Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

A few of the lads are still kicking around here somewhere. But not many, hell even Ugh has pretty much fucked off by now - we only see him if he's about to do some 24 hour Twitch marathon.

13. UghRochester

UghRochester https://www.twitch.tv/ughrochester

Wow, I don't mean to necro-post. I have been away and not alive here much, but I do still continue to come here. I'm just not here everyday like I used to be. Life!

Oh, Hi! I'm UghRochester. I came to this site one day and I can't remember why. Most likely looking for cheats. I do remember when I first started posting in the forums I was a dumbass troll. Now I'm just a dumbass. Right now I'm in a phase where I'm addicted to SNES games (preferably Super Mario World romhacks) and haven't truthfully bought any current gen games. I'm also a streamer on Twitch. I'd consider this more of a hobby than anything. UrbanMasque got me into streaming and I've been doing ever since. If I'm not visiting my family (so alone right now), working, and streaming. You'll most likely see me pop-in nowadays.

For the folks that remember me. Yes, I still work at McDonald's. Kill me!

14. WickedLiquid13

Hiya fellas. I’m WickedLiquid and when I get cold my nipples get hard.

15. Green_Lantern

Green_Lantern Forum Moderator
    Staff Member

Cool people don't lose their log in info Wicked.

16. WickedLiquid13

You’re a mod!

The mods of Olympus have abandoned me. Now there is no hope.

17. Longo_2_guns

Staff Member

If I had any idea how the new admin panel worked I would reinstate your mod status.
    But I don't, so I won't.

18. ScitizenKane

ScitizenKane Regular

...............This place has REALLY changed.....that is all.