Web Design - Anyone familiar?

Master_Craig

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking to try and get my own website up and running in the future, hopefully at some stage this year, to upload my artwork, videos etc. It'd be the place I'd want to try and house my hopeful webcomic.

Despite all I know about digital media... I know absolutely nothing about web design. My university offered nothing in web design and for my full time job, we do absolutely no web design work. All video, photography and graphic design work here instead.

Are websites like WIX and Wordpress any good? I've heard they are simple and easy to use content management systems and they could theoretically get the job done for what I need - uploading comics, having blog posts etc, maybe an online store one day. I do have my own domain name, just nothing is happening with it at the moment. In all honesty, I am a little skeptical though about their use.

I've had a look at local businesses in regards to web design... a lot of businesses seem to charge reasonably well, but they use a lot of template kinda stuff (Wordpress, WIX etc). Those who do "custom" websites charge A LOT more.

What do you guys think? Should I just try and learn something like WIX or Wordpress, or should I seek someone's help for the construction of a website? Any suggestions would be great. :)

I've seen a lot of perfectly nice looking and full-featured web comics just use Tumblr. I would try that first.

I'll check out Tumblr... is it possible to attach your own domain name to Tumblr sites?

Guess there's only one way to find out. :p

A friend of mine recommended "Drupal" I think it is. I'll have to check out both. Thanks used44!

Yeah do something like Tumblr first, then roll onto a Wordpress site, and then worry about making your own if you need to. I have no experience with Drupal myself.

Drupal can be fairly complex, if you are not used to that sort of thing. Of course that means that if you do invest the time, you will be able to do a lot more with your site. A much easier CMS to get to know, in my opinion, is probably Wordpress -- and they also offer a free blog through their site if you want to mess around and familiarize.

I actually don't recommend Tumblr if you are hoping to work towards a personal website (i.e., one with multiple facets of your life, including blog, photos, art) -- however, it would serve as a great start for a single project, like one webcomic. It's very popular, especially for visual art, content is easily shareable, it's well-integrated with other social media, and pretty casual.

For a larger project, Wordpress is quite good, because it has greater flexibility to let you personalize/organize your content, but it also provides templates and 'hand-holding' if you need it. You don't have to do anything extra if you don't want to, but you have the comfort of knowing that you can. Oh, and its popularity also provides easily-accessible help/support, which is always nice.

I'm not familiar with Wix, but it looks like it's just a site builder thingy. It'll work just fine if all you want is a pretty face, but I'd avoid it if you don't mind the adventure of doing things yourself. It's just that being independent and in control of your own webstuffs doesn't have to be too terribly difficult, so why not do it?

At the moment I am leaning toward Drupal or Wordpress. The reason being is everyone tells me that they're fairly easy CMS to use. Drupal I've been told is complicated yes, but it's been recommended if that is the option I'd prefer, e.g. more flexibility and if I don't mind the learning curve, which I don't really.

It's a tough call. I may have to look up reviews regarding this matter.

Thanks for the input and examples guys, I appreciate it. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod