Videogames being singled out, again...

Well... this sounds like all the bill will do is fund research that honestly is going on and isn't proving anything and then trying to get parental controls to be mandatory on systems.

If you are over 18 this shouldn't be an issue for you. Honestly- I'm for enforcing the ESRB- that way I don't have to hear the Government blame shit on videogames.

I totally agree with Stal on this one. Let them blame something that should only be played by adults as the source of violence in youth. The ESRB is a great thing for both parties. Don't worry, this is just another scapegoat.

I wonder how the results of that study are gonna look...it couldn't be biased since it's funded by a bill trying to trounce video games now could it?

The videogame industry has been voluntarily enforcing a ratings system, parental locks, etc. for years. A bill enforcing these steps is just another waste of money.

They've already done studies.
kids that play video games are LESS likely to commit crimes like they do on the games.
I mean..why risk jail time when you can do the crime in full 1200p, with no risks?

if anything, Video games should be given funding to make them more violent and more addictive, thus making less crimes be committed.

Personally, i like videogames being the launching ground for this - primarily because they've done a great job policing themselves, but like the article says - once you restrict the freedom of these developers you can move onto the next medium [ie.. movies, shows, books...] As long as it stays w/ videogames i'm alright - b/c i know they are just wasting their time...[ oh and taxpayer money].

I agree with you Urban, I'm glad I don't live in NY state right now because I'd be outraged at seeing my tax dollars going to waste, but since I don't live there I can sit back and laugh at their government wasting their money on something that courts are just gonna call illegal due to the first ammendment anyway. People tend to be dumb when thinking about laws that would impede other's right to free speech.

Well, I do live here and I am outraged, because this law means nothing and is a waste of time, when there are more important things like our failing education system and a major unemployment problem for New York to consider.

While I was managing a Gamestop, I told all of my employees to refuse sevice to any parent who clearly was getting a game for their kid so they don't have to deal with them

it worked too... I love the ESRB(or what it SHOULD do)

Well, yeah, if youre 18, you shouldnt care. But what about us? I have three fucking years until I can buy my own M games, and its gonna suck. Im as much of a gamer as you.

Uver said:
Well, yeah, if youre 18, you shouldnt care. But what about us? I have three f****** years until I can buy my own M games, and its gonna suck. Im as much of a gamer as you.

Yes you are. And as gamers we should unite and say F*** Off.

why is 'trying to restricting a violent game [be it people killing people or mutants or aliens]' so "in", among these conservative family types. Why not restrict barbie dolls - have you seen the anatomy/figure of a barbie doll? "No need for playboy jimmy - i've got my sisters barbie doll!"

[just trying to make a point about how ridiculous this study is - and how its a waste, but i guess im preachin to the choir]

UrbanMasque said:
Uver said:
Well, yeah, if youre 18, you shouldnt care. But what about us? I have three f****** years until I can buy my own M games, and its gonna suck. Im as much of a gamer as you.

Yes you are. And as gamers we should unite and say F*** Off.

why is 'trying to restricting a violent game [be it people killing people or mutants or aliens]' so "in", among these conservative family types. Why not restrict barbie dolls - have you seen the anatomy/figure of a barbie doll? "No need for playboy jimmy - i've got my sisters barbie doll!"

[just trying to make a point about how ridiculous this study is - and how its a waste, but i guess im preachin to the choir]

Or maybe look at some of the 'Adult themes' in generic PG-13 movies, which would traumatize kids a SHITLOAD more than pushing someone off a roof in a video game would.

I'm turning 15 in 3 months, so this really doesn't bother me (being Australian rating only goes to MA15+ for video games, and even if it did go to 18, i know the manager of a certain EB Games/Gamestop..)

If they do pass something that restricts video game violence, i say we organise a protest in which we put a video up on youtube of everything you can find on TV between 7:30 and 9:00.
I know of more than 10 certain TV shows in this time frame that would warrant an almost R18+ rating if they were video games, yet that doesn't stop them does it?

Honestly, we should ask Duke to do another one of the Video game violence graphs, that way if a ban does happen, you can print it out and glue 600 copies all around the city until they remove it.
The reason i say this is because if New York goes down, the rest of the world will follow, causing us hardcore gamers to miss out on kickass games such as Mass Effect, GTA IV, and pretty much every First Person Shooter made post-2004.

F*CK THOSE MISERABLE F*CKS! This surely means that teenagers will never be able to play violent video games again, they won't be made anymore, and all game will be rate E and all blood in every video game will be replaced with rainbows and sniper rifles will be replaced by unicorns! I mean, the same thing happened when videos games were targeted for breeding violence in 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007.

Hey, at least we get another one of duke's copy & paste waaambulance blog entries.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mncraftmod